228.9000 Norad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemi

228.9000? I recived comms on this freq last night. I herd red one being called . Several times through out the eveving this freq was active. Any ideas who it would be? Thanks guys:lol:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
That's one of the freqs for Huntress control, based somewhere out of NY I believe. The other is 260.9.

For Selfridge ANGB (Harrison Twp Michigan)

282.800 ACM
228.900 ACM / AWACS
301.600 ACM
364.200 AWACS / HUNTRESS ( NORAD )
238.900 Air Refueling near Thumb area

hemi said:
Thanks. Iam up in Ontario Canada, so on a good night N.Y. state is possible to recive.

I saw Ontario but did not look up where the city was loacatd in the Province.

Ontario is right out my window too and I am in Michigan :) With the tropo the last sevral weeks we are gettign some signals from quite a distance.

d_strong

228.900 Norad ?

Does anyone know what frequencies are used in New York state besides 228.900 and 260.900 for huntress operations.Thanks

d_strong

Huntress

Callsign used by NORAD control stations during training and AICC operations. AICC operations would be airborne intercept command & control. 364.200 AM would be the Norad AICC nationwide common frequency. I hope this answers your question.

wa8vzq

Just to add some comments on the "Huntress" callsign. This is used by NORAD NEADS (north east air defense sector). They also use "Goliath" and the use is apparently divided by geography. Here in MN they use Huntress. You may also hear "Northern Lights". This is the technical ops group who work on electronic equipment issues.

In WADS (western area) they mostly use "Bigfoot" or "Sierra Pete". Here in MN which is conveniently on the NEADS/WADS/SEADS/CANR boundary,
I always hear "Bigfoot". In the southern NORAD region SEADS they appear to use either "Oak Grove" or "Okie Sam" and in Canada they use "Ringmaster". Although I hear activity on some of their freq's, I haven't caught any one calling Okie Sam or Ringmaster, yet. (and they're kind of weak)

http://www.neads.ang.af.mil

Dan

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
For reference, 364.200 has been a NATO Common freq over here for some time, until we had the big UHF Air changes this January. I take it that didn't happen in the US?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No, 364.2 remains as it has in the past - it's a Nationwide NORAD intercepts frequency. However, your point is correct - in the last year or so, many approach/departure freqs have moved to a .25 khz spacing, and the 380-390 mhz band is now used by APCO-25 digital trunking systems. That means users that were in the area had to relocate.

73s Mike

wa8vzq

I agree on the Goliath call with AWACS- pulled the NORAD
reference list from another site - I've only heard huntress here
in MN. I'd venture to say that much but not necessarily all
AWACS activity is NORAD related - so perhaps the reason
for the listing on the other website as such

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.