2022 Arizona wildfire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
Marshall Fire (Show Low, Pine Top, Vernon area)
34 12.525 N
109 50.627 W

167.175 A/G-34
118.950 A/A-1 AZ02 WMZ
167.550 USFS TAC1

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Another wildfire in Flagstaff. It may be human caused.

According to the link you provided, someone is already under arrest for the fire. He has been booked into the Coconino County jail with federal law violations. If they continue to hold him, he will have to go to a federal facility.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The Angeles NF has broken two fires in the last two days. I mention that here as USFS Region 5 (CA) has resources committed to the Southwestern Region (R3) for fill in behind local resources being committed or on some of the large fires there. The wind here, 300 miles north of the Angeles is rattling my home. We have a front moving through here with some cloudiness, but only one (1) minute or less spit of rain all day. It was a 4 incher, rain drops on my western windows 4" apart. If this is moving eastward toward northern Arizona things will get messy.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
He has been booked into the Coconino County jail with federal law violations. If they continue to hold him, he will have to go to a federal facility.

Feds routinely hold criminal suspects, both pending and post-initial appearance [assuming that the suspect is ordered held for trial] in Arizona county jails on Federal holds.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Pipeline fire listen for “air attack” on 119.475 am, listen for other frequencies given out by air attack.
As always monitor 168.65 nfm for national flight following and 168.625 nfm air guard.
73, Rex

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Feds routinely hold criminal suspects, both pending and post-initial appearance [assuming that the suspect is ordered held for trial] in Arizona county jails on Federal holds.

Come to think of it yes, but for a limited amount of time. Jails have to pass muster and the feds pay the counties to hold a federal prisoner. I think he will see the nearest federal magistrate first, then the matter is forwarded up to the District Court, which is in Phoenix if I remember right. At that point I think he has to go to a federal facility, but I don't know that for sure. I'm not sure what fed prison is near Phoenix. In that case, absent a nearby prison that is, maybe the feds have the prisoner held in the Maricopa County jail. Cooperative agreements and contracts are drawn up for all sorts of contingencies.

KB7MIB

There's a federal prison off I-17 and Pioneer Rd, in the Anthem/New River area.

IIRC, there's another federal facility in Florence, but I think that may only be for CBP/ICE use.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
There's a federal prison off I-17 and Pioneer Rd, in the Anthem/New River area.

IIRC, there's another federal facility in Florence, but I think that may only be for CBP/ICE use.

Bureau of Prisons facilities are only for convicted Federal prisoners, not detainees. It is not a jail.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Come to think of it yes, but for a limited amount of time. Jails have to pass muster and the feds pay the counties to hold a federal prisoner. I think he will see the nearest federal magistrate first, then the matter is forwarded up to the District Court, which is in Phoenix if I remember right. At that point I think he has to go to a federal facility, but I don't know that for sure. I'm not sure what fed prison is near Phoenix. In that case, absent a nearby prison that is, maybe the feds have the prisoner held in the Maricopa County jail. Cooperative agreements and contracts are drawn up for all sorts of contingencies.

There is a Federal magistrate in Flagstaff and all jails have to now meet certain minimum Federally approved standards for healthcare, nutrition, staffing, pest control, and other aspects. When I was a Fed 1811, I booked arrestees into the MCSO facility on Madison Street [now the Fourth Avenue MCSO jail]. When I worked cases in SoCal, it was LA County, Riverside County, Imperial County, San Diego County, etc. jails for detention prior to the IA.

* There were exceptions where arrestees were taken to and booked into a local USMS facility, but those were exceptions and not an everyday practice.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The southwestern U.S. is quite dry right now. The law of averages puts widespread monsoonal moisture 2 1/2 weeks away. Hopefully the monsoon will arrive with sufficient moisture to knock down the fires it will start. Sometimes it can be a bit on the dry side with dry thunderstorms for a week or two or sometimes it does not arrive much at all. Time will tell. A measure of dryness that correlates to intense burning are the fuels with a diameter of 3-8" or the so called "thousand hour fuels." They are called this as it takes about 1000 hours for these fuels to catch up to the moisture levels of the environment around them. So it takes 1000 hours of wet weather, about 42.5 days, for these fuels to reach the moisture level brought on by rain, snow, high humidity, etc. Here is a map of the U.S. showing the present level of 1000 hour fuels:

U.S. 1000 Hour Fuel Map Moisture Level

Note they amount of area in Arizona with lower than 10% moisture, especially those areas where it is 5% or less. For perspective remember that lumber comes out of a drying kiln at 11-16% moisture content. So all of Arizona has dead vegetation, such as dry and dead wood laying on the surface that is drier than the lumber you buy at the lumber yard or hardware store. That is why fires are hard to suppress. The forest is similar to putting out a fire at a pallet storage facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.