3.29 Firmware BC296d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying off & on for the past 2 months to download 3.29 into bc296d, It tells me imposable to rewrite to scanner on the radio display. Has anyone had this problem? If so how did you fix it if you did? Thanks Craig

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Never heard of that error showing up on the display before. Hopefully it is NOT an indication that the flash chip is going South.

FWIW if you have the 3.28 firmware in the radio you're fine. 3.29 is an update for tracking systems that do NOT broadcast table information. Since DTRS does broadcast this information it's not critical to have this update.

You should post this on the Uniden forum and maybe Paul from uniden will post information about the problem.

Phil.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Is the data speed set accordingly with that of the PCs?

I found the 296 to have many com issues. Reset of the scanner was the answer.

Don't you just love firmware "upgrades"?

DVD players, PVRs, (Personal video recorder) CD drives, MP3 players, and of course all components of the computer. I would'nt be surprised if there was a PSU (Power supply unit) that had a firmware to it as well. The list goes on and on. :roll:

Where is the R&D anymore? Enhancements? Enhanced headache in many cases. In my opinion faulty product.
icon8.gif

I have 3.21 in it now, and everything seems to work just fine with the bc296, I wonder if I really need the 3.29? I have not had any problems with the comm ports. All settings with radio & computer are correct. The ARC250PRO works with no problems at all. Ill try uniden forum. I Have looked in the owners manual for resetting the radio can not find out how. The error message show on the computer not on the scanner display, My mistake. Thanks Craig

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Banned
Turn off the scanner press 2- 9 manual and turn on the scanner. If it's in the computer its a com port issue with the scanner. Reset will fix this.

Your board?

If I made a scanner I would have my consumers reset the scanner this way. Press and hold 9 then 2 then 4 then 5 then 5 again then count to two and hold your scanner to ones forehaed. :roll:

Why don't they just put in one of those damn magic little holes that you need a little poker to reset it with.
:lol:

BTW~ You can unlock the scanner by first using a snake rake and then pick the last two pins with a half dimond.

Just kidding, I'm board. :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I cant type, I try to keep responses as short as possible. other wise I would be setting here all day.

poltergeisty said:
Turn off the scanner press 2- 9 manual and turn on the scanner. If it's in the computer its a com port issue with the scanner. Reset will fix this.

Your board?

If I made a scanner I would have my consumers reset the scanner this way. Press and hold 9 then 2 then 4 then 5 then 5 again then count to two and hold your scanner to ones forehaed. :roll:

Why don't they just put in one of those damn magic little holes that you need a little poker to reset it with.

BTW~ You can unlock the scanner by first using a snake rake and then pick the last two pins with a half dimond.

Just kidding, I'm board. :lol:
I reseted the radio then downloaded firmware, got comm port error re download firmware try again. tried but did not work.

poltergeisty

Banned
Don't not what to say other then maybe you have a com port conflict with the computer.

You are sure you successfully reset the scanner? This will blank everything out from memory! After go into the settings of the scanner and make sure PC data transfer is on and the correct speed set.

Do you have or have had anything connected to the com port you are using? Are you using a USB adapter? I had problems myself with a USB adapter, just wont work.

You can hold 2-4-9 while turning on the scanner to see what firmware you have as well.

As far as needing the firmware, if the scanner isn't broke don't try to fix it. I believe the new firmware address the five digit talk group issue with P25 systems, however I have a UHF smartzone programed that has five digit talk groups and don't have problems listening to those. Other things that the firmwate address is 800 MHz sensitivity, I think. The read me file should say, it's up to you.

I still have 3.21 myself, Don't need to upgrade yet I guess but I did make a copy to CD in case I need to. :)

MD5 of all ASCII including VB code tags minus this message of course. 66831F4F692EC38CED864CCF1C446BF9

poltergeisty

Banned

This was talked about on the site for a long time, and still is.

We are in Wave one of the re banding and I was thinking that it is underway now.

There is much to learn about this, it's a very hot topic in the radio community and scanner enthusiasts.

Search the fourms on rebanding

Check out the FCC web site

Look at the wiki

BTW~Undien is suppose to release a firmware upgrade for this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.