220 on a 144/440 dualband antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLynch7

Picked up a 220 radio, a Yaesu ft-190rh for extremely little the other day, came with just the stock whip. If I hook it up to my dualband whip, should I have any issues, assuming swr is reasonable? Figured since it is pretty well right between the two bands, there shouldn't be a problem, but just curious if anyone had any experience with a similar situation.

WouffHong

220 use on 144/450 antenna

Picked up a 220 radio, a Yaesu ft-190rh for extremely little the other day, came with just the stock whip. If I hook it up to my dualband whip, should I have any issues, assuming swr is reasonable? Figured since it is pretty well right between the two bands, there shouldn't be a problem, but just curious if anyone had any experience with a similar situation.
It may seem feasible, but it is not - the 220 band IS between the 144 and 440 bands, but it is not a linear thing. :(

The 144/440 antenna segments are roughly in a seperately resonant conditions under an approximately 1:3 ratio. There is no 220 mhz resonant component in dual-band antennas.

In a whip antenna, for instance, a 19" whip is resonant at 144 Mhz as a 1/4 wave radiator - at 440 band it would be a 3/4 wave and still be close to resonant. Not on 220 :(

Again these are rough, not exact numbers or exact multiples in the example, but the bottom line is that the use on 220 would not be recommended. :)

Wouff

CLynch7

Thanks- I figured that would be how it was after flipping thru the arrl antenna book. Ah well, an excuse to goto hro!

Status
Not open for further replies.