2055 Volume Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there is a tech term for this but I don't know what it is. Anyway, on my 2055s it seems as though from the click to turn on to an unacceptably high volume occurs in only a very few degrees of clockwise rotation, is this normal? Is there a hack/tweak that I can do that will bring up the volume more slowly? These knobs are small enough and with the squelch wrapped around the volume knob fine tuning the volume can be frustrating. Thanx all.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Seems like I've seen some workarounds for this problem in the past. I thought the fix related to soldering a resistor and/or capacitor between some of the lugs on the pot.

DickH

Thanks. Seems like I've seen some workarounds for this problem in the past. I thought the fix related to soldering a resistor and/or capacitor between some of the lugs on the pot.

It's in the design of the pot - called "taper". I know there is a Linear Taper, an Audio Taper and there may be others. A resistor across the arm (slider) and one side might help. It never bothered me enough to fool around with it and I don't have time now. You better keep trying to find what you saw before.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
No biggy, just trying to make life better for the sleeping spouse when I come to bed later and turn it on to what seems to be a quite enough setting (often too quiet to hear the calls)

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The volume pot already is audio taper. The problem is that GRE raised the audio stage gain above what the manufacturer of the audio output chip recommends. To restore the original recommended gain change the resistor indicated below. This should provide better control of the volume. I don't own a 2055 anymore but am interested to know if this change works well - please try it.

Attachments

• pro-2055.JPG
    pro-2055.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 267
Status
Not open for further replies.