2021 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcs00

KCØDAA
Is there any talk about the P-25 MARRS system moving to phase 2 system anytime soon ? Curious if anyone can share any info? Thanks

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Is there any talk about the P-25 MARRS system moving to phase 2 system anytime soon ? Curious if anyone can share any info? Thanks

There's a fairly significant upgrade scheduled to be rolled out within the 1st quarter of this year. Phase II is part of that. Several departments are reprogramming/swapping out radios as we speak.

Lee's Summit is the lone phase 2 user on the system AFAIK.

Excelsior is also Phase II according to my pro96com logs. That's just on their site. PD/FD traffic is rebroadcast on the KCMO site in Phase 1.

Papagei

I was thinking of posting an updated version of the radio ID ranges I've seen for MARRS. It occurs to me that this might work better as a wiki page, rather than a forum post. Anybody think this is a good or bad idea?

I would include just the ranges, like "4001xxx KCMO Police", or "4007xxx KCMO Fire". I don't plan to post RIDs for any individual users, except maybe for the dispatch radios.

I've never been told "don't do that" for my forum posts about RIDs, so I assume there aren't any "official" objections (either on the part of RadioReference or of the agencies involved), but I figured I would ask. I am not employed by or affiliated with any of the agencies that use MARRS, or any radio, hardware, or software vendor.

For an example of what the proposed wiki page might look like, see my post from February 2020: 2020 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Thanks!

Papagei

tl;dr: How do the fire dispatch radios work on MARRS?

I've noticed that some of the fire dispatchers on MARRS seem to "share" radio IDs, in a way that law enforcement usually does not. For instance, whenever I've heard RIDs 4000 001 through 4000 016, they have always been for the KCMO police. 4000 017 through 4000 030 are always fire dispatchers, but sometimes I'll hear the KCMO fire dispatcher on one of those RIDs, and then days or weeks later, hear a Central Jackson County fire dispatcher on the same RID.

I assume that the dispatch center doesn't have one mobile radio bolted to the top of one power supply at each dispatcher's desk. :) Rather, the transceivers are all in a rack in the back room somewhere, and when a dispatcher keys up, "the system" selects an idle transceiver and connects their microphone to it. It just seems like some of the transceivers are dedicated to the larger users, like KCMO PD, while others get shared among multiple agencies.

Thanks!

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking of posting an updated version of the radio ID ranges I've seen for MARRS. It occurs to me that this might work better as a wiki page, rather than a forum post. Anybody think this is a good or bad idea?

I would include just the ranges, like "4001xxx KCMO Police", or "4007xxx KCMO Fire". I don't plan to post RIDs for any individual users, except maybe for the dispatch radios.

I've never been told "don't do that" for my forum posts about RIDs, so I assume there aren't any "official" objections (either on the part of RadioReference or of the agencies involved), but I figured I would ask. I am not employed by or affiliated with any of the agencies that use MARRS, or any radio, hardware, or software vendor.

For an example of what the proposed wiki page might look like, see my post from February 2020: 2020 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Thanks!

4000001-4000016 are KCPD Dispatch Consoles
4000017-4000030 are KCFD Dispatch Consoles
4000031-4000046-are dispatch consoles located at the City's backup dispatch center.
4001xxx are the KCPD Vehicle Radios (last 3 digits are the vehicle or "side" number).
40020xx are the KCPD Motorcycles
410xxxx are KCPD portables (last 4 digits are an officer's serial number)
415xxxx are the newer KCPD portables that came online within the last year or two.
4007xxx are KCFD mobile radios on the fire apparatus and ambulances.
4008xxx and 4009xxx are the KCFD portables.

tl;dr: How do the fire dispatch radios work on MARRS?

I've noticed that some of the fire dispatchers on MARRS seem to "share" radio IDs, in a way that law enforcement usually does not. For instance, whenever I've heard RIDs 4000 001 through 4000 016, they have always been for the KCMO police. 4000 017 through 4000 030 are always fire dispatchers, but sometimes I'll hear the KCMO fire dispatcher on one of those RIDs, and then days or weeks later, hear a Central Jackson County fire dispatcher on the same RID.

I assume that the dispatch center doesn't have one mobile radio bolted to the top of one power supply at each dispatcher's desk. :) Rather, the transceivers are all in a rack in the back room somewhere, and when a dispatcher keys up, "the system" selects an idle transceiver and connects their microphone to it. It just seems like some of the transceivers are dedicated to the larger users, like KCMO PD, while others get shared among multiple agencies.

Thanks!

KCFD dispatch consoles are used the same way as PD. KCFD dispatches for Central Jackson County, Claycomo, Grandview, Raytown, and South Platte Fire.

dcs00

KCØDAA
Thanks for you reply...was wondering why all the online scanner stores say you have to have a phase 2 scanner to monitor anything on the MARRS system. So right now the only one that I cannot monitor with my Uniden HP1 is the Lee's Summit stuff....will wait to upgrade then. Do you have a SDS100 by any chance?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Looks like multiple agencies are in the midst of a massive reprogramming of their subscriber radios (particularly KCFD, KCKFD, North Kansas City PD, Clay County Sheriff, and Platte County Sheriff). KCFD has been swapping out/shuffling radios around as they did back in 2017. Also, I'm beginning to see a lot of radios in the 4031xxx-4032xxx range popping up in Clay County. Could this activity have something to do with the pending Phase II upgrade and the addition of more encryption capabilities? MARC has been slow to release their MARRS management council meeting minutes for months (I haven't seen anything new since July). Anyone else noticed this?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I have a dumb question. When a changeovers to phase II occur, will talk group IDs remain the same or will they change?

They typically stay the same, however, I've seen some isolated cases on other systems where the talkgroups were completely changed. Here locally, I know several agencies are working on new templates. What will that mean? Who knows at this point, but I'm fairly certain the talkgroups will remain the same. Once the new templates roll out, the only changes we'll probably see is the the addition of 14 new REG COM channels and some police agencies switching to full encryption (KCPD being one of those agencies and possibly Platte County Sheriff). I've heard mixed things about certain PD agencies in Clay County switching to full-time encryption. That information wasn't very specific and didn't come from a credible source.

bctrainers

I have a dumb question. When a changeovers to phase II occur, will talk group IDs remain the same or will they change?
As @PVPD730 stated above, most of the time P1 to P2 transition will be quite passive. The majority of users to the system will not notice anything more different... other than audio being a bit more......... squished (12.5 vs 6.25 bandwidth slots). People that use scanners (Whistler, Uniden, etc) that do not support P2 decoding will be hearing nothing with P2 radio activations.

The new RegCom channels (Selective Secure and Secure) are live, and are getting used here and there - but primarily on the Missouri side. I've yet to see it routinely used on the Kansas side. For example, RegCom 26 (S) was last used on Dec 30, 2020 by IPD. :)

I have not heard/read/seen of any mention of talk group changes or radio ID changes on the JoCo side of things.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
The whole MARC website is slow to update stuff.

Since this is a public organization, they should keep the public informed of what is going on, we should demand more transparency.

JMHO

Who do we complain to?

HH

bctrainers

Since this is a public organization, they should keep the public informed of what is going on, we should demand more transparency.

JMHO

Who do we complain to?

HH
From Public Input - Regional Planning
  • For general information, contact MARC by email to marcinfo@marc.org; by postal mail to MARC, 600 Broadway, Suite 200, Kansas City, MO 64105; or by phone at 816/474-4240.
But that seems to be about it, outside of attending meetings?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber

JMHO

Who do we complain to?

HH

COVID has really slowed things down on their end. Not saying that's a good excuse by any means. There's no good reason why they shouldn't be able to upload those minutes in a timely manner, even if people are still working from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.