220 Vertical recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
OK so I'm thinking about putting up a 220 vertical and getting a radio to go along with it.

For reasons I'm not going to get into, I'd definitely *prefer* something in the 3-4' range in height, but I can see doing 5-6'. 8 foot? Probably not. 10 or more? Nope.

Yes, I understand that limits my choices, and that anything I pick won't work as well as something that falls outside my restriction. But at this point "something" is better than "nothing", right?

I would also prefer an N connector, although UHF is OK.

So here are a couple potential options. Looking for anyone who has experience with any of them, and for other recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use a Tram 1494 vertical that is probably under five feet in height. I get plenty of sunshine here, so unsure about durability with snow/ice locations. It has a UHF connector and I think I had to tune it, or it may have been ready for 1.25 meter range. It has a UHF connector. Tram is like the Baofeng of antennas, low cost = easy to replace.

Your wants though point to you getting the DPD antenna. Fortunately, you can email him and ask about snow/ice durability. I have the DPD ADS-B outdoor antenna and it has held up well for almost 10 years now, to give you an idea of build.

Is nothing better than something? I ask because how much activity is there in your area on 1.25 meters? If you have scanned the band and or have the nearby repeaters programmed in on a scanner, you will already know if it is worth it for you. I use my 220 stuff for ARRL contests and when I want to use a frequency with another operator knowing we probably won't be bothered by unlicensed goofs whether we use simplex or a repeater, at least around here. Then again, the lack of use of that band is what may be drawing you to it.

UPDATE: I just read this on the DPD page. If I lived where you do I would give that one a try.

Weather Resistant: Having the elements and feed point sealed in the radome allows the antenna to be very resistant to weather and other environmental damage. This antenna is strong enough to withstand an ice storm, and will also do well in a shoreline environment.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
One other plus for the DPD antenna is lower cost, and you don't have to buy the mounting hardware as required by the Laird antenna!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
There's a $10 difference cost between the two...I have a DPD OmniX that I love, so I'm not knocking the product, but for $10 go with the Laird....professional grade over hobby grade. But do check how much activity there is on 220 near you. Sadly where I live now all the 220 requires a beam for me to make it to a repeater...when I lived in town, a GP would do.

K6GBW

Look up the Ed Fong antennas. He has a 220 model that I've used and it works very well. He'll put an N connector on it if that's what you want.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Still investigating.

As far as the "make sure there is 220 nearby" that's a very valid point. There's one 220 repeater in our county (which never seems to have any traffic) but a couple more active ones a county or two away that I can hit with an HT (standing outside) so I should be able to hit them easily with this new setup. I think 220 is a self-fulfilling prophesy unfortunately. "No one uses it" translates to "I won't buy equipment for it" which of course means "*I* won't use it". Maybe if I can get a few others interested we can turn that around locally. One can dream, right? :)

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Yes sir....I have seen 220 rise and fall around me! Literally from nothing, to a simplex net, to one or two repeaters, to several sorta busy machines on the air now! GOOD LUCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.