222 MHz band radios and usage

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
222 is a good band just because it is used so little. When storm spotting, we would use it because very few people included it in their scanner database and we didn't have reports like "it isn't raining here yet" that we would get on the official 2 meter storm watch net.

Was 222 still monitored as a local NWS net control station when you used it for spotting even though it may not have been the "official" 2 meter net? Our local weather nets certainly receive their fair share of non-reportable conditions like 'heavy rain' or the 'sirens are sounding', in addition to often scratchy rough to copy signals.

skynet888

Have you compared 220 MHz with 2 meters (or other bands) across the same 60 km simplex path while keeping things as equal as possible to see if 220 MHz "talks farther"? I'm guessing a lower noise floor on 220 helps a lot.

I enjoy comparing propagation on the VHF/UHF ham bands but don't have a good way to fairly test base to mobile simplex on 220 MHz. I have both the Alinco DR-235 and an AnyTone AT-588 (basically same radio as the TYT-9000D) which are nice radios, but it's still really unfortunate none of the "big 3" make a monobander mobile for 1.25m.
Yes I have compared 2 meters against 220mhz and 220 mhz signal moves through buildings much better from my experience so the signal isn't interrupted as much.
You have some nice radios :) I am very happy to have chinese radios at the fraction of the cost of the big three and work just fine in my opinion.

skynet888

Cool the radio looks ok.
I have four mobile and four HT 220mhz radios so I have enough. In fact I need to sell a couple lol

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
The TH-D74 is a APRS/DSTAR radio with if out thru the USB connector plus computer controlled, It does have a few bells and whistles to it besides being triband.
Yes, very unfortunately out of production and nothing similar forthcoming.
You find a TH-D74 in decent shape, get it. Welll, maybe not for $1000 asked, but you know what I mean.

222 MHz wasn't why I got one but it did get me back on that band after a long hiatus.
222 was the band I used for about 90% of VHF/UHF hamming in the SF Bay Area.

A lucky find was the Ultralife A320 amplifier - boosts the radio up to 20W, works from 30 to 500 MHz. One radio + small amp does 3 bands, APRS, D-Star, and more.

I still have an Alinco DJ-G29 222 / 900 HT. I oughta sell it. I have enough 900 stuff to fill a closet.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Was 222 still monitored as a local NWS net control station when you used it for spotting even though it may not have been the "official" 2 meter net? Our local weather nets certainly receive their fair share of non-reportable conditions like 'heavy rain' or the 'sirens are sounding', in addition to often scratchy rough to copy signals.
Not monitored or used for normal storm reporting, but for any true immediate emergency. In the time I lved in that area, we had three tornadoes and a derecho without using it, but it was a good repeater and could have handled anything the 2 meter did.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
If anyone cares :), Main Trading Company (mtcradio.com) has the TYT TH-350 HT for $59.99 (about $10 cheaper than anywhere else) and the TYT TH-9000D 222 version for $119 (I paid $137).

Just sayin'.

skynet888

I have two TYT 9000D radios been using them for five years now, work flawlessly. I thought maybe the one in my car might take our harsh winters but no problem.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Im a public safety radio fanboy and have had one of these radios for a short period of time. For what they are, these are solid radios and I still have the 878. Would love to get another 578 to have 220.
From my research, the Anytone D578 PRO does not include the 222 band while the standard Anytone D578 does include the 222 band. I own the one with 222 included.

K9RPL

Glad I held on to my TH-31BT.

Wife gave it to me as a birthday present over 30+ years ago. She bought it at the old Erickson's in Chicago back in the day. Rebuilt the battery packs last year. Still works. Won't sell it ever. Sits next to my IC-u4AT and IC-2AT that I bought new a couple of years after I got my ticket.

Yeah I'm that old .

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Well I have my THD74A along with a FT70DR and a Anytone 878UVII Plus, and the D74 is programmed with a few 220 repeaters in my area plus can do some swl listening on it to

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
TYT's 220 mHz version of their 9800 model puts out 50 watts of RF...
I got a TYT TH-9800D, the 222 MHz version, from a silent key's estate. In spite of power output claims, it would only produce about 33 watts. I find that the power output claims on CCRs are often inflated.

jhooten

IF you can trust Bridgecom they show a triband mobile DMR radio that includes 220.

Gigaparts also show it ready to ship.

(Since I can edit that post I'll do it this way)

I just noticed I put the wrong link, that one was for the PRO which does not have 220. The correct link is:

Super !---I have TH-41..... sort of.

The plastic case on mine was a very brittle material, which did not suffer even minor drops well. In short order it quite literally splintered to pieces, and all the expoxy in the world couldn't put it back together.

But it has a happier fate. I re-built it into a new plastic case, added a 12-to-5 volt power chip, --and now a with a Radio Shack simplex repeater it sits on a nearby hilltop with its own little solar panel as a 'Parrot Repeater" - 447.0 in, 442.0 out.
Out were I am this is all quite worthless; there isn't a possible other user for a zillion miles..... but I can 'bring it up" any time and hear my dulcet voice come back to me.
Hey !, I couldn't let the little busted up radio languish forgotten in some drawer.... :giggle:
It was a fun project.

To round this out, I had the 220 version too. Still do, somewhere- though its batteries were long ago replaced with a 5 volt regulator chip so it could be run off of 12 volts (like the 41, above.)
I got mine to talk to a friend who just got their Novice license.... and I must admit that that has been my limit of excursion onto 220.
But one - my only memorable 220 ("222") contact that stands out-- was with this friend--

I was to travel from Billings Montana down to Casper Wyoming on a small commuter plane. I asked the pilot if it would be okay if I used my radio during the flight- that my new ham friend would get a kick out of talking to me as I flew---- he said it would be fine.

We were able to talk for well over 30 minutes as the plane flew south towards Wyoming --until everything went white noise.
To this day my friend still recalls this QSO..... and come to think of it, it stands out for me too. I haven't made a meaningful 220 ("222") contact since.

Lauri

89ab(3)4.4.jpg

rescuecomm

I used to have both an Icom 38A and a Kenwood 331 mobile. Donated the 38A to the County EOC and then the 331 was stolen. Just got a TYT-9000D to try out in place of the Alinco 06 6 meter in the mobile. Local guy has both 222 repeaters in the area up and running. A couple more south of me. We will see if there is any activity.