2M\440 Shot Glass Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
who makes the BEST shot glass antenna? i just got a 2006 Ford Escape i run 3 of them now 2 are 700\800 MHZ 1 for Scanner 2nd for 700\800 MHZ Motorola XTL-5000,last is UHF for my other XTL-5000.i have a FT90 Dual Band radio i got new maybe 10+ Years ago need a good shot glass 2m\440 for the roof.

jparks29

John McClane
Maybe if you used standard terms instead of 'shot glass' we'd know what the hell you're talking bout...

I assume you mean low profile.

You're not gonna find a dual band phantom style antenna.....VHF is crap in those antennas, and UHF isn't much better....

A 1/4 wave on 2m is a 3/4 wave on 70cm, just an FYI, it resonates quite well....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For VHF, they all suck equally. Some might suck better (worse?) than others, but they all suck.

I haven't see any of the major antenna manufacturers make a "dual band" phantom style antenna, but I know some of the Cheap Chinese Antenna manufactures (located right next door to the CCR factories!) do.

Trying to squeeze 19" of radiating element into 2 inches doesn't work. Yeah, you can make it resonate on a VHF frequency, but you can do that with a dummy load, too.

What I can tell you about the VHF side of these things:
I know a few people that have tried these VHF phantom/low profile/shot glass/soup can, etc antennas.
All of them. Every single person that I know who has tried one, has regretted it. In fact I've had several people offer me used ones for free, that's how much they value these things.
- they are -very- narrow bandwidth, like 1MHz, maybe a bit less. Not going to cover the entire 2 meter band. That is IF they are tunable. Some of the Chinese ones aren't.
- they don't handle much power. 50 watts max. Anything more and they overheat (kind of like a dummy load).
- they are poor performers. Less than 0 gain (kind of like a dummy load).

Where they do work:
If you've got one frequency or a few that are very closely spaced. If you are within spitting distance of the repeater.

Honestly, it would be cheaper to just by a 50Ω dummy load and mount it on your roof. It would work as well.

On UHF they work a bit better. Cramming 6" of radiator into a 2" tube isn't quite as sucky. As you know, they work pretty well on 700-800MHz since it's not a stretch to put 1/4 wave inside the antenna and make it work. In fact, I have one and it actually works better than 1/4 wave.

But, if you've got to have one, at least let us know what you discover.

thanks for everyone's help what about a good LOW PROFILE (shot glass) 2M VHF antenna? i have a low Clearance Garage Door don't want to put a L bracket on the fender.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but they don't exist. They're a compromise antenna at best. You can't cram enough wire in to make it work worth a dang. If you're driving a pickup, I'd recommend a fold over style antenna in the stake pocket. Still get a full sized antenna, but easy enough to fold down to get in the garage.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Low profile antenna

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer that tried one of these. The range in miles is lower than the SWR reading. As has already been said, forget 2 meters. A cheap quarter wave will out perform any low profile junk.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
As already posted above, you just ain't gonna find one that works!!! I tried one of the CCRs, (rather CCAs) and the swr was over 3, and distances at most was something like 2 1/2 to 3 miles with very weak signal. Go with a standard quarter wave and be happy.

jparks29

John McClane
A simple 1/4 wave whip will bend over and spring back.

Stico makes a very flexible whip. So does Panorama antennas.

Yup. Even comet has a cellular look alike dual band antenna..

My vote is still for a thin 1/4 wave whip or a heavy duty 1/4 wave whip on a spring....

Believe it or not, sometimes longer whips are better as they flex more......

Comtelco A1511, NMOWBQCFT, etc

Rred

I assume the criteria to define "best" is "Which one survives best in a high speed rollover?"

I think the April 2011 issue of QST carried full test results for those.

OhSixTJ

Maybe if you used standard terms instead of 'shot glass' we'd know what the hell you're talking bout...

I assume you mean low profile.

You're not gonna find a dual band phantom style antenna.....VHF is crap in those antennas, and UHF isn't much better....

A 1/4 wave on 2m is a 3/4 wave on 70cm, just an FYI, it resonates quite well....

Wait, you're saying a 1/4 wave 2m antenna will suffice as a dual-band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wait, you're saying a 1/4 wave 2m antenna will suffice as a dual-band?

Yes. A 1/4 wave VHF antenna tuned for the 2 meter amateur radio band is a 3/4 wave antenna on the 70 centimeter band. I ran a dual band amateur radio like this for years.
I trimmed my antenna for low SWR on 2 meters and it had even lower SWR on 70 cm.

The trade off is that the radiation pattern for a 3/4 wave antenna is such that more energy is shot up at an angle than out at the horizon. Where I live with hills/mountains on 3 sides and the ocean on the other, this worked just fine.

I'd occasionally swap in a Larsen NMO-2/70sh (a purpose built dual band) and I really didn't notice any difference in performance, although that's because of my specific location.

Out on the plains of the central USA, this might not be an ideal solution for UHF work, but it will work.

Plus, if you shop around, it'll cost you a total of about $9.00.

OhSixTJ

Yes. A 1/4 wave VHF antenna tuned for the 2 meter amateur radio band is a 3/4 wave antenna on the 70 centimeter band. I ran a dual band amateur radio like this for years.

I trimmed my antenna for low SWR on 2 meters and it had even lower SWR on 70 cm.

The trade off is that the radiation pattern for a 3/4 wave antenna is such that more energy is shot up at an angle than out at the horizon. Where I live with hills/mountains on 3 sides and the ocean on the other, this worked just fine.

I'd occasionally swap in a Larsen NMO-2/70sh (a purpose built dual band) and I really didn't notice any difference in performance, although that's because of my specific location.

Out on the plains of the central USA, this might not be an ideal solution for UHF work, but it will work.

Plus, if you shop around, it'll cost you a total of about $9.00.

I actually have one but just recently purchased a dual band radio. I'll use it in the meanwhile as I'm probably gonna be TXing mostly in 2m. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lmrtek

Look into "Compactenna"

They have the widest claimed coverage and performance

Available at Universal Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.