3.757 Mhz Time Pips ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing all december a UNID utility station on approx 3.757 + - (depending on listening mode used)...it has a perfect beep every second, sounds exactly like other Time Stations, EXCEPT there has been NO ID's in voice or cw and no time indicators/announcements or even a change in the type of pip to identify the start of a new min, etc.....just one pip every second....i hear it until about 0500z (midnight local) here on the east coast of North Carolina....weak to medium strength.....

this is NOT a ham with a stuck keyer :)

obviously, there is no Time Station listed in Passport or WRTH for this freq.....any ideas ???

Barefootdipole
coastal NC

k9rzz

You might want to notify the Intruder Watch at ARRL. (Intruder Watch) I believe that in IARU Region 2 3757 kHz is only ham and is not shared with other services. Whatever it is it's not good news.

I don't think those 'pip' noises are hindering anyone's enjoyment of their multi-kilowatt DX chasing on 3757.
icon10.gif

Nice catch though and interesting listening, that's for sure.

Last edited:

W2NJS

So, what is it? Another agency of some kind or other ignoring the international radio conventions and putting their stuff on the ham band?

K9RZZ wrote:

"I don't think those 'pip' noises are hindering anyone's enjoyment of their multi-kilowatt DX chasing on 3757."

That misses the point entirely. 80M isn't a DX band of any note, first of all, and we're encouraged to report intruders when and wherever heard, whether or not there's any real hope of doing anything about them. You and I have a right to use CW on 3757 but whoever is putting the pips on there doesn't.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"80M isn't a DX band of any note..."

HUH? Cudda fooled me, every HF band is a DX band when you have proper antennas and a knowledge of when they open. Before you argue I'm coming from a "been there, done that" POV.

"You and I have a right to use CW on 3757 but whoever is putting the pips on there doesn't."

Not necessarily, 80M is a shared band with other services in other ITU zones. My guess is you saying 80M isn't a DX band is because you never heard these other services or worked Amateurs across the pond on it.

Token

The PIP (S30) has been using this freq since 2001 or so that I know of. It is fairly regular to be heard here from just after my local sunset to just after sunrise local for its location. This typically means about a 2 to 4 hour window when I might hear it. On the east coast the window should be longer.

I have never heard locally the daytime freq of 5448 kHz, although I have heard it using various remotes.

T!
Mojave Desert, California, USA.

Russian spook signal:

Mystery Signals of the Short Wave

Indeed, the signal gets dramatically stronger as I get near Russia using the remote Perseus SDR network tonight. Faintly audible here too right now at 0330 UTC in Michigan.

excellent work !

i had suspected russian from the start,like the letter beacons, and i thought central russia to western asiatic russia on the european edge, not the asiatic pacific due to prop characteristics not being asiatic/pacific.....so it certainly fits.....

it's strong and regular as clockwork here...no pun intended :)

thanks...great fun....

with the low bands propagation peaking at this time of the year the european utility signals on 80m and 40m have been VERY loud and VERY many !!! HI HI .....seems more than past years....lots of rtty and digital sigs everywhere on freqs that are quiet over here during the poorer low band propagation months.....DX is good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.