22 Channel 10 Mile Range Uniden FRS/GMRS radio (Like New Pair $9.99)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAR923

These pieces of junk were on sale brand new at Circuit City recently for $15 a pair. They have a real range of abour half a mile tops and a few hundred yards if there's any obstructions. Worst of all, there's no CTCSS so you have to listen to every 12 year cursing at their friends. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and only need to only talk to someone in your backyard, I'd give these a pass.

Smerri

SAR2401 said:
These pieces of junk were on sale brand new at Circuit City recently for $15 a pair. They have a real range of abour half a mile tops and a few hundred yards if there's any obstructions. Worst of all, there's no CTCSS so you have to listen to every 12 year cursing at their friends. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and only need to only talk to someone in your backyard, I'd give these a pass.
Which is why I am glad I come here before purchasing such things.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If you wanted a cheap pair of 1/2 to 1 mile communication for something
ahaha love the range they claim to get. funny stuff

af5rn

chrismoll said:
ahaha love the range they claim to get. funny stuff
Dude, that is seriously disappointing that Uniden would engage in that level of dishonesty. They must have hired a new marketing manager from Motorola or something.

Landman

This is getting sad. FRS radios used to be good when they first came out. It used to be you couldn't find one for less than $100 per radio and that was for the cheap ones. They all worked well at first, were solidly built, and you got one to two miles out of them. Then more and more companies started making them and the outrageous range claims began. First it was five miles, then seven, then ten, and recently I have seen some that say 25 miles. As the range claims got more exaggerated the parts used to make the radios got cheaper. Each company wanted to outdo the other with their models having more inflated range claims than the others while selling for a cheaper price. To be able to sell them for a cheaper price the had to use cheaper parts. It became a vicious cycle that eventually lead to the flimsy trash with barely intelligible audio that litters store shelves today. Todays models couldn't dream of touching the quality of the first FRS radios but the range claims have gone through the roof. The are outright BOLDFACE BULL__IT LIES by the manufacturers. 99% of all Joe consumers are uneducated about radios and don't know thay they are being ripped off.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Hey, I've gotten WAY more than 25 miles out of an FRS unit.

(Of course, that was air-to-ground over the Nevada desert, but still ;) )

masonb

Hahaha, that must mean FRS can talk into space !!!

Quick, call NASA they are using the wrong radio's !!!!!!

Big_Ears

No tones - YUK.
Maybe older design that has the snap-type squelch. Very annoying indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.