325p2 pick up csp simulcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Can I ask why buy such an old scanner?

Actually, the BCD325P2/BCD996P2 are newer than the BCD436HP/BCD536HP. They store their programming in memory (rather than on an SD-card) which does have some advantages. But perhaps the biggest reason is cost. They run about $100 less than BCD436HP/BCD536HP and are little more than half the cost of a SDS100/SDS200.

The BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 are great scanners. I have them both. But the receiver in them was not designed to handle modern simulcast systems. That is a fact, not an opinion. That does NOT mean they won't work for some people on some systems at some locations. What it DOES mean is that they WON'T work for everyone, everywhere on any system. That is also a fact.

cg

Premium Subscriber
This comes up every time a new person asks about monitoring one of the P25 Phase 2 Simulcast systems. Some people have good luck with the P2 series, some don't. Some have better luck with the SDS, some don't.
If you can:
- Find someone with the scanner you are interested in to stop by and try your area.
- buy from a dealer that allows returns. Know any restocking fees ahead of time.

Even for those who swear by one or another, unless you have tried them all under the exact same conditions, you can't be sure what is best. Even then, moving a quarter mile away can change reception drastically.

Consider a SDR and a program like DSDPlus, SDRTrunk, or UniTrunker to watch activity on the system while you try to monitor via scanner. You may not realize what you are really missing.

chris

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Even for those who swear by one or another, unless you have tried them all under the exact same conditions, you can't be sure what is best. Even then, moving a quarter mile away can change reception drastically.

This.

The 325P2/996P2 will work for some people. For others, the 436HP/536HP. For the rest, the SDS100/200. It all depends on the location and the system being monitored. And "location" might mean moving a few inches on a desk, if you are using the stock antenna.

I don't "swear by one or the other", but I *HAVE* tried all three under the exact same conditions (external antenna connected to Stridsberg multicoupler). At MY location, monitoring our county's simulcast system, the 325P2/996P2 are useless. Won't even lock onto the control channel most of the time, and on the rare occasion when they do, I get snippets of traffic, mostly garbled.

I programmed a 536HP for a friend, and frankly it did much better than I thought it would. If I didn't have an SDS200, I might have thought about getting a 536HP. But I do, so I won't. :)

"It works for me so therefore it will work for you" is not a true statement. I'm also not pushing the SDS scanners. Why would I care what scanner someone who I dont know who is posting on the Internet buys? I could have saved a LOT of money by NOT buying an SDS200 if a BCD996P2 worked for me!

Last edited:

900mhz

You can also use a 1970's Ford bumper jack to change the tire on your 2021 car also it will work but not the best tool for the job.
Bet that jack don't work on a Kenworth.
Anyway, I do monitor many phase 2 systems, CSP included. Base and mobile. If you are serious about hearing traffic without interruption, this is what I found for reliability:

1. Unication G4. If you are serious, worth the investment...does not skip a beat on anything...
2. Uniden SDS line. Works well, but near other 700/800 users (cellular towers) can lose traffic...when mobile, it is not practical to keep adjusting filters, and there is still no guarantee. Front end is rather wide open and could cause issues from overload, even out of band. I live near a high powered VHF high power digital TV station...had to build a notch filter (12 pole...its now below -105 dBm) just to have better than respectable high band reception.
3. Uniden 536HP...does okay, but will get befuddled with handling simulcast. Don't have a 436, but would imagine it would exhibit the same issues.
4. Uniden 325P2/996P2. Does work, however, does miss traffic... gets constipated handling simulcast traffic. Not my choice for reliability.

I run multiple dongles at home, when set up, will outperform everything except the Unication.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Only if you want to rip that bumper off.

You can also use a 1970's Ford bumper jack to change the tire on your 2021 car also it will work but not the best tool for the job.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
I use a unication as well, only time it really goes out of range is inside of buildings, and sometimes when driving it will go out of range momentarily when switching between sites. But pretty much everywhere that my radio is in range, my pager is also in range.

900mhz

I use a unication as well, only time it really goes out of range is inside of buildings, and sometimes when driving it will go out of range momentarily when switching between sites. But pretty much everywhere that my radio is in range, my pager is also in range.
which isn't bad, considering the G4 does not affiliate.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
2. Uniden SDS line. Works well, but near other 700/800 users (cellular towers) can lose traffic...when mobile, it is not practical to keep adjusting filters, and there is still no guarantee. Front end is rather wide open and could cause issues from overload, even out of band. I live near a high powered VHF high power digital TV station...had to build a notch filter (12 pole...its now below -105 dBm) just to have better than respectable high band reception.
3. Uniden 536HP...does okay, but will get befuddled with handling simulcast. Don't have a 436, but would imagine it would exhibit the same issues.

I know of the site you speak of, and you also have a couple of high powered FMs to deal with as well.
One of which is 15kW with a low elevation gain panel antenna. I used to live in a hot RF environment and knowing how to properly filter is a must do.

The 536 does the same as the 436. There is no difference. When I have travelled across CT with the 536 and SDS running side by side. (Same gain antennas on the back of my Jeep), the SDS always outperforms the 536. The SDS will lock onto the transmission faster and retain it longer than the 536 will. I just keep the NAC in search on all the CLMRN sites and leave it on the "Normal" filter, and have usually decent luck with it.

MarkB513

This comes up every time a new person asks about monitoring one of the P25 Phase 2 Simulcast systems. Some people have good luck with the P2 series, some don't. Some have better luck with the SDS, some don't.
If you can:
- Find someone with the scanner you are interested in to stop by and try your area.
- buy from a dealer that allows returns. Know any restocking fees ahead of time.

Consider a SDR and a program like DSDPlus, SDRTrunk, or UniTrunker to watch activity on the system while you try to monitor via scanner. You may not realize what you are really missing.

chris

The signs of simulcast issues I see with my BCD996P2 is the scanner momentarily stops scanning with a talk group displayed yet no audio or you receive the audio, but it resumes scanning immediately after ignoring the delay option. As you mentioned, both are totally random depending on where I'm located. Generally I have good luck whereas I can monitor complete conversations, but I know I'm likely missing them completely as well. I would love to hear that Uniden is working on a SDS version that's a bit more sizable for mobile (besides the portable). It's too big and to much display to be in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.