2m Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bglatour001

Has anyone ever used a K40 antenna on 2m? Is it even possible to tune it to a center frequency of 146.00? And if it is possible, what was the performance like?

fineshot1

Has anyone ever used a K40 antenna on 2m? Is it even possible to tune it to a center frequency of 146.00? And if it is possible, what was the performance like?

I suppose many things are possible, but is it worth the trouble?

Probably not. The K40 is designed and tuned for 27Mhz not 146Mhz.

If its possible you would have to take it apart and completely change the
size and number of turns in the matching coil and cut the whip down in
size and perhaps change a capacitor.

When there are so many cheap 2mtr antennas already on the market
why would one need to do this?

bglatour001

It was just to solve a discussion I had with a friend of mine. I kinda figured as much but he was insisting that it could be used. As for cheap antennas, there's nothing available locally for ham gear. One little section in the local electronics store that deals in commercial gear.

fineshot1

It was just to solve a discussion I had with a friend of mine. I kinda figured as much but he was insisting that it could be used. As for cheap antennas, there's nothing available locally for ham gear. One little section in the local electronics store that deals in commercial gear.

Many things can be used (temporarily) on 2mtrs. Even a coat hanger comes to mind considering
that about 19" of a plane whip is a 1/4 wave on the 2mtr band.

Most of the vhf/uhf rigs designed and made today have power fold back designed into them
so if the antenna does not provide a good match the radio senses the higher swr and lowers
the power output automagicly. But this still does not prevent the final amp brick to heat up,
and as we all know heat is the number one enemy of electronics.

If he uses the K40 warn him not to be long winded in his key ups so as to give the amp in
his radio time to bleed off heat and wish him good luck.

N8IAA

The fact that the whip would be so short, the bandwidth would be extremely narrow, and low power would need to be used. The question would be, WHY:confused:
Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

WHY would you even ask a question like this? On second thought, go ahead and use it because two meter radios are pretty cheap to replace anyway.
n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
As for cheap antennas, there's nothing available locally for ham gear. One little section in the local electronics store that deals in commercial gear.

You clearly have internet access. Do you get postal delivery service?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Some older (circa 1974) CB mobile mag mount antennas can be opened and the coil modified to turn it into a 5/8 wave 2M antenna and retuned for a near 1:1 match. Lots of info on other forums, e.g. QRZ, eham, and magazine articles over the years. Opening the coil is probably going to allow water to seep in when you reclose it and go mobile. This will destroy whatever tuning and operational efficiency you so carefully built. Appears that recent manufacture CB antennas are not easily modifiable.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Some older (circa 1974) CB mobile mag mount antennas can be opened and the coil modified to turn it into a 5/8 wave 2M antenna and retuned for a near 1:1 match. Lots of info on other forums, e.g. QRZ, eham, and magazine articles over the years. Opening the coil is probably going to allow water to seep in when you reclose it and go mobile. This will destroy whatever tuning and operational efficiency you so carefully built. Appears that recent manufacture CB antennas are not easily modifiable.

You can do this easily for the 6 meter band,but NOT 144-148 mhz. Try a 102 or 108" whip and trim it down,but the RIGHT antenna to begin with would be easier!
n9zas

N8IAA

As for cheap antennas, there's nothing available locally for ham gear. One little section in the local electronics store that deals in commercial gear.

Do they sell 1/4 wave VHF antennas? Because, if they do, the whip should be at the low end of 140MHz. Cut the antenna to 146MHz and be happy:)
Larry

reedeb

Actually, my local shop only has 5/8 whips, NMO only, no mag mounts. It's pretty lame in the north for finding ham gear.

A. Find another shop as they aren't doing you a service.

B. Go online and find a company [online store] that will deliver to you. You WILL have to pay wih a card.

Find the correct antenna, no trying to modify a CB ant. into what you need.

bglatour001

A. I live 150 kms from nowhere, not that easy to find another shop.

B. The question was asked to settle a discussion with a non-ham. (See post #3 in this thread)

and

C. I personally BUILD my antennae, much better than anything you can buy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.