2021 Indycar

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber

Updated from tx weekend

I had those In separate posts for a reason. First one was spotter guide, second a updated list.

Will continue to update Indy lists sporadically..

Racingelectronics will also be posting pdfs of the main indycar series.

Lol

RE Race Day Information – Racing Electronics
Updated frequencies for this weekends indy road race.
Let's see how long it takes for this post to be merged into my last post

newpykart

This is something i came across prepping for MAY credit goes to the original owner....
I cant find anything regarding tones...is this something that's not for public and they just got csq on race day?

anyone able to hear audio on race control on DMR I seem to have it all set up... but no audio I can see when they key up witch means my color code is correct? anyways I'm on a xpr4550 miles from the speedway i cant pick up spotters, teams and IMS. My antenna is at about 30'

Untitled.png

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Cubn would be the one to ask

I'll be there tomorrow morning

Media for indy grand prix
450.050, 2875,4500,4625,5375,6375,6750,8375(167.9) 8750,9250

Theres no need to combine this post with my last serriously.
454.000 IMS Radio
455.1375 Indy Pa

You are probably way to far from Indy to hear anything. The cars. you maybe here them a mileaway.. The officials you will only here them on 468...6250. Not the dmr channels. All the other Indy dmr channels that others have found are encrypted.

anyways I'm on a xpr4550 miles from the speedway i cant pick up spotters, teams and IMS. My antenna is at about 30'
View attachment 103702
In theory a spotter on top of the front stretch stands could be heard out our way, someone at track level would be blocked by the stands, it's a great Farady cage.
I'm in Pittsboro, path loss is about 115 dB to me so a 4 Watt portable with a 30 dBm ERP should give about -85 dBm signal strength on my Hytera PD-982i. I haven't heard squat on the freqs I've been scanning. We might have a terrain blockage issue since Speedway is downhill from us according to this elevation path analysis.

When I worked at the track I moved some repeaters to the museum to get the antennas lower, we were getting some RFI from the tall sites downtown. Don't know who is doing their 2 way nor where the repeaters are now.

The IRL's new app won't work on my droid like in the past so I can't listen to the crew guys I worked with, makes the race somewhat boring. A friend has a business across the street from the track, tempted to take a laptop and scanner there so I can remote control it and listen that way. The mix minus freq from the TV compound is the best for race commentary, no effects fed in, I hate trying to make out what the booth guys are saying when they switch to an in car shot and blast us with engine noise.

The good news is the race will be live here in the Indy area, my backup is to remote a PC at a cousin's house in Arizona with a USB TV tuner so I can watch the race from there.

Attachments

• speedway to pittsboro elevation.jpg
    speedway to pittsboro elevation.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 9

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
I had such a fun time I will be back there! Especially when infield is more open

It was... to some extent though they preferred u to take shuttle to museum

ind224

454.00 has made it to 46th and Keystone in the past. 317.8 for the fly over, call sign I heard was Bama One F16's 187th Fighter Wing Dannelly Alabama.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Where I live at Roache/Rader/27th I can hear almost everything. Yes almost ALL the DMR in use at IMS has been full time E.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
I re verified that all Indycar officials 2021 had and used trbo and trbo radios.. I didnt keep track of what freq cc or tgs. Since, there all enc anyways. What I tried to do is see what the channel names and numbers etc or see if.There was a channel chart on radios. I still am not sure if the one analog main freq is a rebroadcast of a digital channel. Xprs and sl models seen..
I did notice the safety crew guy had a Road America track radio and a Indy issued radio. I made a few notes on team radio use/type and also radio type of Chevy,Honda,Firestone etc

Honda sl motorbo "Honda1" on radio display
Chevy Analog
Dallara Analog

McLaren Nexedge Kenwood

Teams ChipGanassi Kenwood possible nexedge

Firestone Dmr

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The Firestone guys looked like XPR 6550's.
Ganassi folks looked like 5200's but I couldn't get close enough to verify for sure.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
The non teams. Chevy,Firestone etc.. that would be the rare catch I've wanted to get those on a freq..counter.

Haha. 5200.. is that nexedge capable

Ganassi this was the kenwood

Honda

I know others here know the models better then I. MILF I'd be willing to bet like Nascar teams.. I dont think I saw a single non dmr-nexdge capable radio.

Now like I said couple manufacturer were analog. I think media was a non dmr radio. One official from Indy actually had a re3000 on him.

Fyi The 48 Chipganassi Teams radios had "48..... RX" ok looked at that kenwood model.. That appears to be the radio used by most teams not using a moto dmr radio. Including some nascar teams..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-204356_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-204356_Gallery.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210620-205032_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-205032_Gallery.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 19

INDY72

Premium Subscriber

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
48 rx was on the nx5200 screen of crew

I wonder if this channel is got tx locked out?
Most likely that is just set to monitor the driver for "early warning" of any problems or needs. The crew chief would have a radio for both RX and TX to the driver.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Could.there also be a separate completely dif freq-channel or subchannel that crew txs on?. I saw once on a nascar car radio carx.1 or carx.2

I will post indycar freqs.. also in the other thread indylights,and usf200o

racingfan360

Could.there also be a separate completely dif freq-channel or subchannel that crew txs on?. I saw once on a nascar car radio carx.1 or carx.2

I can't give you a definitive steer for how indycar teams do this, but pretty much all motorsport teams will run a car channel and a separate pitcrew channel. In Europe the different suppliers do this in different ways:
For bigger budget teams they run the pit channel on a completely separate simplex freq away from the car channel freq.
Many series run different NXDN RAN codes for pit and car but on the same freqs, or with the same freqs but different Groups when DMR.
Some run the same RAN for both car and pit, but different NXDN groups for pit and car
Some run different NXDN Groups and then put the pit channel as simplex on the same freq as the repeater output freq of the car channel freq pair
If analog, they will use different PL or DPL codes for car and pit, often on the same freqs.

The first method is the most expensive for gear, but significantly reduces the risk of pitcrew chatter blocking a driver message or scanning missing the start of a call

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting

The media 450 and 455 frequencies for RA were all the typical already posted ones. Except for 87.9 which was local and specific to the track. I stopped searching 450 and 455 I was getting a ton of bleed over interference from something. Later when I went back to nbc. No interference

When Barry Green was crew chief for Micheal's team we set him up with a Nexus belt station with 2 PTT buttons. The top one was on the car channel, the other was for the crew.
We replaced the jack with the 2nd button and ran a cable with the headset jack out the back of the U94.

This was hooked up to a Radius mobile which had the ability to switch channels from the rear accessory jack.
The engineer at racing radios had an RC delay circuit that caused a slight delay in the PTT function, when Barry hit the crew button it forced the mobile to the pit channel about 100 ms before the the radio saw the PTT line go low.

When I was doing Chip's radios I set scan on the crew's radios with their channel as priority and the car without any, that way they knew what was going on and got any special info about the upcoming stop on their channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.