2m+70cm antenna, what to buy for home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braluca

Actually I am using a mobile antenna Nagoya MAG-70EL1-W, height is 52 cm with declared gain on 2.15 dBi (2 m) and 3.8 dBi (70cm)
I would like to buy a new antenna, max height 1 m, with increased gain on 2m, still with PL259 connector.
What do you suggest me?
I noticed Diamond SG7500 but I read it has bad SWR in 2m
I shall use at home in Europe, so 144-146 MHz and 430-440 MHz

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Diamond is a mobile antenna and would need a proper ground plane to have a low SWR. By the way 2.15dBi is the gain over an isotropic antenna and is really just unity gain. There is no such thing as an isotropic antenna in the real world. It is a theoretical construct. If you are looking to use a mobile antenna inside, I would suggest using a magnetic mount place on a reasonable sized metal surface. Filing cabinet, refrigerator or a baking sheet to provide the ground plane.

N4DJC

Actually I am using a mobile antenna Nagoya MAG-70EL1-W, height is 52 cm with declared gain on 2.15 dBi (2 m) and 3.8 dBi (70cm)
I would like to buy a new antenna, max height 1 m, with increased gain on 2m, still with PL259 connector.
What do you suggest me?
I noticed Diamond SG7500 but I read it has bad SWR in 2m
I shall use at home in Europe, so 144-146 MHz and 430-440 MHz

An Elk log periodic would work if you don't mind rotating it by hand to the correct azimuth. There’s a similar antenna called a SOTA that’s sold in Europe I think. Mount it on a PVC stand. I use an Elk indoors and have no problem with repeaters 30 miles away. It has a pretty flat SWR across the bands.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
A 1m antenna with any decent gain on 2m? Ehhhhh good luck with that.

As was mentioned, your best bet would really be a yagi of some sort, but then you are going to need a means of rotating it. There are not a whole lot of antennas that length that are going to show much gain on 2m.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The Diamond NR770HB may be the solution. It has the connector you want. The issue may be that it is about 102 cm long. It does fold over. Additionally, the antenna design enables it to work where other antennas cannot and maintain a low SWR.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As with the Diamond SG7500 the OP is considering, the NR770HB is also a mobile antenna, and will not do well without a ground plane. The suggested Dr Fong DBJ-1 is about 1.6 meters long, but has similar gain to the Nagoya antenna the OP is using now and WITHOUT needing a ground plane. It is far less cost than the Diamond X30 I suggested, and much lighter weight / simpler to mount. Besides my DBJ-1 I also have several of our club members using them... all quite satisfied considering the price / performance!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I encourage you popnokick to directly test the NR770HB against other mobile antennas, with and without a ground plane.

I do not understand the Fong antenna suggestion as its length well exceeds the OP's request.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
After re-reading the OP a few times I realize the references to "home" do not mean a base antenna, and that the OP is looking to replace a MOBILE antenna. So the suggestions for base antennas (Diamond X30, Elk yagi, and Fong DBJ-1) are clearly inappropriate... please disregard all of my posts in this thread.

braluca

After re-reading the OP a few times I realize the references to "home" do not mean a base antenna, and that the OP is looking to replace a MOBILE antenna. So the suggestions for base antennas (Diamond X30, Elk yagi, and Fong DBJ-1) are clearly inappropriate... please disregard all of my posts in this thread.
yes, I use inside home or outside on balcony.
I have not orizontal conducting plane.
At home I can use heating element and on balcony vertical metal where to attach with the magnetic base, in that case I plan to buy a 90 degree PL adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.