• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

3 tones, every 15 seconds on GMRS Moto Ch. 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumz0rz

On 9/7 I was putting away a pair of radios and out of boredom decided to monitor Moto Ch. 20 (last channel I had used) to see if I could hear anything. Sure enough, I heard a series of 3 tones, in quick succession, every 15 seconds. The signal was not picked up by the radio, only audible if I held down the monitor button on my radio.

This was on Moto Ch. 20 which covers the frequency 462.675MHz ("675"). I scanned up and down a few channels but heard nothing elsewhere.

The tones sound like DTMF tones, however the pitches do not match any of the standard tones (1-9, *, #).

Anyone have any ideas as to what this is? It's really piqued my interest.

I've uploaded a recording to SoundCloud below:
https://soundcloud.com/drumz0rz/tones-on-gmrs-ch-20

Thanks!

Last edited:

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
To the ear, it sounds like DTMF tones "024" with a timing of around 100ms on and off. I can't seem to download that file to confirm though.

As to what it's for, no telling. It could be used as some kind of telemetry, or It could be some kind of makeshift CWIDer on someones GMRS repeater, although the 15 second interval makes no sense. More likely it could simply be someone screwing around with a repeater controller, telemetry radio, or similar.

FYI, if you are monitoring channel 20 on a FRS/GMRS radio, you are listening to 462.675 MHz. 467.675 is the input frequency for a repeater operating on 462.675.

ecps92

I've seen Campus/Hospital, Large Office Complexes with Call Boxes that have been known to appear almost anywhere in the spectrum, could be one of those.

On 9/7 I was putting away a pair of radios and out of boredom decided to monitor Moto Ch. 20 (last channel I had used) to see if I could hear anything. Sure enough, I heard a series of 3 tones, in quick succession, every 15 seconds. The signal was not picked up by the radio, only audible if I held down the monitor button on my radio.

This was on Moto Ch. 20 which covers the frequency 462.675MHz ("675"). I scanned up and down a few channels but heard nothing elsewhere.

The tones sound like DTMF tones, however the pitches do not match any of the standard tones (1-9, *, #).

Anyone have any ideas as to what this is? It's really piqued my interest.

I've uploaded a recording to SoundCloud below:
https://soundcloud.com/drumz0rz/tones-on-gmrs-ch-20

Thanks!

BonziBuddy

There is a post on the mygmrs forum about this. There Captain056 pointed out:

The Model 38 Max Zetron Controller will sound over the air a DTMF burst every 15 seconds when there is a continuous carrier on the input of the repeater

Confirmed in the manual on page 3-5

They believe it's more likely a malfunction of the repeater controller.

Attachments

• Max38.jpg
    Max38.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,192

quarterwave

It's an alarm/alert from someone's repeater controller. I've heard similar on commercial repeaters.

ipfd320

Banned
I Live in Bay Shore Long Island--the Freq of 462.675 is listed for Westchester React-which i haven,t Heard in Yrs. now--I Myself are Getting the Same Set of Tones here with a 3 bars out of 5 on my Radio on the Output Side (462.675)--I Switched to the Input Freq of 467.675 and i,m not Getting anything so its definately not a Repeater here on Long Island

BTW to the Original Poster--You Didnt Mention where you are from Hearing this Set of Tones (area you are in)

drumz0rz

Interesting, thanks for the ideas. I was in Huntington, NY, so not too far from Bay Shore

KF5YDR

I Switched to the Input Freq of 467.675 and i,m not Getting anything so its definately not a Repeater.
That just means it isn't a repeated signal. If the repeater controller is generating the tones, you wouldnt hear it on the input.

pricead21

I've been hearing this too from NYC ever since I started scanning the GMRS frequencies a couple months ago.

SCPD

QRT
Ive heard similar sound on ch 1 and 6 here in illinois. Found it to be a telemetry beacon on a few local water districts using FRS instead of getting a license.

hockeyshrink

I Live in Bay Shore Long Island--the Freq of 462.675 is listed for Westchester React-which i haven,t Heard in Yrs. now--I Myself are Getting the Same Set of Tones here with a 3 bars out of 5 on my Radio on the Output Side (462.675)--I Switched to the Input Freq of 467.675 and i,m not Getting anything so its definately not a Repeater here on Long Island

BTW to the Original Poster--You Didnt Mention where you are from Hearing this Set of Tones (area you are in)

It's not the Westchester County machine. That is still up and running and occasionally will have some users.

I am pretty sure it's Kevin Parrish's (KAG0353) machine. I travel down 95 to DC a lot, and when I am traveling home to Westchester I acquire the signal at the same point on the NJTP that I used to begin hearing Bruce, lol. It's been burping like that for months now.

MaxK98

It could be some kind of repeater controller generating dtmf in the input frequency w/o re-transmitting it onto the output frequency so that bubblepack users get annoyed and don't use that channel

Hamop54

Hear Same Tones 24/7 462.675

I've noticed these tones too. They are not just in my local area. Was wondering what they might be. Perhaps someone's repeater has them programmed as a beacon of sorts but they don't seem to serve any kind of purpose. Anyone know where they are coming from around Northern New Jersey Bergen-Passaic-Essex Counties??

Status
Not open for further replies.