25 MHZ Rescue/Emer.comms and solar flare

p1879

Does anyone have info about this 25 MHZ system mentioned in this article? Or did they throw this bone to the press to overwhelm them with tech talk; perhaps like the Best Buy computer salesman to Granny?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The petroleum industry has some frequency allocations in the 25MHz range, but I suspect that the author made a typo, or just typed something that she thought she heard.

There are no Part 90 -Public Safety- allocations in that part of the band. The feds may use it, but finding exact federal frequency allocations can be difficult. The NTIA redbook has a frequency allocation guide, but it's usually not much help.
Usually stuff in that range is the petroleum industry stuff mentioned above, or marine HF.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have info about this 25 MHZ system mentioned in this article? Or did they throw this bone to the press to overwhelm them with tech talk; perhaps like the Best Buy computer salesman to Granny?

The article says radios using UP TO 25 MHZ may be affected.

p1879

I am so oft fallible, that the quote is included for your interpretation :

"The radio blackout, classed by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) as a strong R3 category, likely affected rescue workers using 25 MHz radios to communicate in areas where the rampage of Hurricane Ian knocked down cell phone networks. "

FWIW--- years ago when I was doing projects in the Pacific we were authorized the use of approximately ten 25MHz HF international marine band 'channels' -- from 25.100 to ~25. 200. We never used them, considering them 'junk' frequencies, but they are still (?) allocated for maritime use.

Lauri

ecps92

Curious if this was to read , "Up to 25 mhz", since HF is where SHARES operates

With No one on the internet paying a Copy Editor anymore, nor even those still in Print, the amazing headlines
with typos galore are another dumbing down of our societies.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
I am so oft fallible, that the quote is included for your interpretation :

"The radio blackout, classed by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) as a strong R3 category, likely affected rescue workers using 25 MHz radios to communicate in areas where the rampage of Hurricane Ian knocked down cell phone networks. "
Active Region 3110 becoming even more fiery now with an X1.0-class flare--its strong high frequency radio blackout may last upwards of an hour and impact #Ian emergency responders using up to 25 MHz radios.

p1879

I have no doubt it was meant to to say "up to 25 MHZ", but the referenced article did not say that. My primary point was to ridicule how, in general, the press promulgates all types of inaccuracies upon the ignorant masses. Claiming that the (quote from article) " rescue workers using 25 MHz radios" were affected is the example.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
I have no doubt it was meant to to say "up to 25 MHZ", but the referenced article did not say that. My primary point was to ridicule how, in general, the press promulgates all types of inaccuracies upon the ignorant masses. Claiming that the (quote from article) " rescue workers using 25 MHz radios" were affected is the example.
I agree with you; I clicked on SpaceWeatherWatch which is in the second paragraph of the article and that's where the up to 25MHz was found. I hate when any news media on TV will play parts of an interview and will cut out some parts to make it sound like the person is saying something totally different than if you listened to the whole interview.