325p2 rechargeable vs alkalines

chuckinnc

Bought a used 325p2, it came with rechargables aa's & worked well, however I went on vacation and forgot the charger so I bought alkaline AA's. Used several sets till we got back home, now the scanner turns on and shutsdown with rechargables. I tried this several times and also checked the nicads but the scanner seems like it programed itself to accept only alkilines. I know alklines have a slightly higher voltage, my old pro106 radio shack scanner has a separate battery holder for alkiline or rechargables and the scanner has a seperate contact to match whichever holder is used. Anyway I am trying to figure what's going on with the 325p2.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does it work on external power? If it runs on alkaline batteries and not rechargeables, the rechargeable batteries are dead and need to be charged. The scanner will not operate on external power and charge at the same time. When you first plug in external power with the scanner off, you must press E for the scanner to start charging. If you turn on the scanner, it will not charge. You must have external power and the scanner turned off for the batteries to charge. Double check that the batteries are installed in the proper direction.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It had nicads... Use NIMH instead. Get 2 sets and an external charger. Nicads have a memory effect that can shorten their life.

chuckinnc

Does it work on external power? If it runs on alkaline batteries and not rechargeables, the rechargeable batteries are dead and need to be charged. The scanner will not operate on external power and charge at the same time. When you first plug in external power with the scanner off, you must press E for the scanner to start charging. If you turn on the scanner, it will not charge. You must have external power and the scanner turned off for the batteries to charge. Double check that the batteries are installed in the proper direction.
Never run it off ext power, I charge my AA's seperate with a Maha charger.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Never run it off ext power, I charge my AA's seperate with a Maha charger.
There is nothing wrong with running the scanner on external power. When the scanner is turned on, the batteries will not charge. From the BCD325P2 Owner's Manual: When the scanner is turned on, the scanner will not charge the batteries.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Check to make sure the alkalines have not stressed the battery contacts. (pushed them apart too far)

garys

Premium Subscriber
I found with my P325P2 and rechargeable batteries that even small differences in battery sizes could make it hard to fit the batteries in the scanner. I haven't done a comparison of battery sizes, but if the alkalines are bigger it could be the problem.

Check to make sure the alkalines have not stressed the battery contacts. (pushed them apart too far)