27.610 USB Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Tuning around and heard one side of a conversation on 27.610 in USB 9:30 pm this evening. I noticed the frequency was just below 10 meters, though the conversation sounded like hams (very polite and using phonetics). I couldn't catch a call sign but heard the guy was from Alberta. That seems to be about 2500+ miles from me.
Do you suppose these were freebanders? I always expected freebanders to be running CB's but this signal sounded very good, and some amazing propagation!

SCPD

QRT
Yes, that frequency is in the "Freeband". Freeband unofficially extends from above CB channel 40 to just below the 10 meter hamband.

As for that particular frequency, you may at times hear "musical" sounding digital signals in the mode "ROS".

Contrary to common belief, there are many very good radio operators from around the world that operate on "freeband".

If you listen carefully, you can hear a number of European signals coming into the States nearly every morning. I hear France and Italy quite often. By mid-afternoon, or earlier, many stations from South of the border can be heard when propagation to Europe fades.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that frequency is in the "Freeband". Freeband unofficially extends from above CB channel 40 to just below the 10 meter hamband.

As for that particular frequency, you may at times hear "musical" sounding digital signals in the mode "ROS".

Contrary to common belief, there are many very good radio operators from around the world that operate on "freeband".

If you listen carefully, you can hear a number of European signals coming into the States nearly every morning. I hear France and Italy quite often. By mid-afternoon, or earlier, many stations from South of the border can be heard when propagation to Europe fades.

Interestingly, I did hear musical tones on a nearby freq. Totally puzzled on that one. Learning a lot on here. Thanks

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Many freebanders have abandon their modified CB's and purchased low and high end HF ham rigs and HF amplifiers. Some are smart enough to figure out the advantages of an HF rig over a modified CB besides just the extra bit of power.

There is a local group in my area that hangs out on CB channel 38LSB and all of them have newer high end HF rigs, Some are licensed hams also.

SCPD

QRT
Many freebanders have abandon their modified CB's and purchased low and high end HF ham rigs and HF amplifiers. Some are smart enough to figure out the advantages of an HF rig over a modified CB besides just the extra bit of power... Some are licensed hams also.

Many hams in the states have the image of the average 11m op here as being sub-par to hams. One cannot compare the 11 meter activity on the "lower 40" here in the States with the rest of the world.

You'd be surprised at the technical competence of many freebanders around the world. If you'd do a search on the 'net, you'll find a good number of 11m forums (radio clubs with 2 letters in their call) in many languages. I'd match the technical expertise of most of these fellows easily with the ham ops in the States.

Boombox

I've heard some of the musical tones also. I think it's the new, improved versions of the 'roger beep'.

I listen to the freeband a lot. It will be up when 10 meters is dead. I hear a lot of Latin Americans talking in Spanish on 27445 and therabouts. If you understand any Spanish, you can ID stations from all over Central and South America. 27445 seems to be one of the Latin American 'calling channels'.

Last time I was listening to that section of the freeband I heard a guy in Costa Rica working a guy in Mexico and then another guy in Puerto Rico.

elk2370bruce

Many hams in the states have the image of the average 11m op here as being sub-par to hams. One cannot compare the 11 meter activity on the "lower 40" here in the States with the rest of the world.

You'd be surprised at the technical competence of many freebanders around the world. If you'd do a search on the 'net, you'll find a good number of 11m forums (radio clubs with 2 letters in their call) in many languages. I'd match the technical expertise of most of these fellows easily with the ham ops in the States.

I'm not surprised at their technical competence. Its just illegal.

SCPD

QRT
I've heard some of the musical tones also. I think it's the new, improved versions of the 'roger beep'.

Your'e right... some of the stations do use "extended" roger beeps, but that frequency is often used for ROS mode transmissions that sound musical.

You can tell the difference between the two because a ROS mode transmission will last longer than five or ten tones.

(and not play a popular song) hi... hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.