2m Dipole Ham Radio Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcmhmedic17

Good afternoon. I have purchased a QRP-Style Full Wave 2 meter Amateur Ham Radio Dipole Antenna, and there is some question as to whether or not I can use this antenna vertical, and as a temp base station antenna without changing the polarity of the fields. Thanks in advance for your time and attention to this question. 73's
Dave
KD2QLT

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You can hang it vertically if you wish, in fact 2m FM is vertically polarized in any case. ;)

prcguy

Can you post a picture or link to the brand and model? In general, a full wavelength antenna would have a four clover leaf pattern and using it vertical would give you a big null at the horizon and poor performance in that mode.

Good afternoon. I have purchased a QRP-Style Full Wave 2 meter Amateur Ham Radio Dipole Antenna, and there is some question as to whether or not I can use this antenna vertical, and as a temp base station antenna without changing the polarity of the fields. Thanks in advance for your time and attention to this question. 73's
Dave
KD2QLT

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would say that this antenna would be better for 2 meter sideband horizontal operation. There seems to be a fixation on these threads with vertical dipoles versus j-poles which are also half wave antennas, but easier to mount vertically. I built a double extended Zepp for six meters which worked out well horizontally.

The other caveat is that you must run the feed line horizontally a quarter wave length when you use a dipole vertically.

We are using stacked vertical dipoles from Telewave on our repeater and they are working very well. However, they come with wiring harnesses and detailed instructions on the spacing between the dipoles and also the spacing from the mast. Not something that is easy to duplicate in a do it yourself project.

A good collinear vertical will be much better it you are mainly interested in 2 meter FM.

prcguy

Its not that hard to build a stacked dipole array for 2m but it would be hard to build something better. I posted a 4-bay VHF dipole array project on RR years ago and here is a link, look for post #5 in this thread: https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/4-bay-vhf-dipole-array-project.109144/

I basically designed and built this antenna in a couple of hours documenting things as it progressed and posted the results. A stacked dipole array will have more omni directional gain for its physical size than any other type of antenna I know of. There is nothing that special in my project except for maybe the novel use of PVC plumbing parts and it can be duplicated easily.

This is probably nothing like what the OP has but its an alternative if he wants to homebrew something with really good performance.

I would say that this antenna would be better for 2 meter sideband horizontal operation. There seems to be a fixation on these threads with vertical dipoles versus j-poles which are also half wave antennas, but easier to mount vertically. I built a double extended Zepp for six meters which worked out well horizontally.

The other caveat is that you must run the feed line horizontally a quarter wave length when you use a dipole vertically.

We are using stacked vertical dipoles from Telewave on our repeater and they are working very well. However, they come with wiring harnesses and detailed instructions on the spacing between the dipoles and also the spacing from the mast. Not something that is easy to duplicate in a do it yourself project.

A good collinear vertical will be much better it you are mainly interested in 2 meter FM.

GW7MGW

My first introduction to 2 meter as VP8BKM everything was horizontal, on returning to UK I found 2 meter was so different, could not believe how different, although day to day range would vary, it did not vary much, in 4 years on Falklands never has isotropic propagation and sporadic E was unheard of, however in the UK (GW7MGW) range could vary from 10 to 100 miles.

I still had halo aerial so one day I tried an experiment, using SSB I had a 7/8th whip and a halo with a switch, I was in a flat area and the station I was doing the test with had a rather good horizontal beam, the signal as expected was to start with better with halo, a second station joined in and had it not joined in I had reached about the limit and would have stopped at around 40 miles, then the signal came back, at around 60 mile and finally lost at around 80 miles, finally lost contact, however by this time, vertical was working better than horizontal, it does seem as distance increases it does not really matter which polarization is used.

It even today surprises me how it does not always follow expected rules. So have a go, suck it and see, as long as the VSWR is within limits so no damage to radio, give it a go.

W5lz

A 1/2wave dipole will work on any band if it's tuned for that band. Doesn't matter what it's polarization is.

Status
Not open for further replies.