• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

220 MHz to 222 MHz, any systems online???

Status
Not open for further replies.

russbrill

Is there any REAL System being used between 220 MHz and 222 MHz. I see some paper systems in the FCC Database, but have nothing here in N. CA..

jpm

I believe they were dispatching fire units on these frequencies

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Same in the Portland, OR area. Portland General Electric now running on a 217 MHz DMR T3 system, Tait, I think.

- Chris

russbrill

Same in the Portland, OR area. Portland General Electric now running on a 217 MHz DMR T3 system, Tait, I think.

- Chris

So 32 Years later after the FCC took 220 MHz to 222 MHz from Amateur Radio, we have a handful of users on the band.. Wow!!! Where are all of those Spectrum starved users that needed a new band for their communications...

Mr_Boh

- Chris

Yeah Rappahannacok also Tait. Must be a new thing for them to push to try to vendor lock the subscribers since it's not proprietary trunking like XPT or Capacity.

So 32 Years later after the FCC took 220 MHz to 222 MHz from Amateur Radio, we have a handful of users on the band.. Wow!!! Where are all of those Spectrum starved users that needed a new band for their communications...

I figured that's why you were asking. I mean it's not like 1.25M is super hot with Amateurs. Not that it's dead either....

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

220 to 222 has an interesting history in the Boston MA area. I remember when there were several ACSSB systems all over the area, then down to a couple that seemed to hold on for a long time. They are all gone now.

The AMTS (217) band had a Passport LTR system from 2004 and then it seemed like it was gone several years later. I remember Mobex had Passport LTR systems in NYC, Philly, and DC.

The major use of both 217 and 220 bands around the area is for Positive Train Control (PTC) for Railroads. These are mainly data transmissions. AMTRAK and MBTA commuter rail on 217 and freight railroads on 220.

73 Eric

russbrill

I’m smelling a new proposal for a revised “Class-E CB Service”

Hold on everyone, it’s going to be another bumpy ride.

Do you know that was proposed back in 1973??? ARRL hated it and used all sorts of political maneuvering to kill it.. The proposal was asking for 224 MHz to 225 MHz.. So instead of wheeling and dealing with the Feds and helping them (FCC) with a major headache, the League added to the FCC's discomfort... So in 1988 the table was turned and we (Hams) got the shaft (Country song???)...

russbrill

Yeah Rappahannacok also Tait. Must be a new thing for them to push to try to vendor lock the subscribers since it's not proprietary trunking like XPT or Capacity.

I figured that's why you were asking. I mean it's not like 1.25M is super hot with Amateurs. Not that it's dead either....
For some reason 220 MHz is treated like the Arm Pitt of Radio :)

russbrill

Hello,

220 to 222 has an interesting history in the Boston MA area. I remember when there were several ACSSB systems all over the area, then down to a couple that seemed to hold on for a long time. They are all gone now.

The AMTS (217) band had a Passport LTR system from 2004 and then it seemed like it was gone several years later. I remember Mobex had Passport LTR systems in NYC, Philly, and DC.

The major use of both 217 and 220 bands around the area is for Positive Train Control (PTC) for Railroads. These are mainly data transmissions. AMTRAK and MBTA commuter rail on 217 and freight railroads on 220.

73 Eric

Cool info to know, Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.