325p2 Or 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JCK

Well the time has come to decide what scanner i should buy. Im looking at the 325p2 more and more because it seems like the 325p2 has less complaints and repair issues over the 436HP. i also like the 2 battery over the 3 battery situation. its much easier to charge 2 batteries than it is 3. but i admit im lazy and like the database already in the radio making it much easier to get it up and running. this will be my first uniden since all my gear is either whistler or radio shack. between the 2 which unit receives p25 signals better and which unit handles heavy RF areas better? any info would be great. thanks.

I have owned both. The 436HP was not as good, and it was overpriced. It is not very good at hearing UHF unless you have a very good antenna. The LCD screen is very difficult to read. The screen looks like a text file from an old 1980s computer, or a print out from a 1980s dot matrix printer. It is bigger. It does have more features, but I didn't need any of those. And personally, I hate having to have the SDcard.

The 325P2 is a better size IMO, has a much better,easier to read LCD screen, has better hearing and sound, and is so good I just sold my 436HP. The 436HP does have more programming features which you might not even need, it does have a third battery for longer operating time, but not much else that is appealing to me.

BTW, you can charge either of these scanners by plugging the Mini USB cable into them and into a power source, even a laptop can charge them. Also, both scanners can be run with batteries inside while the scanner is plugged into a Mini USB cable that is attached to a power source. In the latter case, the batteries will not charge unless the scanner is turned off, but the scanner will be powered by the external power source and not drain the batteries. So one cable, a Mini USB to USB cable is used to program the scanners, connect them to a computer, charge their batteries, or run them with an external power source.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest the 436. I love mine and it has features available that the 325 doesn't and would be more future proof via upgrades and updates. I really like all the information that 436 shows on it's display. The 325 is also an excellent scanner also. Smaller and easier to carry around. You can't go wrong with either scanner..

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But the big question is - does the vhf-hi and uhf still suck ?.

No. The C1 design change eliminates the UHF noise from the battery compartment that can interfere with reception when using the factory ducky antenna.

Chris516

I presently have the BC75XLT. I am looking to eventually upgrade. I am leaning towards the 325p2. Because of the general outside design(big screen, big keys). Being similar to my BC75XLT.

My only concern with both, the 325 and the 436. Has to do with 25,000 Dynamically Allocated Channels. Does that mean I will have to go through 25,000 channels, to get rid of erroneous communications?

I don't want to hear communications from, the local moving companies, the transportation division of the public school system, the communications at the various cab companies, communications of HVAC an Plumbing businesses, and the communications of the state, county, and regional public transportation systems'.

paulmohr

Ohhhh, Me, Me, Me. Finally a question I can answer lol. If I get this wrong, someone please correct me.

Chris516, The 25,000 channel thing refers to the Dynamic Memory of the scanner. Basically that is how many channels you can store if you want. 500 max IDs or 1,000 frequencies per system, and a total of 500 systems.

The scanner actually only "scans" the frequencies you have programmed into it. And you can toggle those on and off either by system, site, group or specific channel if you want. You can set up "quick Keys or use what is called "lock out" to choose what you want to listen to at any given time. The most I have had programmed into my scanner (325p2) was just under 1200 channels. And that was covering two states and multiple counties. And I set it up so I could pick and choose what counties I wanted to listen to at any given time by assigning a number key to toggle them on and off. You can also buy a separate GPS device and program the scanner to automatically toggle them on and off based on your physical location. I don't have one of those, I just do it manually but I don't really drive around with my scanner running either.

With the 325 you have to program the systems, groups and channels either manually or by using software, Free scan is what I use, and as the name implies it is free. With the 436 it comes with the data base pre stored on an SD card and you can enter your zip code and it will automatically program itself for your area. You can also use software to customize it if you want. I "think" you can get free software from Uniden for the 436, but I could be wrong, I don't own one.

If you choose to you can scan all the frequencies at one time. You can use a search mode and it will search for frequencies in chunks you designate, pre programmed service ranges or the whole frequency range from I think around 20 some mhz to up to over 1,000 mhz depending on the model of scanner. It will skip ranges that are protected or restricted, like cell phone frequencies and the likes. These are locked out by the factory due to FCC laws I think and the scanners just skip those. Using this method is time consuming, but it is a good way to search for new frequencies that might not be in the database yet.

I don't think using search works for trunked systems unless you have at least one site programmed, have the control channel programmed in and you are in range of a tower that uses that control channel. I don't think you can "search" for control channels, maybe someone with more experience can answer that one.

The sort answer is No, it does not scan 25,000 channels in one sweep. Unless however you tell it to by programming it that way.

paulmohr

Here is some more information on the 325p2 that I own as far as frequency range and scanning speed. I did some quick tests and timed how fast it would scan.

It covers from 25 mhz to 1300 mhz minus the frequencies the factory is required by the FCC to lock out. Some frequencies might be left out for convenience too, not sure how all that works.

Frequency Coverage:

25.0000 - 512.0000 MHz
758.0000 - 823.9875 MHz
849.0125 - 868.9875 MHz
894.0125 - 960.0000 MHz
1240.0000 - 1300.0000 MHz

Someone check my math on this ( I suck at match), but this is what I came up with. I scanned from 200 mhz to 360 mhz with a step of 100 khz which equals 1600 different frequencies I believe. It scanned it in roughly 15 seconds which should equal about 107 frequencies or channels per second. So that would be about 2 channels per second. Does that sound right, or do I need to go back to high school lol.

Keep in mind for actual system scanning it will depend on how your file structure is set up and how you have your hold times set. You can force it to scan a particular system for X amount of seconds if you want. You can also set it to hold on a channel for a certain amount of time once it breaks squelch. This is handy if you are trying to follow a conversation.

One of my configurations is:

21 systems
36 sites
107 groups
1110 channels

It will scan the whole memory bank in just under 8 seconds if it doesn't hit on anything.

A second configuration of just my local stuff:

6 systems
6 sites
8 groups
131 channels

It will scan this memory bank in just under 4 seconds I think. It is kind of hard to time accurately, it scans the conventional systems so fast I can't really time it, under a second. Then it takes a couple seconds to scan the trunked sites because of how I have them set up.

On both of these configurations if I optimized the file structure and didn't use multiple systems to scan the same site I could probably speed up the scan times. On the local set up I have it programmed so each service has its own system and quick key. Like Police, Fire, EMS and State Police each have their own systems so I can turn them on and off easily at will. And the larger configuration covers south Michigan and northern Ohio for a total of 8 counties I think. Each county having its own system with some broken down by service type. This way when I drive to Ohio I can shut off the Michigan systems and turn on the Ohio ones. Or toggle them on and off by county depending on where I am in the state.

Lets say for instance if I took my local configuration and merged all the systems so I just had one system for the conventional channels and one for the trunked system it would probably scan them faster. However I decided to sacrifice a second or two of scan speed for the convenience of being able to quickly toggle systems on and off. And there are various ways of assigning quick quick keys and channel tag numbers to accomplish this. Mine probably is not the most efficient way, but it is easy for me to understand and remember.

And like I said in my other post, this can also be accomplished by connecting a GPS and programming the scanner to use it. Then the scanner would automatically toggle systems and channels on and off based on my physical location and the range I specify using the GPS unit.

If I were going to mount a scanner in a vehicle and actually use it while driving around I would probably go with one of the X36 uniden models, or a TRX whislter model combined with a GPS. That way you would have the built in data base on the SD card and the GPS to sense your physical location.

While we are on the subject of Mobile Scanners I would like to mention the legality of it. It varies by location, and don't believe the internet. According to the internet a mobile scanner is legal in Michigan as long as you don't use it in a crime. When I bought my scanner I got it from a local radio shop that services police vehicle radio systems. So there were a few officers in there at the time. And the salesman said he used to be a deputy as well. When I said the internet said they were legal they all laughed. They all assured me that if I got pulled over and had a mobile scanner that was on I would get cited and they would take the scanner. And I could go to court and argue if it was legal or not. Something to consider anyway.

And if you want to know more about the memory structure on the 325p2 here is a good link to an online manual for it.

Easier to Read BCD325P2 Digital Scanner Manual

I am sure the instructions for the 436 are there as well if you go to the home page.

Chris516

Ohhhh, Me, Me, Me. Finally a question I can answer lol. If I get this wrong, someone please correct me.

Chris516, The 25,000 channel thing refers to the Dynamic Memory of the scanner. Basically that is how many channels you can store if you want. 500 max IDs or 1,000 frequencies per system, and a total of 500 systems.

The scanner actually only "scans" the frequencies you have programmed into it. And you can toggle those on and off either by system, site, group or specific channel if you want. You can set up "quick Keys or use what is called "lock out" to choose what you want to listen to at any given time. The most I have had programmed into my scanner (325p2) was just under 1200 channels. And that was covering two states and multiple counties. And I set it up so I could pick and choose what counties I wanted to listen to at any given time by assigning a number key to toggle them on and off. You can also buy a separate GPS device and program the scanner to automatically toggle them on and off based on your physical location. I don't have one of those, I just do it manually but I don't really drive around with my scanner running either.

With the 325 you have to program the systems, groups and channels either manually or by using software, Free scan is what I use, and as the name implies it is free. With the 436 it comes with the data base pre stored on an SD card and you can enter your zip code and it will automatically program itself for your area. You can also use software to customize it if you want. I "think" you can get free software from Uniden for the 436, but I could be wrong, I don't own one.

If you choose to you can scan all the frequencies at one time. You can use a search mode and it will search for frequencies in chunks you designate, pre programmed service ranges or the whole frequency range from I think around 20 some mhz to up to over 1,000 mhz depending on the model of scanner. It will skip ranges that are protected or restricted, like cell phone frequencies and the likes. These are locked out by the factory due to FCC laws I think and the scanners just skip those. Using this method is time consuming, but it is a good way to search for new frequencies that might not be in the database yet.

I don't think using search works for trunked systems unless you have at least one site programmed, have the control channel programmed in and you are in range of a tower that uses that control channel. I don't think you can "search" for control channels, maybe someone with more experience can answer that one.

The sort answer is No, it does not scan 25,000 channels in one sweep. Unless however you tell it to by programming it that way.
That is a big relief.

paulmohr

I just read in another thread posted by jonwienke that the unidens scan 80 channels per second! It looks like my measuring method sucks lol.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I set up some conventional systems with a fixed number of freqs per Department, and then used a video camera to record how long it took to scan each Department.

scannersnstuff

the 436's channel capacity is basically determined by the size of the sd card in use. the 325's channel capacity is basically capped at 25,000. However, if you endeavor to listen to that many channel's, you'll miss a lot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The practical difference is when scanning on the go with GPS. The 436 has a nationwide database, so you scan local stuff as you drive anywhere in the US + Canada without reprogramming the radio. With the 325, you can only program stuff from a state or two before you run out of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.