2055 External Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Question regarding my 2055 (and probably numerous other RS scanners).
I'm attempting to put a weatherproof speaker for it in my grill (wow, it used to be so easy in the cars from my teens -- the 60's and 70's, what a pain now).
As a quick test I plugged into the front jack marked for headphones and didn't get much volume, kinda what I expected.
Pulling it back out of the dash will be a big pain but I'll do it at some point......is it safe to assume that plugging into the external speaker jack in the back of it will provide more audio output? Thanx.

Tom_G

Yes,
I run all my scanners via external speakers.
I use GE/Ericsson or Motorola mobile speakers and the 2055 has plenty of audio output via the rear plugs.
It will almost blow you right out of the car.

Best of luck..... Tom/G

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanx Tom,
I'll try to combine my efforts when I pull the 2055 out so that I can both wire the speakers and tweak the programming.
I guess I'll put some sort of switch in so that I can go between the grill speaker and a new speaker that I guess I'll have to install in the car.
I was surprised during a hailstorm last week to find that at full volume from the internal speaker I couldn't hear the transmissions over the noise made by the hail on the car, I kinda figured I'd have dings in the metal but I don't see any.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I've spent a good while Googling and such to no avail.
I'm trying to take the lazy route since my old eyes and soldering skills aren't what they used to be.
Has anyone seen a sort of arrangement where I can use (hopefully a right-angle) plug to go into the back of the 2055, have it come into a switch box where I can go back and forth between the grill speaker and (new) in-car speaker external to the 2055?
I know it's not rocket science to build, but it seems like something like this would be out there for about 20 bucks.
I'd like to be able to turn both speakers on but from past RR threads that can be done but can be harmful to the radio. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.