2meter VS 70cm For Simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple HT's I wanted to use for simplex talk with a friend while in rural wooded areas. My question is what band is better to use? Pay in mind there will have rubber ducky antennas. Does the shorter wavelength of 70cm work better with rubber ducky antennas? Or do the limitations of 70cm as related to its performance in wooded areas give it a disadvantage? I'm betting the differences are minor but I'd sure like to hear other opinions on the matter. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
VHF tends to work better in the forested areas. If you look at the National Forest Service radio systems, their operations are mostly on VHF. Same with forest fire fighting agencies, Boise NIFC, etc.

UHF can work well in some cases but lots of foliage tends to absorb the RF.

I've used both GMRS (UHF) and 2 meter VHF while out on ATV's. VHF has proven to be a bit more reliable. If I was faced with your choice, I go VHF and get some more efficient (longer) antennas.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
For simplex, an HT with a ducky will be about the same on VHF and UHF. Neither will work very well.

You need an outside antenna mounted as high as possible for the best coverage.

An outfit I worked for changed their radio system from 155 Mhz to 418 Mhz.. Whoever sold them the new radio system claimed that the UHF frequency would work better in a larger city because it would bounce off the high buildings. while VHF would be absorbed. FWIW I never noticed much difference at all.

Delta33

For simplex, an HT with a ducky will be about the same on VHF and UHF. Neither will work very well.

You need an outside antenna mounted as high as possible for the best coverage.

An outfit I worked for changed their radio system from 155 Mhz to 418 Mhz.. Whoever sold them the new radio system claimed that the UHF frequency would work better in a larger city because it would bounce off the high buildings. while VHF would be absorbed. FWIW I never noticed much difference at all.
You must not have READ thoroughly. He's interested in handheld distances outside. Not base or mobile ops.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately Anything other then the rubber ducky antennas are impractical for what we do out there. So based on that ill make my decision. I think the best way is to do it is with some plain ole testing

Last edited:

SgtCuts

I have been getting much better results from uhf in my area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.