2m,6m,70cm swr meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmel-radioman

Some one I trust has recommended getting a Heath kit model 2102 . But these are hard to find or not cheap to buy . Does any recommend a brand or model number for a good reliable swr meter with out breaking the bank . Thanks for any help you can give me .

AgentCOPP1

The one I use is the Daiwa CN-801. I don't know what's in your budget but you can look here and see what works for you. Try looking at the ones that have lots of reviews and a very high average rating. It also gives you a price so you can comb through that for a little bit. You get what you pay for (generally) so just keep that in mind.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Heath made great equipment at one time. Anything you buy now is decades old, and even if it works is old technology. I grew up near the Heath factory and have several of their products, but they are collector prizes, not every day use radios and meters. If it breaks, finding parts can be impossible, and the natural aging of components can make them inaccurate.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Does any recommend a brand or model number for a good reliable swr meter with out breaking the bank.

Could you please define "breaking the bank" for us? Also define what exactly the requirement is. Is it to make semi-accurate measurements, or would you just like a needle to swing when you squeeze the PTT button?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at Diamond. I have an SX-1100 that I wouldn't trade for anything. They have several models at various prices.

n5ims

You could go with the standard Bird 43 wattmeter (like this one on eBay Nice Bird 43 Thruline Wattmeter with Leather Case | eBay). The Bird 43 is often considered the "industry standard" and used by many professionals. It may not be the best, cheapest, or most expensive, but they're rock solid.

Just make sure you get the correct slug(s) to cover the frequency or frequencies as the power ratings you need. Note that Bird makes the standard slugs, but others make compatible ones as well. Verify that the one(s) you get satisfy your desires and needs as far as frequency, power level, and accuracy.

Wattmeter Element Slug 100W 100 250 MHz for Bird 43 CDI 82032 100C New | eBay
Bird 43 Wattmeter Slug Element 5000H 2 30 MHz 5000 Watts 5KH 5KW | eBay
Bird 43 Wattmeter Element Slug 100D 200 500 MHz 100W New | eBay

The power ratings are important to place your readings into the proper scale on the meter (100 watt slugs make it difficult to tell if it's .1, 1, or 10 watts reflected and pushing 75 watts into a 10 watt slug will peg the meter).

The frequency range is important for an accurate reading. Using a 1 - 30 MHz slug on 450 MHz will give you inaccurate readings for example.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
The Bird 43 is definitely the way to go. These can also be found at hamfests.

prcguy

I'll second the Daiwa CN-801 series, mine reads basically the same as my (4) Bird 43's. In my opinion, a Bird 43 is great for the service guy who needs a rugged, fairly accurate meter for commercial work, but its not for every ham. They look the part connected to a disemboweled radio along side other test equipment used for repair but not so trendy in a modern ham shack.
prcguy

The one I use is the Daiwa CN-801. I don't know what's in your budget but you can look here and see what works for you. Try looking at the ones that have lots of reviews and a very high average rating. It also gives you a price so you can comb through that for a little bit. You get what you pay for (generally) so just keep that in mind.

teufler

I would investigate a Telewave 44ap. Looks like the Bird 43 but NO SLUGS. HANDLES POWER readings from 5 watts to 500, By the time you start collected slugs, for the Bird, you are money ahead by locating a Telewave at a hamfest or thru ebay. Frfequency range is 20mhz to 1 gig.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I would investigate a Telewave 44ap. Looks like the Bird 43 but NO SLUGS. HANDLES POWER readings from 5 watts to 500, By the time you start collected slugs, for the Bird, you are money ahead by locating a Telewave at a hamfest or thru ebay. Frfequency range is 20mhz to 1 gig.

+$1,000? Seems steep for amateur radio use.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin

That is what I use and I like it. We use Bird 43s at work, but changing slugs all the time wasn't for me.

k6cpo

I have a Heathkit 2102 I bought about three years ago. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but it wasn't exorbitant. The meter works fine on my Yaesu Ft-7900 for both SWR and power readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.