2021 MOSWIN Sites/Talkgroups

KA0KDW

I read that article and it said that it would enable them to talk with someone in St Louis. How would that work from Jasper County?
[/QUOTE
There are statwide IO channels on MOSWIN. in addition, if a JASCO officer goes to STL they can use their travel channel. Travel channels also have statewide capacities.

stlouisx50

So the sites work like cellphone towers in a way. They use thier main tower for their regular ops. Mobile units can go out of range and roam on other sites. This is why you hear TG that are not normally on a tower. Once the mobile leaves the roam tower, it goes back into local mode until a new subscriber outside of the tower needs it.
Now for communicating outside from base to base. They do this by linking the towers using inoperabiloty using the local tower to beam to other towers as in an all call type scenario. They use Regional inoperabiloty as well as can use system wide.

Think of it as a vhf repeater that signals another repeater to allow transmission on another tower, now allowing a 2nd repeater.

KA0KDW

the systems are connected in three doffent method. Dedicated t1 copper lines, dedicated fiber line, or microwave. All sites communicate with a hub server and the hub server determines if that TG can be used on the entire network or just a handful of sites.

KA0KDW

This prevents something like a travel channel from being heard on every site between Joplin and STL. Instead the channel would be heard only on sites that a radio is associated to.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
Good explanations but I'm still wondering. so jasper county doesn't have st louis city TGID's programmed neither does st louis have jasper county TGID's programmed. In order to communicate from jasper county to a st louis city radio, they both would have to switch to the same TGID? Similar to fire tac TG's

llzel

Premium Subscriber
This is where the state IO channels come in. ALL MOSWIN radios are supposed to have state IO channels.

So every radio will have IO channel Statewide programmed or each region A-I. I can see all radios having the statewide IO channels. So than Jasper County and St Louis City could communicate on, let's say MO Event 1 TGID 23695

KA0KDW

So every radio will have IO channel Statewide programmed or each region A-I. I can see all radios having the statewide IO channels. So than Jasper County and St Louis City could communicate on, let's say MO Event 1 TGID 23695
Yes they’re be able to communicate on the Mo event 1. All the radios are supposed to have the State IO channels.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
That clears it up. So each agency has their TGID's plus their region IO channels plus the statewide IO channels. Thanks for the help.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
All (?) counties on MOSWIN have a travel channel that will affiliate anywhere in the state - even ST Louis!

KA0KDW

All (?) counties on MOSWIN have a travel channel that will affiliate anywhere in the state - even ST Louis!
The one thing I don’t know is what exactly can affiliate to the zone 2 sites. There is some control on the MOSWIN where they can have certain channels not affiliate to certain sites.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Your point is exactly why there are travel Talkgroups. The roaming unit in St Louis from Jasper COunty does not affiliate with StL on his working Sheriff TG which would use a lot of air time in StL. Instead, he brings (or is allowed to affiliate with ) the travel TG which will have much less chatter in the remote location .

KA0KDW

If there is anyone in the Springfield area that can pick up the new zone 4 - site 1 full time need some help identifying a few talk groups that are not simulcasted on the analog TRS.
The talk groups sound like CU (City utilities) by language used but can’t figure out the department/division.

Talk groups are:

These talk groups have already been submitted. So if you can figure out the exact section of CU let me know.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
A New Butler County P25 Frequency was recently listed on RR.Com as158.835 MHz Conventional P25.

I found it has a NAC of 1C8, which is the same as the NAC used by the counties with TGs on MOSWIN.

I cannot find this frequency on any of the local MOSWIN towers (Poplar Bluff, Bloomfield, Doniphan, Van Buren, or Silva), using the RR.Com database.

In monitoring this frequency with one radio and Butler County SO dispatch TG 4103 on MOSWIN on another radio, they did not seem to be correlated in time but the broadcasts are the same kind of broadcasts.

Maybe I need to fire up ProCOM to see if this frequency has been added to the Poplar Bluff Troop E tower voice frequencies or maybe this is an image being reported as a new frequency?

Anyone have any ideas of what is going on?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
A New Butler County P25 Frequency was recently listed on RR.Com as158.835 MHz Conventional P25.

I found it has a NAC of 1C8, which is the same as the NAC used by the counties with TGs on MOSWIN.

I cannot find this frequency on any of the local MOSWIN towers (Poplar Bluff, Bloomfield, Doniphan, Van Buren, or Silva), using the RR.Com database.

In monitoring this frequency with one radio and Butler County SO dispatch TG 4103 on MOSWIN on another radio, they did not seem to be correlated in time but the broadcasts are the same kind of broadcasts.

Maybe I need to fire up ProCOM to see if this frequency has been added to the Poplar Bluff Troop E tower voice frequencies or maybe this is an image being reported as a new frequency?

Did you ever fire up Pro96com and see if 158.835 shows up on the Poplar Bluff VHF Moswin site?

I do see the frequency (including the listed input) has been listed at the Poplar Bluff Moswin site since the beginning according to the FCC license but it does not show a standard FB8 Station Class like the other repeater pairs do at that site.

I also noticed the WNKP890 callsign listed in the RRDB for Butler County is invalid for the 158.835 frequency. I tried searching for typo's of the callsign using the input and output frequencies listed but found nothing.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever fire up Pro96com and see if 158.835 shows up on the Poplar Bluff VHF Moswin site?

I do see the frequency (including the listed input) has been listed at the Poplar Bluff Moswin site since the beginning according to the FCC license but it does not show a standard FB8 Station Class like the other repeater pairs do at that site.

I also noticed the WNKP890 callsign listed in the RRDB for Butler County is invalid for the 158.835 frequency. I tried searching for typo's of the callsign using the input and output frequencies listed but found nothing.

Yes, today I let Pro96com run for about 9 hours and found exactly what RR database showed for the Poplar Bluff Tower which does not include 158.835 MHz

At first I thought 158.835 MHz was an input frequency for Butler County to MOSWIN because it was so weak (RSSI between -79 & -117). Butler county conventional is usually RSSI -40 and MOSWIN TG RSSI of -60. However, as I mentioned before the transmissions from 158.835 MHz do not correlate in time with the MOSWIN transmissions.

Thanks for the help and I would like to thank the people who posted the info on this frequency and the new frequencies for Poplar Bluff city. It sure has been a lot of fun trying to check them out. But I guess I have more fun to go as I do not have either of these two situations figured out yet.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes, today I let Pro96com run for about 9 hours and found exactly what RR database showed for the Poplar Bluff Tower which does not include 158.835 MHz

This is an odd one.
Did you by chance take note of any UIDs (or RIDs) seen by Pro96com on this 158.835 frequency as well as those seen on average on the Moswin Poplar Bluff site 3-008?
I guess just those used by the known Butler County talkgroup range that are listed would be the ones to watch unless actual Troop E users are the ones using it.
Seeing that the comms don't correlate in time should rule out this being used as some type of mobile extender.
It's also interesting that the frequency is tagged as a 'Public Works' service type unless that was just a typo.

I wonder if the City of Poplar Bluff is using it in the Butler county talkgroup range. I'd think the RIDs seen by Pro96com should be similar between the Poplar Bluff city PD frequency (151.0475) and any radios seen using this 158.835 frequency though. It's still strange it's licensed under the state Moswin site license for the Poplar Bluff site though.

The power limits and station class types all point to mobile use only when you look at the frequencies of 158.835 and what appears to be its input frequency of 153.800 under the Moswin call sign of WQNW995.

How long ago was 158.835 Conventional listed here in the RRDB for Butler County?

Myself and another friend here in the St Louis area both received P25 signals from the 158.835 frequency when the VHF band conditions across the state were doing some crazy things very recently. Unfortunately I did not have any logging or audio recording running when this one was spotted.
I only remember being surprised when I found out where the signal was from. That's a pretty good haul from Poplar Bluff up to the St Louis area.
I remember seeing the 1C8 NAC in DSDPlus but I didn't even notice it was apparently not a voice channel on the Poplar Bluff Moswin 3-008 site when it was heard here. I only associated the signal as a Moswin site voice channel when I saw the NAC in DSD+ but never looked further into the signal until seeing your post in the thread about the frequency.
I wish I'd have paid more attention to what DSD+ was showing me as it should have listed any talkgroups and UIDs seen when voice was heard on the frequency here, I lost my DSD+ logs for those days of the VHF band openings due to a downgrade from Win 8.1 back to Win 7.

I can't say I've ever noticed any other VHF Moswin sites licensed with an oddball frequency pair like site 3-008 has.
Seeing the same site NAC as site 3-008 uses pretty much says it's not a mistake in the license.
I did find a modification marked as Inactive dated 12/31/2013 that has an attachment with the same date. It shows that 158.835 has something to do with the US Department of Agriculture. ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0006075933 - MISSOURI, STATE OF - Administration
An Amendment was added and granted on 04/16/2014 with the same attachments as were submitted on 12/31/2013.
Maybe this has something to do with the oddity of this site and frequency.
The frequency of 158.835 has been listed without a station class of FB8 ever since the initial licensing back in June of 2011.
There was also an attachment included on 12/31/2013 that references the US Department of Justice but it does not give any frequency detail.
That also make me wonder if 158.835 has something to do with the agreement with the Dept. of Justice.

It's an oddball for sure.

nd5y

Is there any chance that the 158.835 you are receiving is really an image of one of the marine or federal frequencies in the 161-174 MHz range that are used at some MOSWIN sites?