220MHz getting even scarcer

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
Alinco drop the 235? Bridgecom no longer shows the BCM-220? I was just about to buy one.
I bought a AnyTone AT-588V2 that claims to put out 50W on the 220MHz 1.25m band. It arrives today. We still have 9 repeaters in the area. Our local band plan allocates 7 voice (one the national call) channels and 9 packet channels.
See what I can raise out there.
It would seem the FCC has the "use it or lose it" mind-set encouraged by big bucks from the cell-tel carriers. Maybe everyone should pull their 1.25 rigs off the shelf and start contesting.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It would seem the FCC has the "use it or lose it" mind-set encouraged by big bucks from the cell-tel carriers.
I don't understand this comment. The FCC is not stopping manufacturers from producing radios for the 222 MHz band and the cellular telephone carriers have no interest in this band.

It's a chicken vs. egg problem. There's not much activity because there aren't many radios. There aren't many radios because there's not much activity. But, the real issue is that the 222 MHz band is only available to amateur radio in ITU Region 2 (roughly North and South America). The market isn't big enough for the Japanese radio manufacturers to spend a lot of effort developing radios for the 222 MHz band.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I've got flamed before for suggesting this, but, hams should think about moving the main brunt of digital to 1.25 meters. I'm not saying abandon 2 meter or 70 centimeter, just start at least experimenting with digital and other modes on 1.25.

We had a club member that had a 1.25 repeater and couldn't give it away. Twas a shame. I had no place to put it and neither did any of the other members. We shouldn't let 1.25 go the way of the Dodo!

jhooten

Bought a Jetstream JT-220 when they first came out. I lasted about six months before self destructing. Replaced it with the TYT 9000. It is still cooking along almost ten years later. Granted the transmitter section has seen little use but when I'm in the truck it is on and in scan. I may have made five contacts on it since I've had it.

For hand helds I have a Kenwood TH-F6 and Alinco DJ-G29 (if only they would have made a mobile version of that one).

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
It's a shame seeing how little use the band gets. My only 220 capable radio is a Kenwood TH-D74 handheld and we only have one repeater locally. At least I can be counted as an occasional 1.25 cm user. -- But I've never tried 220 on D-STAR :)

Just to add.. There is a surprising amount of weak signal SSB/CW activity on 1.25cm. Transverters for the band are readily available. (We actually have more SSB activity on 220 than we do on FM)..

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Bridgecom no longer shows the BCM-220?
Well, that sucks! Bridgecom carried the BCH-220 HT for several years. I bought one for $85 at the first Xenia based Dayton Hamvention. They dropped that after only a few years. When the BCM-220 appeared I instantly bought one. But now they've dropped it also? Sheesh! :mad:

For the record, I really like both the HT and the mobile 220 radios. They were inexpensive and built well.

EDIT: DX Engineering shows the BCM-220 in stock, and there is at least one listed on FleaBay for sale.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It is interesting that the MD520T only does 5W max on 220, but it is probably the max the chip can handle for that band. I have the Anytone 588 and I get all the ladies with my extra watts! It usually sits in my contesting box of radios, but I should pop up an antenna in the garage and keep it fired up on the shelf.

I use 1.25 meters for more than just contesting with handhelds and the characteristics are really interesting. If we didn't have P25 around here, we would probably use 220 more often. We even have a neolithic Icom 220 repeater and it works rather well. I think it was made in the 80's. At one time I even interfaced it with a Raspberry Pi controller using a DMK URIx. That Icom is a battle wagon.

I wish Icom made a 220 MHz D-Star repeater. I'm about to whip up the ID-RP2C controller for the 2m/70cm/23cm repeaters and the D74A would have some fun with that band.

MASTER48

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, Alinco now has a tri-band DMR mobile, the DR-MD520T

That's very interesting, and the first I've heard of it.

I believe that the Anytone and Alinco DMR radios are built by the same manufacturer. Compare the Alinco DJ-MD5 to the Anytone 878. Different form factor, but same (or similar) features and the same CPS.

Alinco introduced the DR-MD500T last year. It looks like a Anytone 578 with a redesigned face plate (the body is the same) and similar features, but one difference is that it's dual-band (2m/70cm) only. Not sure why they would do that, and the turn around and introduce a tri-band version. Perhaps they feel that the demand for 220 is there!

5w on 220 doesn't excite me though, and I bought a BCM-220 about a month ago. I probably would have opted for an Alinco 235 but I was a couple months too late. Sounds like I lucked out getting the Bridgecom before it was discontinued too.

I had been seriously considering a MD500T since I put my 578 in my truck. Maybe I'll wait and get a MD520T instead, or maybe the price on the 500 will drop!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Does Moto make anything in 220 for DMR or P25? Or even analog?
No DMR or P25, but the CDM series and Pro series variants are capable of 220MHz operation, but require modifications to work properly and need a full tuning:
Even scarcer are 220MHz Jedi radios, an Asian variant of the MTS2000 was made known as the MOF230.

Both of these radios fetch pretty high prices IMO.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It seems odd it only transmits at 5W, right?
Because it doesn't have a PA capable of producing more than 5 watts on 222 MHz. Someone in engineering figured out that the radio-on-a-chip they are using will receive and transmit on the 222 band, but the guy responsible for the PA reminded the other guys "yeah, but we can only make 5 watts unless we use a different PA" at which point the accounting guys shook their heads "no". Yaesu has done the same thing with some of their 222-capable handhelds--5 watts on 144 and 440 bands, but only 1.5 watts on 222.

jhooten

Because it doesn't have a PA capable of producing more than 5 watts on 222 MHz. Someone in engineering figured out that the radio-on-a-chip they are using will receive and transmit on the 222 band, but the guy responsible for the PA reminded the other guys "yeah, but we can only make 5 watts unless we use a different PA" at which point the accounting guys shook their heads "no". Yaesu has done the same thing with some of their 222-capable handhelds--5 watts on 144 and 440 bands, but only 1.5 watts on 222.

That is the main reason I went with the Kenwood TH-F6.