3 New Towers up in St. Charles County, are they the new county towers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

While Traveling down MO-94. I noticed 3 new towers this week. 2 near Mid Rivers Mall Dr and 94 and a new one just S. of the Francis Howell Highschool. (SW of the MSHP/O'Fallon PD tower). Are these the new county towers?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
While Traveling down MO-94. I noticed 3 new towers this week. 2 near Mid Rivers Mall Dr and 94 and a new one just S. of the Francis Howell Highschool. (SW of the MSHP/O'Fallon PD tower). Are these the new county towers?

Look at the map at this link:
WQTK503 (ST. CHARLES COUNTY GOVERNMENT) FCC Callsign Details

It shows the St Charles system as a six site simulcast system.
I recall seeing an application showing one of the sites containing a microwave link back to the STL County site on Olive Street at the old EOC and tower location.
The map in that link should give you a pretty good idea if any of the towers you saw are in fact part of this system.
Of course there could be others still in the application stage.

Six sites, all part of the same simulcast system, could be a nightmare regarding multipath.

stlouisx50

The tower off 94 is located in the MODOT lot. It's appears that it has a lot of microwave antennas on the tower, but it also has other antennas. St. Charles Counties new tower for sure. As far as the one off hwy N it's not a St. Charles County tower....

Multi Path is going to suck for listening.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I took a drive out to the MODOT Hwy 94 tower (site). That location is listed as a site for the new St Louis County system. I understand that StL County, JeffCo and StC Counties will all share the system and will be tied to the city system somehow. (At least this is how I understand it) The Hwy 94 tower looks to have the 700/800 MHz antennas as well as what looks like VHF antennas on it as well as the microwave beams.

Does anyone know any specifics on the 700/800 antennas that will be used? If you look closely it looks like two very narrow antennas inches apart.

Looks like things are starting to heat up with the new radio system.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I took a drive out to the MODOT Hwy 94 tower (site). That location is listed as a site for the new St Louis County system. I understand that StL County, JeffCo and StC Counties will all share the system and will be tied to the city system somehow. (At least this is how I understand it) The Hwy 94 tower looks to have the 700/800 MHz antennas as well as what looks like VHF antennas on it as well as the microwave beams.

Does anyone know any specifics on the 700/800 antennas that will be used? If you look closely it looks like two very narrow antennas inches apart.

Looks like things are starting to heat up with the new radio system.

No specifics on the actual antennas but you are correct in that the systems will be tied together.
They are also tied in with Moswin as the STL city site also carries Moswin traffic now and all these sites carry the same 1CE System ID.

Will be interesting to see how things all come together after everything is online.
I've been monitoring the Active listed frequencies for the STL County locations but have not heard a peep or even any BER testing from any of them as of yet. I'd think the summer foliage is green enough now for Motorola to conduct accurate testing so I'm sure it is just a matter of time.
And as someone else pointed out, some of the microwave backbone sites have not been approved as of yet. Still in a pending status. I think last count showed 12 or 15 pending microwave sites still to go but several microwave sites have been approved and do carry valid and active licenses.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Update.

It dawned on me today that the three towers that I viewed that lay on the borders of St Louis County all have the microwave beams on them as well as other antennas as I reported. It hit me like a V8 commercial. The antennas belonged to each 'county'. The "double sticks' belong to St L County and the others belong to St Charles and Jefferson Counties. Though I do believe there may be a lone VHF antenna on each tower.

The three that I viewed were ......

1. Veterans Memorial Parkway at South Dr next to the St Charles CB Shop.

2. Hwy 94 south of Hwy 64 on the MODOT (or St Charles Co) garage site.

3. (North)Old Hwy 21 west of Hwy 141 across from South County Nursing Home.

All towers share the antennas I mentioned before. And these 'structures' seem to be bigger than the regular St Louis county towers.

The link that someone sent with the St Charles County towers seems to be missing the Parkway/South tower on the map. If I am wrong I apologize up front. I will recheck.

I hope this helps a bit to anyone that is mapping the towers.

Yes the foliage is thick right now and testing should start soon. (I would think) I have been told (unofficially) that the frequencies listed on RR probably are not accurate and we should all expect changes to that list.

Have a great Father's Day

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Update.

The link that someone sent with the St Charles County towers seems to be missing the Parkway/South tower on the map. If I am wrong I apologize up front. I will recheck.

Yes the foliage is thick right now and testing should start soon. (I would think) I have been told (unofficially) that the frequencies listed on RR probably are not accurate and we should all expect changes to that list.

I'm not sure if that was my links that I posted but the application number could have been missing from the Parkway/South tower at the time.
I suspect there are or will be other apps as this system matures also and App searching the FCC site is one I never liked doing!

stlouisx50

Update.

It dawned on me today that the three towers that I viewed that lay on the borders of St Louis County all have the microwave beams on them as well as other antennas as I reported. It hit me like a V8 commercial. The antennas belonged to each 'county'. The "double sticks' belong to St L County and the others belong to St Charles and Jefferson Counties. Though I do believe there may be a lone VHF antenna on each tower.

The three that I viewed were ......

1. Veterans Memorial Parkway at South Dr next to the St Charles CB Shop.

2. Hwy 94 south of Hwy 64 on the MODOT (or St Charles Co) garage site.

3. (North)Old Hwy 21 west of Hwy 141 across from South County Nursing Home.

All towers share the antennas I mentioned before. And these 'structures' seem to be bigger than the regular St Louis county towers.

I was going to get a photo of the tower off VMP but was riding passenger. By the time I could get the camera to load, I had trees blocking my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.