33cm and 23cm band activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
It is interesting that the MD520T only does 5W max on 220, but it is probably the max the chip can handle for that band. I have the Anytone 588 and I get all the ladies with my extra watts! It usually sits in my contesting box of radios, but I should pop up an antenna in the garage and keep it fired up on the shelf.

I use 1.25 meters for more than just contesting with handhelds and the characteristics are really interesting. If we didn't have P25 around here, we would probably use 220 more often. We even have a neolithic Icom 220 repeater and it works rather well. I think it was made in the 80's. At one time I even interfaced it with a Raspberry Pi controller using a DMK URIx. That Icom is a battle wagon.

I wish Icom made a 220 MHz D-Star repeater. I'm about to whip up the ID-RP2C controller for the 2m/70cm/23cm repeaters and the D74A would have some fun with that band.
I've never tried 23cm mostly because there's no repeaters anywhere near me but I'd like to try it. How does it compare to 33cm as far as propagation and range? That's the highest band I have access to in my area.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I do not have experience with 23cm yet. I use 33cm simplex and via repeater with handheld and mobile. In my experience the higher the frequency the fewer people I find on those bands. You may want to start another thread to solicit info from those with experience.
I've never tried 23cm mostly because there's no repeaters anywhere near me but I'd like to try it. How does it compare to 33cm as far as propagation and range? That's the highest band I have access to in my area.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I do not have experience with 23cm yet. I use 33cm simplex and via repeater with handheld and mobile. In my experience the higher the frequency the fewer people I find on those bands. You may want to start another thread to solicit info from those with experience.
I have a local 33cm repeater that I can use in my area but it's down for repairs right now. I started a seperate thread to discuss the differences so I don't hog up this thread.

Last edited:

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to the differences between 33cm and 23cm when it comes to mostly range and propagation? I have some experience with 33cm both simplex and repeated but only in analog, I haven't had the opportunity to try any digital modes. I haven't had the opportunity to try anything on 23cm mostly because there is no repeaters anywhere near where I live and the availability/cost of the equipment. I've always been interested in trying it. I'm just looking to hear from people that have tried both bands and to hear your experiences and opinions.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I have a Alinco DJ-G7T that does 33cm. I've only used that part of it a few times, as there is only 1 33cm repeater in the area. It's linked to it's partner repeaters (70cm & 2m) at the same site, so I didn't have to try too hard to get a response. I did notice that 33cm had better reception in some spots than 70cm, but that's as far as I've experienced.

23cm is one band I haven't made it into, due to the equipment sourcing problem.

prcguy

My friends and I bought some Alinco DJ-G29Ts with 900MHz for use at the Dayton Hamstervention to communicate because 2m and 440 are a mess there. We used them for several years it was great not hearing anyone pop up on the freq we used. I programmed several 900 repeaters in my local area and except for an occasional contact the radio didn't get used much. I also had an Alinco DJ-7T with 1200MHz and could never key up any repeaters in my area without connecting it to a base antenna.

I got an Icom 9700 with 10 watts on 1200 and put up a big base antenna for that band and found nobody really using the band in my area. A few repeaters simulcast on 1200 but nobody seems to be using it. Then I came across a cheap Motorola Quantar 900MHz repeater and some XTS-2500 handhelds and a couple of Kenwood mobiles and have been having a good time with the repeater at my house. I got another Quantar 900 repeater and put it on a huge mountain with great coverage and am using the handhelds just fine from 60mi away inside vehicles. I also found a bunch of 900 P25 repeaters in my area with a surprising amount of activity so I took down my 1200 base antenna and put up a 900 base antenna at home to extend my handheld range to distant repeaters.

I think 900 has way more possibilities for amateur simply because there is so much surplus commercial equipment available. For 1200 you are limited to just a few amateur radios and I'm not sure if anyone is making 1200 repeaters at this time.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
..I think 900 has way more possibilities for amateur simply because there is so much surplus commercial equipment available. For 1200 you are limited to just a few amateur radios and I'm not sure if anyone is making 1200 repeaters at this time.

That's what I assumed In Phoenix. Nope, 23cm is more popular.

It's a mystery to me.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've never used 33 cm, but can't imagine there's a huge difference between it and 23 cm when it comes to propagation.

Personally, I'd chose whatever band that has the most established users. That way you'll have more people to talk to.

We have a single P25/FM repeater on 900 MHz and a single D-STAR repeater on 1200 MHz. They were installed with the hopes of garnering interest, but apart from a couple of kerchunks a month, nobody uses them.

The most popular mode on 1200 MHz where I am is SSB. I have an IC-9700 and am part of a loose group of about 8 guys who carry out a 23cm SSB round table on Friday nights. Plus, using SSB with gain antennas you can work DX. I've managed a 300 mile contact so far with my 10 Watts fed to a 45 element Yagi.. I'm actually shopping right now for a 250W 23cm amp so I can get involved in VHF/UHF contests next summer when Tropo propagation is at its best.

WRCM

33cm activity is on its way up. There are pockets of activity and active repeaters all over the country, and radios for the band are not hard to come by. There is even an inexpensive Chinese radio on the market now, the Retevis RT-10.
By contrast, it is somewhat difficult and expensive to even come up with a radio for 23cm.

KC3ECJ

icom unfortunately doesn't seem to want to make 1.2ghz D Star mobiles and handhelds anymore.

Not in my corner of the state, but elsewhere there is a decent amount of D Star repeaters on that band.

Status
Not open for further replies.