231.175 MHz, AM Mode. What Is This? Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrMRB

231.175 MHz, AM Mode. What Is This?

I've had three scanners searching 1 meg increments starting at 230 MHz, AM Mode, and came across this frequency. Take a listen in the AM Mode and lets see what we can figure out. Active On and Off and sounds like military planes carrying personnel around. It's very informal and last night around 2:30AM a woman was talking about the personnel getting restless and they were putting on a movie. Only one side of the communication is ever heard so I think it's planes aloft communicating with ground station/s.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet what you heard was a wireless mic or intercom system - which might account for only hearing one side of the conversation. It's not so uncommon for such low power systems to be in bands that manufacturers think are 'unused or lightly used'. A case in point is garage door openers - in fact, there was just such an article several weeks ago about a suspected 380 mhz system interfering with these devices - I think it was up in Canada, at a military bases?

There's been a couple of reports much like the above in the past. Normally I would think this is covered under Part 15 FCC rules, but if it was indeed military you heard, then obviously that wouldn't apply. 73s Mike

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Why would a wireless mic/intercom be talking about "persionnel" if it wasn't military. I'm pretty sure civilans aren't referred to as "personel".

Just a thought.

MacombMonitor

Napalm said:
Why would a wireless mic/intercom be talking about "persionnel" if it wasn't military. I'm pretty sure civilans aren't referred to as "personnel".

Just a thought.

The term "personnel" is commonly used by civilians in every day business communications.

M

MrMRB

Located in Rosemount Minnesota, Antenna mounted on a 70ft tower.

wa8vzq

My first guess is that you are hearing some 34th ID activity since they have a few locations in Rosemount. Second guess is traffic from Ft. Snelling, thrid guess is the aviation unit from St. Paul. Common freqs for them are 41.500 FM, 241.000, 126.200, 347.700. Last guess is either Camp Ripley or Ft McCoy

Had the 231.175 up on the scanner with ARC-250-PRO in record mode all night - nothing heard in Apple Valley

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.