220mhz question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestallion

I was wondering how many of you use the 220 band. Few friends of mine and i are looking at getting a few rigs to try out. There are a few repeaters around my area for the band. Was just wondering if anyone had any pros vs. cons about the band. Anything you guys have about this would be great to hear. Thank you to anyone that can help.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I have used 220 regularly for the past couple of years with an Alinco DR-235 both mobile and base. Propagation is about like 2 meters. A 5/8 wave mag mount works quite well mobile or as a base antenna. I like 220.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Propagation is about like 2 meters.
But, the 220 band is much quieter. Less stuff there to cause interference or raise the noise floor. On the other hand, if there's a TV station in your area that is transmitting on RF channel 13 (210-216 MHz), you may notice some noise generated by the TV transmitter. Other than that, it's an interesting band which suffers from a lack of available equipment.

bluestallion

thank you for the replies. My friends and i are looking for a quietier band so thats good. We use 144 and 440, but most of the time there are older people (no offense to anyone) that talk on the bands and never give a chance for us to jump in. This is wanting me to get on the band more. Now just got to find some gear

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's quiet mainly because it's underutilized. It's had its ups and downs, I started out with an old not so user friendly rig with a few friends on simplex and a wide area repeater and then they drifted away and the repeater went dark. After a quiet spell another upswing, everybody just HAD to have 220 and a bunch of new repeaters went up, then it fell flat again. Strange band it is but unlike 2M or 70cM a group can talk all day long without interruption, a nice place for peace and quiet.

I know what you mean, I'm one of those OFs and have had the same experience with the cliques being courteous at first but invariably end up talking around me conveniently forgetting I was ever there. BTW, once upon a time there was a club with a 2M repeater that was bad enough but then there was their secret 220 machine and the "220 Elite". To make a long story short, a friend and I started using it just to tick them off and it did, to borrow a line from a song; my secret love's no secret... anymore. (;->)

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
Check out the Kenwood TH-F6A. I love mine. I bought it specifically because it has the 220 band as well as 2m/440. It has 5w all bands. Some radios that include 220 as an after thought are low power (like 1w or .5w) on 220. I just wish Kenwood would make a mobile version of this radio with 50w all bands. I'd have one in my vehicle if they did.

gewecke

Banned
As w9jy stated, The kenwood thf6 would be an excellent talkie to take to the 220mhz band, I wish I had one in my arsenal of radios. However I do have a nice kenwood TH-315 and my yaesu vx-6, both of which I use our local 220mhz repeater.

n9zas

K4APR

As w9jy stated, The kenwood thf6 would be an excellent talkie to take to the 220mhz band, I wish I had one in my arsenal of radios. However I do have a nice kenwood TH-315 and my yaesu vx-6, both of which I use our local 220mhz repeater.

Don't forget the Wouxun with 2m and 220. I'm looking at picking a couple of those up so I can start using 220 more. I had a VX7 years ago, but as someone else mentioned 220 always seems to be an afterthought and it was only good for about 0.5W, maybe 1W at the most. I don't quite remember. There was enough about that radio that I didn't like to make me get rid of it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I wish Wouxon would come out with a 220 and 440 model. Then I would have my two favorite bands in a single radio. Also, even though a bit pricey, check out the new Alinco with 220 and 900. If you want two really quiet bands, you got'em right there!

EDIT #2: Ha! I was just checking out www.wouxun.us and saw they just added a 220 mobile: http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=275&category_id=59

Last edited:

jhooten

I have the Alinco on order from two different sources, impatiently waiting. The Jetstream JT220M does 50 watts, can be found on that unnamed auction site for $230, and so far has worked well. Second for the TH-F6. It gives you watts on 220 unlike the Yaesu which only does milliwatts.

gewecke

Banned
I have the Alinco on order from two different sources, impatiently waiting. The Jetstream JT220M does 50 watts, can be found on that unnamed auction site for $230, and so far has worked well. Second for the TH-F6. It gives you watts on 220 unlike the Yaesu which only does milliwatts.

Fyi - The yaesu vx6r will do 1.5 watts out per factory specs, and I have no problem getting into our local 220 machine on L1 (lowest setting) from approx 2 miles away full quieting on the stock duck!
220 mhz. doesn't always require a full 5 watts.

n9zas

jhooten

Okay the VX6 is rated 1.5 watts. The VX7 is rated at 300 mW. Mine almost makes it to 250 mW at the antenna connector. That does not get me to the nearest machine, which is 16 miles from me, even on a mobile antenna.

gewecke

Banned
Okay the VX6 is rated 1.5 watts. The VX7 is rated at 300 mW. Mine almost makes it to 250 mW at the antenna connector. That does not get me to the nearest machine, which is 16 miles from me, even on a mobile antenna.

Hopefully someone will read encouraging remarks on RR concerning the benefits of 220 mhz. and maybe put another machine on the air in your area? 16 miles is a bit of a stretch for any talkie.

n9zas

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
I occasionally use 220. Before moving to WV here, I used a 220 linked system to talk to friends half way across the state. It was fun. Going to try to get in on 220 all mode to add to my 6, 2, and 432 all mode station. Wish there was more people on that band.

jhooten

Neither the county club or the ARES folks see the need for one. Soooooooo I'll start Saturday at the San Antonio hamfest looking for parts to build my own. Then a 900. Maybe even a 1.2 if I can find the stuff to build one of them. Those are all bands that need more activity.

smokeybehr

California has a wide area network that covers a large portion of the state on 220. I've been a 220 user since the '80s using the same Icom IC-37a the whole time. It's a workhorse of a radio, and is showing its age, but it works like a champ.

The Motorola CDM mobiles that are in the 220 range can be programmed for the ham bands with no problem at all. There are some Motorola 220 HTs that show up on eBay from East Asia, but nobody has been able to make them work right.

W5RDW

I have been on 220 MHz FM since early 1980, when I built my first 220 repeater. For repeaters, the 220 band has always been a very quite band and I can't remember the last time I have heard any interference on the band....no intermod, random signals, etc. In this area of N. Texas, 220 FM activity was at its peak in the 1980 to 1990 time period, but has since falling somewhat. There are still a lot of 220 repeaters around, but they are very quite. If one is looking to build a repeater, 220 MHz is the place to go. With the advent of the inexpensive 220 talkies now on the market, finding a radio is easy, albeit a little low power for some repeaters.

Roger W5RDW
Murphy, Texas
223.820 repeater

Clayton404

We have a few 220 repeaters around here. I've been debating on finding a decent priced HT to use. Is the siginal about the same as 2m and 70?

Status
Not open for further replies.