2023 Somerset TRS Tropo Thread

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Brownout Blackout 8/21/23. Heard 20 Fire “ no contact many times, no reply, bonked out, this is the interference we have been having for the longest time ”. This is the first time I have seen (5) TV stations from Norfolk, including DTV 19.

IMG_4644.jpeg

mdsxfire

EDBM
Aren’t there another 6 or 7 frequency pairs that Somerset approved for on the 700 system? I know they need to buy the radios/equipment and install along with the towers they are working on but it feels like we have been talking about the 500 issue for a long time and not much has been done besides move all LE to 700, which now I believe we are a few years into

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is all in this thread, you will remember. Hope this helps.

FT752

The last LEO straggler, the Sheriff's Office, moved over last summer. Fire/EMS/OEM remains an ongoing project that we are indeed a few years into (first conversation with end-users in early 2020). Talk was made about some opportunity this summer, which obviously did not come to fruition.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Moving into the second wave of band openings. September and October.

The OpenMhz.com server for Somerset UHF TRS can be interesting. During events there is no TG logging noted. When the the tropo waves ebb and flow the recordings clearly show the confusion as pixels of audio rapidly go in and out.

I just hope training is being done. The emergency man down button may or may not work. I also hope the GTR label maker shows up sooner than later. The LED lights remain dark and lonely.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Site 3 (500 MHZ) received some much overdue attention recently. The result of attention to details called to appropriate parties dating back to June, so I am told.

The site was reconfigured to be more resilient to tropo that has been prevalent the few days. The CC for many years was 500.8875. This became unusable a few years back as DTV 19 crushed the signal output and systems (7) repeater inputs. Government moves slowly😉.

Recently 476.0625 (DTV 15) became the new primary CC, and 476.0125 (an alternate) Of course low power directional WFDC-DT DTV 15 from Washington DC promptly made a rare appearance overnight right on the new CC.

I saw some brief brownouts and the control channels lineup was rolling rapidly as it should due to widespread interference. A new ACC was added recently. If you have a G5 be sure you have 4 channels programmed. The RR DB has the new lineup.

Ps. Site (4) 700 MHZ is showing a -10db stronger signal than Site 3. That is noticeable.

Last edited: