220 MHz Public Safety Interop use

N9JIG

Sheriff
I've seen weird packet bursts on the former HAME 1.25m range before when using my SDR down by the railroad tracks. Never managed to figure out what it was.

It almost looked similar to the bursts I see sometimes on 900 MHz from the FHSS power meters.
I think (but I am not sure) that some of the PTC data on the railroads is/was carried on 220 on some lines. That might account for the packet bursts.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
It was likely amplitude companded sideband. There were some large trunking systems that used that back many years ago. Sort of died off. Used to be able to pick up the mobile radios pretty cheap on E-bay.
Very interesting. Those would be fun to get for amateur 1.25m use.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I think (but I am not sure) that some of the PTC data on the railroads is/was carried on 220 on some lines. That might account for the packet bursts.
Ah yeah that's it, I just looked it up and you are correct. I only ever saw on one of those generalized frequency range charts that there was railroad stuff there but never knew exactly what. That's really cool and an old mystery finally solved. Thanks.