300 to 75 ohm TV balun for dipole / wire loop antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8mcn

It will work fine, in fact, the well known "Scantenna" ships with one to go from 300ohm to 75...........if you are feeding a wire antenna, try to run the 300ohm as close to the receiver as possibly-i assume you are using it for receiving only, as you would need a different setup if you are going to transmit----------IE a balanced line tuner, not much power through 300ohm etc..........

Last edited:

walterb

Premium Subscriber
It will work fine, in fact, the well known "Scantenna" ships with one to go from 300ohm to 75...........if you are feeding a wire antenna, try to run the 300ohm as close to the receiver as possibly-i assume you are using it for receiving only, as you would need a different setup if you are going to transmit----------IE a balanced line tuner, not much power through 300ohm etc..........

Hi, yes. I have a scantenna (works great too) and it uses one. I was just wondering if anybody has used one on a wire dipole or wire loop antenna. I am using it just for receiving.

thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
A resonant dipole is around 70 ohms impedance, so putting a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun is introducing an unnecessary mismatch. Looking at the picture, I'm not convinced that one is 300 ohms. There are 75 ohm baluns, and 75 ohm ribbon line. I suspect THAT is what the scantenna actually uses.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
A resonant dipole is around 70 ohms impedance, so putting a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun is introducing an unnecessary mismatch. Looking at the picture, I'm not convinced that one is 300 ohms. There are 75 ohm baluns, and 75 ohm ribbon line. I suspect THAT is what the scantenna actually uses.

ok, thanks!

k8mcn

i have to disagree,as soon as you introduce the 300ohm twinline to the equation, you cause a mismatch for the receiver that is looking for a 50ohm input on its connector...........now if it is an old receiver like my Hammarlund 145x, no problem running the twinlead directly to the antenna screws, but in think the OP was talking about twinlead 300ohm connecting to 75ohm coax......

zz0468

QRT
Banned
i have to disagree,as soon as you introduce the 300ohm twinline to the equation, you cause a mismatch for the receiver that is looking for a 50ohm input on its connector...........now if it is an old receiver like my Hammarlund 145x, no problem running the twinlead directly to the antenna screws, but in think the OP was talking about twinlead 300ohm connecting to 75ohm coax......

I didn't mean to imply that twin lead should be used. What I was TRYING to express was my mistaken belief that the balun was 300 ohms on the balanced side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.