220 mhz antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptCrunch

Premium Subscriber
I've been considering purchasing a 220 MHz radio however the selection of antennas is slim to none. In my case I'd not rather use a 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna unless I have to. My question is: I have a Larsen KG450UDK on glass antenna that I'm not using. Would it work if a longer whip was installed tuned to the new band and what would be the correct length? Currently this antenna has a 12 inch whip which is about 3 inches shorter than a 1/4 wave 220 antenna.

Thanks for any input.

jhooten

I would think not. The length being 12 inches would indicate it is a half wave length. A half way antenna requires matching as it is a high impedance and not a direct match to the 50 ohm transmitter. The matching components are frequency/band specific.

CptCrunch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. It was a shot in the dark since I already have the on-glass antenna sitting in a cabinet and it's a unity gain antenna, a change of the whip would work. Similar to buy a basic 1/4 wave mobile antenna and trimming to the frequency or getting a longer whip and trimming down if you need it longer. Which if my idea worked, I probably would have done.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking into a Hustler CG 220 which looks pretty good but don't really know. HRO has them.

Maybe someone here can comment about it. I've heard good things in general about Hustler though.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Diamond and Larson make 220 only NMO mount antennas. I use a Diamond 2m/220/440 CR320A antenna with very good results on all bands. I also have a Diamond 2m/220 antenna which is no longer available, but has 7db gain on 220. The 220 band is only available in ITU Region 2 (US and Canada) so it has never had the same status as 2m and 440 from the point of view of equipment manufacturers. We have several 220 repeaters in this area - so its worthwhile have the capability. By the way, you can use 220 in Somalia should you be in the area (not advisable).

prcguy

If your existing glass mount has a tuning screw you could see if it will tune a 220 half wave. Try a 2ft piece of wire in place of the existing whip and see if will achieve a good match on 220 with the tuning box. If so find a compatible whip and you are probably ok. If not you could cut the test wire shorter and see where it finally starts to tune so at least you would know the limits of the tuning box.
prcguy

I've been considering purchasing a 220 MHz radio however the selection of antennas is slim to none. In my case I'd not rather use a 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna unless I have to. My question is: I have a Larsen KG450UDK on glass antenna that I'm not using. Would it work if a longer whip was installed tuned to the new band and what would be the correct length? Currently this antenna has a 12 inch whip which is about 3 inches shorter than a 1/4 wave 220 antenna.

Thanks for any input.

N1BHH

Glass mount antennas should really be avoided outright. The lead content in glass tends to play games with you. Larsen antennas look nice, they have several. I use them all the time, have an old LM-220 I still use (about 30 years old) and I have a Jetstream JT-220 that works well too. Those Hustler antennas look ugly, too.

KA9QPN

I made a copy of this one:
http://www.arrowantennas.com/inst/OSJ220.pdf
merely because I had the aluminum angle lying around. A 5/8" CB stud mount with SO239 works just fine for the driven element mount. It's kind of an SOB to thread the aluminum rods, but it can be done. Or, just buy the stuff from Arrow. No gain, but it's dirt simple and tank rugged.

WA7JV

Re: Hustler Cg220

Big praise for the hustler co-linears. I've used the CG-144 since 1978 (not the same one LOL)
Absolutely the finest mobile 2 meter antenna ever made. I just ordered the 220 for my TM-631a kenwood.

BTW- it's a 3/8" thread mount, I use a heavy duty cb antenna mount available at any truck stop.
R & L gas the antenna for $29 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.