246T - New Housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
My BC-246T is heavily damaged from a lot of accidental drops. I didn't care until recently -- I dropped it on my driveway, it landed on a stone, and the stone scratched the entire screen (it's almost difficult to see now). I had purchased a new battery door and front faceplate from Uniden a while back (I still have it all in the packaging) but was wondering if it's possible to buy a new backing for the unit, as well as a new cover for the LCD screen. Any thoughts? Uniden says you cannot buy the backing or the LCD cover......

Thanks.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Not too sure what you mean.... the actual housing over top of the LCD screen is cracked. The screen itself works fine, but the plastic over it is what's damaged...

n2mdk

Wouldn't the clear plastic piece be part of the front cover/faceplate if you bought one.

JnglMassiv

Not too sure what you mean.... the actual housing over top of the LCD screen is cracked. The screen itself works fine, but the plastic over it is what's damaged...
I think he's saying to cut a piece of transparent plastic to replace the transparent plastic over the screen. That part appears bonded to the facepiece and is probably pretty tough to remove the old and install the new properly. Makes sense that the whole thing comes assembled.

To the OP, I'd add a new keypad if your 246 looks anything like mine. I recall it's an inexpenvie part (sub-$10) and since you're placing an order and opening the radio anyway...

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, the keypad was the one thing I forgot to order unfortunately -- but I do need a new one!

Haven't opened the casing yet, but I know for sure that the faceplate and transparent screen cover are not attached (the faceplate that I ordered from Uniden did NOT come with a transparent screen cover).

Status
Not open for further replies.