330T------My NEW-old toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

This was just an update to my recent purchase of a NEW BR330T from Scannermaster.

First off I could kick myself in the a$$ for not buying one when they came out. Its an awesome scanner ,I do realize it's "limitations", but I have plenty of other radios for those.

The 346/396XT have always been my favorite scanners. I like the size, the ease of programming, and the overall form factor. The 330T, is no different. The one thing I did swap out right away was the SMA-BNC connector, the 346xt, and 396xt have much more robust (and better looking ones).

With a telescoping antenna it does VERY well against my Tecsun 380, and 880 on SW, actually better in many instances. This is all inside by my computer-----and wifi. Plenty of "noise" in other words, I have no doubt it will do very well outside. As do the 380 and 880.

On analog trunking, it's identical to the 346/396xt. No difference at all.

Mil-Air----VERY well, even better than the 396xt. I have noticed this before, but for some reason, all my analog scanners that do MIL-Air, seem to be a little more sensitive than the P25 scanners I have , that scan the same ranges. Of course could just be location and any number of other things.

Anyway none of this is scientific at all, but I have it about 5 days now, and I am really impressed with it.

Any tricks, or tips (quirks) any other owners may have noticed over the years?

I have just been programming by hand, mostly because I know my way around the menu systems so well. Anyway, If anyone ever wanted one of these (new), Scannermaster still had some as of yesterday. I paid $150. It did have the latest firmware on it in case anybody is curious. My disclaimer also----I do not work for Scannermaster, just passing along information to anyone interested. Mike

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Mine came via UPS yesterday, and I've spent this afternoon reacquainting myself with this gem that I've always kicked myself for ever getting rid of my original.

Superb radio, and my only gripe is that ScannerMaster took out the original SMA/BNC adapter and replaced it with a cheaper version.

trp2525

This was just an update to my recent purchase of a NEW BR330T from Scannermaster...

The 346/396XT have always been my favorite scanners. I like the size, the ease of programming, and the overall form factor. The 330T, is no different...

On analog trunking, it's identical to the 346/396xt. No difference at all...

Anyway, If anyone ever wanted one of these (new), Scannermaster still had some as of yesterday. I paid $150...

FYI if anyone prefers the discontinued BC346XTC instead of the BR330T, Mills Fleet Farm currently has the BC346XTC brand-new for the same $150 (plus $16.95 "Estimated Shipping"): Uniden BC346XTC TrunkTracker III Handheld Scanner - Mills Fleet Farm

If you don't have a preference, the BR330T from Scanner Master might be a better value for you because you can receive FREE shipping by using the promo code freeship75 at checkout: Uniden Bearcat BR330T Police Scanner Radio | Scanner Master

br0adband

Looks like some resellers are coming to the understanding that the days of analog scanners are rapidly approaching and they're dumping stock of the analog models, least that's my take on things. I'd love to get one of the BR330T models - I wanted the 346XT/XTC model for a while but, if I were to compare them side by side at the same price the BR330T wins, hands down no questions asked. I really wish I had known about this offer at Scanner Master a week ago, spent the money I had been saving on some other stuff. I suppose I could return things but it would take a week or more to get all those funds credited back to me and knowing my luck I'd miss the sale. ;)

Oh well, maybe I'll happen upon one in a pawn shop someday like I find a lot of my best deals, who knows. Congrats on the purchases of course, while I've never owned a BR330T itself the 246T I had was close to it and the 396T I got a chance to play with had the same basic form factor, I had always wished the 246T had the missing MilAir band and when the BR330T came along shortly after I had in some ways regretted the 246T purchase at that time but it proved itself to be an awesome device and still is in almost every respect.

As digital formats move in faster and faster as time passes the analog hardware will find itself in situations where they're useful if tapped I suppose but there's still a lot of traffic to be heard. I've spent the past few days getting this Pro-107 up to speed as the case is, it's not the easiest thing to work with coming from a background of working with more readily programmable scanners with keypads and such but it gets the job done and does very well with the CivAir and MilAir bands so far.

Haley

trp2525, I agree, the $150 is a good deal for either model. Both are excellent, still use my 346xt daily, lots of analog around here. Even our P25 P2 system is still simulcast to all the smaller towns around here on an old EDACS system. Probably for quite some time, they just don't have the cash to upgrade. So I am lucky, lots of RR activity---and I am right below MSP ,CHI, and KC center flight paths, so lots of air activity, no towers but plenty of planes. They are both great scanners for any analog range in my opinion.

br0adband, not sure what your interests are as far as listening, but the 330T does have quite a bit more coverage. I still see them going for "lightly used" on ebay and Amazon, for about $250-$350. So $150 is pretty decent new. Whatever you decide, good luck!

KE5BCP, so did the 330T originally have the adapter like the 346/396 xt's? That's what I am using on mine now, much sturdier and better looking. I really don't like the other style, I never use them. Really makes me nervous when using a telescoping antenna---hence the switch on all my radios.

Mike

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Maybe the 330 didn't originally come with one (can't remember that far back), and they just threw this one in out of the goodness of their hearts.

My 396 and 346 both came with the one that I'm betting you have.

Here's what was in the box with my latest 330:

Attachments

• Smaller.jpg
    Smaller.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 400

Haley

Yep, that's the one. I just don't like that type. Too flimsy for me, the 346/396 xt version is much better in my opinion. Mike

trp2525

Maybe the 330 didn't originally come with one (can't remember that far back), and they just threw this one in out of the goodness of their hearts...

That's a very good possibility as I doubt Uniden would include an adapter in a scanner box that had a label that identified exactly where the adapter was sourced from. IIRC the adapters that I have received in the scanner box when I have purchased Uniden scanners in the past have just been in clear plastic bags with no source labels on them.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Same here - the "quality" adapters that came with my 396's and 346 were in clear, small plastic bags with no label.

I'd hate to know that Scanner Master was removing the good one to sell, while swapping it out for this low-quality piece.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Same here - the "quality" adapters that came with my 396's and 346 were in clear, small plastic bags with no label.

I'd hate to know that Scanner Master was removing the good one to sell, while swapping it out for this low-quality piece.
That is what the did. I previously had a 330T and it came with the Uniden adapter. Scannermaster is selling the Uniden adapters on their website for $7.95. These high quality adapters were only available with a Uniden scanner purchase.

samsat

Ordered mine last weekend thanks to suggestions from the good folks here.
Busy doing the UPS refresh thing but it doesn't make it get here any faster!
NE to SW is a long hall.
This will be my first real scanner having only had communications receivers before and SDR dongles on my PC.
I also have a serial to USB adapter on the way so hope to get it set up using software. Not sure which yet/

trp2525

That is what the did. I previously had a 330T and it came with the Uniden adapter. Scannermaster is selling the Uniden adapters on their website for $7.95. These high quality adapters were only available with a Uniden scanner purchase.

I have a few thoughts on how I would proceed if I received a new Uniden 330T scanner from Scanner Master that didn't include the genuine high-quality Uniden SMA adapter. I would first contact Scanner Master and explain the situation to them and give them the opportunity to swap out the "inferior" aftermarket SMA adapter that was included in the scanner box for the Uniden adapter (that they have in stock according to their website) at no charge to me. You should give the merchant a chance to make things right first before proceeding further.

If I didn't get satisfactory results/customer service from Scanner Master, I would then contact Uniden directly and explain that I was not satisfied with the quality of the non-Uniden adapter that was included in the box of my brand-new 330T scanner. Nicely point out the fact that the scanner is covered by a 1-year Uniden parts/labor warranty and you would like to have the genuine Uniden SMA adapter to use with your new scanner.

YMMV but I would think that either Scanner Master or Uniden (if it got that far) would make things right for you as the customer by providing the Uniden SMA adapter to you at no charge. It wouldn't make sense for either company to alienate a customer and/or generate negative online reviews over an SMA adapter that is selling for $7.95 at retail (Uniden SMA to BNC Adapter | Scanner Master). If anyone tries these suggestions let us know how you make out.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Ordered mine last weekend thanks to suggestions from the good folks here.
Busy doing the UPS refresh thing but it doesn't make it get here any faster!
NE to SW is a long hall.
This will be my first real scanner having only had communications receivers before and SDR dongles on my PC.
I also have a serial to USB adapter on the way so hope to get it set up using software. Not sure which yet/
I received mine today. Had one about 7 years ago I'd bought it used while my BCD396T was in the shop, and sold it a year or so later. I plan to use it for aviation, railroad, and SW if I can rig an antenna. These used to go for over $400 so I couldn't pass up the deal. I got this one with a gift certificate I'd received as a feed incentive.

samsat

Maybe the 330 didn't originally come with one (can't remember that far back), and they just threw this one in out of the goodness of their hearts.

My 396 and 346 both came with the one that I'm betting you have.

Here's what was in the box with my latest 330:

The manual that I found online for the 330T shows that it does indeed come with the adapter and the picture in the manual is of the genuine Uniden adapter.

I hope to have my 330T in hand on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.