2022 Ford F250 Mobile setup

chris3560

Premium Subscriber
Looks very good! So are the two Icoms just acting kind of like VHF scanners, I guess? Prefer radio instead of a consumer scanner, I guess? I completely understand if that's the case, just getting further on that.
I use the Icoms as receive only (like scanners) for VHF channels. I have a small RX combiner and they both run on 1 antenna.

chris3560

Premium Subscriber
I have to say I use the ICOM ICF121 radios also as monitors. Reason?: MUCH better receive audio from commercial radios than ham equivalents !!! I have two and I use them as ham 2 meter rigs and monitor vhf conventional PS also. Wonderful and virtually indestructible.
I have a ton of the Icom F121 radios. My only complaint is that over time the volume pot becomes unstable and volume is all over the map. Other then that, its a solid radio for conventional VHF.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Hi Chris. Well, if that's the only problem, I would just get another pot. I have had bad controls on Icoms, Kenwoods, Motorolas, Hallicrafters, Hammarlunds (yeah I'm outing my age, ha ha) and others. How are things in Yucca Valley? 73., Bob