2096 is dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoofy

I have a pro 2096 that after many hours the audio gets kind of fuzzy sounding and weak receive of the Michigan MPSCS TRS and then the display fades out to nothing and you just get a squelch-like sound.

Cycling it off and on works for a short time. I tried resetting everything and then reprogramed it and that worked for quite a while then it starts all over again.

Anyone having this problem??

Hoofy

kilowa22

Try checking &/OR replacing the power supply, it may be getting flaky.
It appears to be losing power, if the voltage drops to 8-9 volts it would act like that.

KE4RWS

Checking the power supply would be my recommendation as well. Some of the newer scanners will actually indicate "Low Voltage" in the display if the voltage drops below a certain threshold. However, older models may not indicate this (not sure about the PRO-2096). Also make sure you don't have an over-voltage condition, as this has been known to cause similar results. Although the voltage high-limit will vary from one component to another, it typically should not exceed 16-volts, maybe a tad more.

If you have a simple volt meter you can check the supply, which should be at least 12-volts DC. It's entirely possible the power supply is the culprit and replacing it would do wonders if this is the problem. If you operate other radio gear in your "shack" and use a regulated 12-volt power supply you can simply tap into that rather than buy a new wall-wart supply (again, if that's the problem to start with).

Randy

Hoofy

I run it direct off from a 12 volt car battery that is maintained by a trickle charger and it seems to be maintained at 12.6 to 12.9 volts.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Hoofy

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
The radio's problem may have more to do with the internal power supply. The voltage regulator, or another part in the circuit, may be going bad. If you can, run the radio with the case off and when it starts to fade, give short blasts of component cooler to the parts in the power supply section. If radio springs back to life, there is a thermal problem in the power circuit. You can repair it your self or have RS repair do it for you. Be sure to indicate that it is a thermal problem.

The voltage regulator is a LM317T which is available in the store for under $3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.