$25 million awarded for radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Denver:

The council awarded a $25 million contract to the M/A-Com firm to create a cutting-edge public dispatch radio system.

Slated to begin operating late next year, the new radio system will end hazardous communication "dead spots" in some parts of the city and in large buildings where police, firefighters and paramedics can't hear calls from dispatchers or talk to colleagues during emergencies.

Jim<

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
Denver:

The council awarded a $25 million contract to the M/A-Com firm to create a cutting-edge public dispatch radio system.

Slated to begin operating late next year, the new radio system will end hazardous communication "dead spots" in some parts of the city and in large buildings where police, firefighters and paramedics can't hear calls from dispatchers or talk to colleagues during emergencies.

Jim<

It is not scannable. Has anyone heard of an M/A-Com public safety system that has worked
as promised yet? Pennsylvania has been in a testing mode with it for a couple years now. I believe non emergency type stuff is on it only. When I was working at DOT the audio quality was very poor.

SCPD

QRT
Well I hate to dispute the out of state experts, but this is an upgrade to Denver's existing system. 2 things will make it not be scannable by a standard scanner:

1. Provoice - They already have this capability and use it to a limited extent.

2. ESK - If they flip the "switch" for the jumbled up control channel. Some people in charge want to do this.

BTW M/A-Com makes at least 3 kinds of systems. This one is still EDACS.

Last edited:

Thayne

25 mill ought to buy one new radio with ProVoice & ESK for everybody that wants one, don't ya think?? Maybe it will motivate some creativity out here--

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
So is this new system scannable?

There are many questions remaining to be answered and that will be one of them.

But remember they are not building an entire new system and/or replacing completely there existing system this is an add on.

Jim<

BobWeb

I love the fact that they think it will eliminate dead spots. Obviously, they didn't follow the issues Aurora had with their implementation. I just hope they do better with them.

rfburns

I thought ProVoice wasn't going to be used until 2 or 3 years after the completion of the simulcast system. Have to get all the bugs out first you know. Transmit from Mt. Morrison goes away and will be receive only.

Thayne

IMHO, If they do away with the mountain for transmitting and just make it a voter site, they are nuts. Only good thing is that if they want to go ProVoice, simulcasting will cause problems; (AKA Aurora) Maybe it will be No ProVoice, but ESK.

Could we get a pool going on the final answer? ;) Grand prize could be a fully loaded 7200ip--

SCPD

QRT
It all depends on who you talk to over there on a lot of this stuff, but Morrison may still be used as a Multicast site for TX, but not Simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.