31.02 Fayetteville area heard in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpaul71

Hi folks,

I wonder can anyone help. Im hearing what sounds like Police traffic on 31.02 from the Fayetteville area via skip here in Ireland.

One unit identifies as "Cumberland 030" - asking for vehicle checks and quoting North Carolina registrations. Also mentions of "Fort Bragg and Macpherson" (turns out to be a road in Fayetteville)

This kind of traffic was also noted on 10/24/13 when many roads in the Fayetteville area were heard being referenced.

PL is 123. Sometimes at good levels.

I dont see anything listed for NC on that freq that could be it. Any idea what exactly it is?

Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, N.Ireland

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Military Police...maybe Ft Bragg?

ecps92

Low Band = the forgotten Band

Looks like some EXPIRED Licenses
Site / Frequency / Market Search Results

Hi folks,

I wonder can anyone help. Im hearing what sounds like Police traffic on 31.02 from the Fayetteville area via skip here in Ireland.

One unit identifies as "Cumberland 030" - asking for vehicle checks and quoting North Carolina registrations. Also mentions of "Fort Bragg and Macpherson" (turns out to be a road in Fayetteville)

This kind of traffic was also noted on 10/24/13 when many roads in the Fayetteville area were heard being referenced.

PL is 123. Sometimes at good levels.

I dont see anything listed for NC on that freq that could be it. Any idea what exactly it is?

Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, N.Ireland

WA4MJF

FCC ULS lists NO licenses for 31.02 in NC. Likely MPs as someone else said. The ones in post above were used by the
NC Forestry Service.

Also, checked Fort Bragg, CA, all VHF High Band.

misterpaul71

It's a weird one. I dont think they are MP's all the mil traffic I ever hear from the US uses a PL of 150 or thereabouts. Also the traffic sounds regular civilian:

Have a listen this is one typical exchange:

https://app.box.com/s/d1e5lurynqtzvkuncjye

In others the dispatch can be heard giving names and addresses of vehicle owners. The Cumberland unit ID and place reference seem to locate it in Fayetteville.

Wonder could it be leaking into the input freq of something else to be rebroadcast by accident.

ecps92

Westminster Mass has a Repeater on 31.02 with 33.02 as the input.
The notes show 123.0 for 33.02 when it was simplex.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQCP431 - WESTMINSTER, TOWN OF - Frequencies Summary

Worcester County Municipal Departments and Utilities - Scan New England Wiki

It's a weird one. I dont think they are MP's all the mil traffic I ever hear from the US uses a PL of 150 or thereabouts. Also the traffic sounds regular civilian:

In others the dispatch can be heard giving names and addresses of vehicle owners. The Cumberland unit ID and place reference seem to locate it in Fayetteville.

Wonder could it be leaking into the input freq of something else to be rebroadcast by accident.

W8EMX

Premium Subscriber
From the sounds of the recording, there are two distinct signal levels between the field unit and the "dispatch" side of things. Definitely points to a simplex operation. Amazingly clear recording.
I'll have to keep my "ears" on that part of the band and see if I can hear any semi-local traffic from here.

misterpaul71

Hi Bill, the only problem with the Westminster Mass idea is: What would the NC Police be doing on 33.02 to hit the repeater.

W8EMX - yes two distinct signal levels - the odd thing being - the mobile is much louder.

I'm stumped on this one but its interesting.

ecps92

One of Low Bands mysteries.
I asked someone local to Westminster to keep an ear on it

Hi Bill, the only problem with the Westminster Mass idea is: What would the NC Police be doing on 33.02 to hit the repeater.

W8EMX - yes two distinct signal levels - the odd thing being - the mobile is much louder.

I'm stumped on this one but its interesting.

mjsaunders66

It sounds like civilian police to me based on the phonetics used for the tag. The accents and locations also sound like NC. Definitely not Mass. As to why, i think the deputy was parked close to something but what?

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod

Definitely near ft Bragg home of 82 AIRBORNE division. Paratroopers

The license tag "YRuALEG" "why are you a leg?" is a common insult used by paratroopers to demean other troopers and non airborne army personnel. .

Ft bragg is a large heavily forested area.
The army has a civilian forestry crew working at Ft Bragg.
. They maintained interstate compact equipment in the 31.xx band to maintain interoperability with NC State Forest Service in case of forest fires.
I'm guessing that when NCFS went to 151/159 mhz, Ft Bragg forestry followed the them to vhf hiband and turned the already installed equipment over to the base MPs.

Army radios are not required to be licensed by the FCC, IRAC (the federal government agency equivalent to the FCC) records are classified.
Also, i doubt if the army ever consulted with IRAC on this radio installation.

Last edited:

WA4MJF

Well, that is the tactical radios on tactical vehicles. When I was a MP we had regular Big M MoTrans and MOTRACs in the cars, with Federal lights and Director Sirens just like the civilian police. PL was just regular civilian tones and 16F3 bandwidth. Depending on post you were VHF Low, VHF High or UHF.
This was determined by what the civilian police in the area used so you could go to a mutual aid channel.

Ronnie

ecps92

31.02 R / 33.02 in Mass is Out-of Service - moved to UHF

Might be worth looking at the other 31.02 Licenses for the Country and see who else uses a Repeater....could have been skip getting to that Repeater from NC

One of Low Bands mysteries.
I asked someone local to Westminster to keep an ear on it

Status
Not open for further replies.