• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2nd Function on software for TK-3180

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

I was reviewing the software for my TK-3180 when I noticed under "Key Assignment" the "2nd Function" tab where you can add a second function to a key.

I am unable to figure out how to make this function work, does anyone have any ideas?

LTR

You just have to set one of the buttons to be "Function", this is one of the settings in the list of available key assignments. As soon as you do that, the second function column will no longer be grayed out. Then to activate the second function of a button, you just press your "function" button first and then the button.

The function button is associated with the mode reset timer, so make sure this is set high enough to give yourself time to press the second button. If the mode reset timer expires before the second button is pressed, you have to press the function key again.

N2AL

okay, having to set the mode reset timer would make the second function operational- got it! How do I set the mode timer reset? I've been looking in the software but I can not find the setting.

N2AL

LMR,

I found that shortly after posting my last message.

I set one button as function, but when I did, I was unable to make the radio work correctly. Do you happen to have a walkthrough or something you could PM me, or give me any pointers. I've never tried doing this to my radio before, so it's kind of like swimming into uncharted waters for me.

If you want as well, I can e-mail you a copy of my programming file, if you need that to help me set this up, if you don't care.

Any help at this point is grateful.

alawson

LTR

After you set one of the buttons for function, did the 2nd function column go to normal from grayed out? If so, the next thing to do is to set at least one button for a 2nd function, and make sure to check the mode reset timer (I have mine at 3 seconds). Once this is done and you write it to the radio, when you press the button you have set for function, does "FNC" show up in the upper left corner of the display screen? If so, you should be able to then press the button you have set for a 2nd function and it should work (make sure the mode reset timer has not expired, when it does, the "FNC" will disappear from the screen)..

I have my 3180 radio set up for function to be the side 2 key, and the "A" button has scan delete/add for the 1st function and low power for the 2nd function.

Let me know if that works for you.

N2AL

LTR,

Thanks for your help! Figured it out thanks to you. Now only if there was a way to make it go to the second function without having to press the function key- that'd be awesome.

Thanks again.

alawson

Status
Not open for further replies.