2096 Cigarette Lighter Adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbrane

I am having no luck finding a 2096 Cigarette Lighter Adaptor. I spent 45 minutes in RS today for nothing. They say the tip is discontinued and I will just have to hard wire it to the car, no other alternatives. Anyone know where I can get one, or any other solutions?

Thank you in advance

Thayne

I think you can order it from the parts list for the 2096, rather than trying to put it together with a generic cig lighter plug & adaptor.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I found a variable voltage plug at Wally World a few years ago... it puts out 1000 ma but I can switch between 3 to 12 volts, it has a buunch of changeable plugs with it as well--including one the fits my PRO 46.... it was about ten bucks then....

Dubbin

Feed Provider
It looks like they have the plug on their website. I would find it hard to believe that they discontinued it.

TES

ScanNEIN said:
...They say the tip is discontinued...

I think the significant words in the OP's post are quoted above.

As pointed out by several in this thread the 9-Volt Vehicle DC-to-DC Adapter does exist.

The problem is that Adaptaplug "T" - used by the 2096, 2055, and possibly others - has been discontinued.

mcema699

12VDC Car Cord for 2096

I think there is some confusion here folks, maybe I am the one confused. However that being said.......

I thought he asked about the 2096 base/moble, at least thats what the first post reads.

The 2096 radio does not require 9vdc, it uses 12Vdc. The power cord for the car is in the box with the scanner. If you have lost it,or need another, order another one and put one of the lighter plugs on the cord as listed on the accessories page for the 2096

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102439

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062263

If how to do this is not clear, we'll help.

If you meant a different scanner then this will not apply. Please repost with that scanner model. If you meant a PRO96 then it does need a 12dc to 9v adapter, with the adaptaplug.

Last edited:

K3GI

I need an extra tip myself. What I'm talking about is the end (tip) that plugs into the scanner. I've been told it is discontinued. So where do we get one? None of the links posted here are about the tip.

TES

K3GI said:
I need an extra tip myself. What I'm talking about is the end (tip) that plugs into the scanner. I've been told it is discontinued. So where do we get one? None of the links posted here are about the tip.

Take a look at the seventh post in this thread.

K3GI

TES said:
Take a look at the seventh post in this thread.

My original post should have said, "Since the tip is discontinued, where do we get one? None of the links tell us where they are available."

I take it that this means any of us who are looking for the barrel plug are just plain old SOL? No source for it anywhere?

Guess when the warranty expires I'll have to modify the radio itself or find someone whose radio went up and buy their accessories.

Last edited:

TES

K3GI said:
...I take it that this means any of us who are looking for the barrel plug are just plain old SOL? No source for it anywhere?...

Adaptaplug T is still included with a few RS products: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...aptaplug+T"&kw=adaptaplug+t&parentPage=search

The business end of Adaptaplug T is an EIAJ RC-5320A type 5 plug. Google EIAJ 5 or EIAJ-05 and you'll get a lot of hits. You may have trouble finding a vendor selling lots of one or two at reasonable prices.

Good luck!

dfndr13

I have a 2096 and had to resort to the banana jack listed. Just take the wires for hardwiring and it works just fine.

Matt

mcema699 said:
The 2096 radio does not require 9vdc, it uses 12Vdc. The power cord for the car is in the box with the scanner. If you have lost it,or need another, order another one and put one of the lighter plugs on the cord as listed on the accessories page for the 2096

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102439

Status
Not open for further replies.