2021 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

bctrainers

Today was the first time I saw a KCPD radio ID (4000151) come up on Reg Com 4. Reg Com 3-14 are supposed to be forced clear. It was strange. Something definitely got botched up. That or they changed their minds and decided to make those talkgroups to where users have the ability to toggle the encryption on or off.
Nah, it's a configuration issue on KCMO's side of things. You should have heard the "can you hear me now" mess from a week or two ago on RegCom 3 and PS PSAP between KCPD, IPD and JaxCoSo. That was a treat to listen to...

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
If that happens (the radio transmits but in a different mode than the user selected), does the user get a beep or a yellow light or something on their radio? Or does it appear to the user like any other transmission?

Some of the radios (particularly Harris radios) have a distinct talk permit tone when the user keys up encrypted. With the Moto radios, the talk permit tone sounds the same regardless if the user is transmitting in the clear or encrypted. My BK KNG-2 P800 flashes a blue light along with the Ø symbol when someone is transmitting in encrypted mode . In unencrypted, I see a steady green light. If a user has a radio that isn't loaded with an encryption key, they will see a solid yellow light (Motorola). With Harris radios, users without encryption capabilities will just hear garble and see a key symbol on the display.

As far as the audio goes with key loaded radios, the end user won't notice a difference. The sound quality is just as good in either secure or unencrypted mode.

I can pick up Blue Springs PD on the eastern Jackson County tower and I think they might have a forced-clear dispatch talkgroup. I don't think I've ever heard anyone come up in E on that group, and I haven't heard the dispatcher remind an officer to switch. They also have a couple of patrol talkgroups that I think are forced-E; I monitored them for a while when I first set up my scanner, but I never heard anything clear, so eventually I took them out of the scan list.

Thanks!

Blue Springs PD Dispatch is clear. They had plans to go fully encrypted, but they missed the deadline established by MARC. I believe their tac channels 3801/3802 are forced encrypted.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Nah, it's a configuration issue on KCMO's side of things. You should have heard the "can you hear me now" mess from a week or two ago on RegCom 3 and PS PSAP between KCPD, IPD and JaxCoSo. That was a treat to listen to...

Oh I bet! The "PS Dispatch" talkgroup is user-select as far as the encryption goes. The majority encrypted transmissions come from the Johnson County, KS Sheriff/Overland Park PD dispatch consoles. I have yet to see any of the MO agencies transmit on 30281 in encrypted mode.

mgolden2

Oh I bet! The "PS Dispatch" talkgroup is user-select as far as the encryption goes. The majority encrypted transmissions come from the Johnson County, KS Sheriff/Overland Park PD dispatch consoles. I have yet to see any of the MO agencies transmit on 30281 in encrypted mode.

KCPD dispatch is on PS DISP in encrypted mode (accidentally) almost daily now. As recent as yesterday.....
Overland Park and JOCO Sheriff dispatch are rarely on PS DISP.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
KCPD dispatch is on PS DISP in encrypted mode (accidentally) almost daily now. As recent as yesterday.....
Overland Park and JOCO Sheriff dispatch are rarely on PS DISP.

My understanding of PS DISP is that it was only capable of ADP encryption used by the Johnson County agencies (or that was how it was initally set up when the MARRS JOCO site went live in 2009). Most agencies in the area, including KCPD, have since switched their encryption capabilities to AES, so it stands to reason why they were transmitting ∅ on that talkgroup. Overland Park and Leawood only use it in the rare event they have a pursuit or some other major incident. Johnson County SO only gets on PS DISP during vehicle pursuits, however, I haven't heard them in a while.

lexx82

This might seem like a basic question, so forgive me. Are all municipalities broadcasted on all antenna sites for the MARRS system? Example: on my SDS200 I can hear Olathe from my house in Gladstone, but I'm not hearing Lee's Summit or Independence fire. Are those only broadcasted on the antenna sites on the East side of the metro? Thanks

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
This might seem like a basic question, so forgive me. Are all municipalities broadcasted on all antenna sites for the MARRS system?

With a few exceptions, the short answer is no. For example KCPD, KCFD, NKC, Gladstone, Liberty, etc use the KCMO site, but you won't hear them on the other MARRS towers.

Example: on my SDS200 I can hear Olathe from my house in Gladstone, but I'm not hearing Lee's Summit or Independence fire. Are those only broadcasted on the antenna sites on the East side of the metro? Thanks

Independence FD uses this site MO Independence Site Details (Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS)) and Lee's Summit FD is here MO Lee's Summit Site Details (Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS)). I also live up north. IFD comes in loud and clear, not so much with Lee's Summit due to distance.

mgolden2

My understanding of PS DISP is that it was only capable of ADP encryption used by the Johnson County agencies (or that was how it was initally set up when the MARRS JOCO site went live in 2009). Most agencies in the area, including KCPD, have since switched their encryption capabilities to AES, so it stands to reason why they were transmitting ∅ on that talkgroup. Overland Park and Leawood only use it in the rare event they have a pursuit or some other major incident. Johnson County SO only gets on PS DISP during vehicle pursuits, however, I haven't heard them in a while.

Everyone is moving to AES this year so once that happens there wont be any ADP left on the system.

bctrainers

This might seem like a basic question, so forgive me. Are all municipalities broadcasted on all antenna sites for the MARRS system? Example: on my SDS200 I can hear Olathe from my house in Gladstone, but I'm not hearing Lee's Summit or Independence fire. Are those only broadcasted on the antenna sites on the East side of the metro? Thanks
MARRS supports authed-radio roaming. Talk groups on MARRS are configured to certain sites - some TG's are configured for system-wide activation (e.g., Most RegCom's). Radios, if configured, are permitted to roam all about the MARRS net.

For example [this is a rather high level], 30101 (ECC Main/Primary) will only come over JoCo MARRS. However, if there's an authenticated JoCo radio on the system that is currently somewhere in JaxCo/KCMO area, the radio will affiliate (roam) with the JaxCo site and will begin to RX and TX ECC Main (30101) to/from the subscriber on both JoCo and JaxCo sites.

So if you're picking up Olathe, check which system site your SDS200 is pulling from. If it's the JoCo site, then you're receiving the JoCo system. If it's not a JoCo site, then someone has their radio (be it an authed radio or dispatch console) tuned into the talk group. Thus allowing you, an un-authed radio user, to listen in as well.

Lee's Summit has its own micro-system within JaxCo's MARRS site; ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WRFB804 - LEES SUMMIT, CITY OF - Locations Summary

The same applies to Independence MO, they have their own micro-site within the JaxCo MARRS site for the county: Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS) Trunking System, Kansas City Metro Area, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

tecc1229

I had confirmation that the entirety of Kansas City Police Dept is moving to full encryption. 2 Zones are already encrypted (North and Shoal Creek)

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
North zone was slow to roll out and fully encrypt. :) Their radio system is about end of life..

The MARRS radio system isn't anywhere close to being end of life, however, several agencies have outdated handheld/mobile radios. Most talkgroups with the exception of Lee's Summit are P25 Phase 1 (LSPD/FD are the lone phase 2 users). Many agencies are in the process of replacing their older radios with newer ones that have P25 Phase 2 capabilities. Based on the information I have, the remainder of the system talkgroups will be converted to Phase 2 TDMA later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.