33cm and baby monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Just curious how do you guys/gals deal with the nuisance of baby monitors on 900?

In my area it has resulted in some of us using CTCSS on simplex(its really against my operating practices to use CTCSS on simplex) being that there is a baby monitor on 927.500 in the area and another on 921.200 which is one of the local repeaters.

We have moved to other simplex freqs to avoid these nuisances but again I'm curious is to how some of my fellow hams have dealt with it.

WX9EMS

Very interesting. I have not experienced this problem yet. I scan 3 repeaters and a few simplex, but have not heard anything as of yet. I am not so sure how one would work around that. Lets see if anyone else has something to add

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yes, sometimes baby monitors and cordless phones are heard. PL or DPL keeps the nuisance factor down some. And I never forget, we are a licensed service, they are not. We win.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
What's your problem with CTCSS on simplex? If you read much of the 33cm stuff you find a PL of 100.0 and 151.4 is the de facto standard.

mastr

Just curious how do you guys/gals deal with the nuisance of baby monitors on 900?...

If I just don't want to hear it- I use a CTCSS tone.

To make it go away- set up a CW ID "propagation beacon" for every 1-2 minutes, with plenty of deviation and a tone of about 1500Hz. Turn it on at about 0200 local time, and then check back in a few days.

LtDoc

In a nut shell, they are all Part-95 devices that can't cause interference. Identify the offending devices and complain about them, first to the owners, then to the FCC. Simple.
- 'Doc

WX9EMS

If I just don't want to hear it- I use a CTCSS tone.

To make it go away- set up a CW ID "propagation beacon" for every 1-2 minutes, with plenty of deviation and a tone of about 1500Hz. Turn it on at about 0200 local time, and then check back in a few days.

Ha ha! I am sure it wouldn't hang around too long on that frequency.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So why am I not surprised you find garbage on the garbage band? (;->) Part 15 devices or not, deliberately causing interference is a violation of your terms of license so simply avoiding the garbage is the legal solution. That includes any transmissions where you hear non Amateur operations on a shared band, no exceptions so keep it legal and stay safe.

mastr

"Deliberately causing interference" is not my interpretation. I think of it as helping Mom and Dad stay alert and available to tend the child if need be.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
What's your problem with CTCSS on simplex? If you read much of the 33cm stuff you find a PL of 100.0 and 151.4 is the de facto standard.

We have been using CTCSS. My only issue is like say if some one is calling for help and they are not running the same CTCSS we are using. My mobile however which is a GTX as soon as I take it off of the mic hook it goes in to CSQ on rx.

So far in my area I have noticed two baby monitors on 927.500 and one on 921.200 that is one of those video baby monitors.

kb2vxa

Banned
"I think of it as helping Mom and Dad stay alert and available to tend the child if need be."

Your rationale escapes me. That's the intent and purpose of having a baby monitor in the first place. Anything that defeats that purpose is interference WITH that purpose. I'm sure mom and dad would strenuously object to your "help" and consider it endangerment.

"I think of it as helping Mom and Dad stay alert and available to tend the child if need be."

Your rationale escapes me. That's the intent and purpose of having a baby monitor in the first place. Anything that defeats that purpose is interference WITH that purpose. I'm sure mom and dad would strenuously object to your "help" and consider it endangerment.

Maybe so, but they did not go through the time and effort to get a license from the FCC. I think the problem does not lie with the consumer using the baby monitor but the manafacturer. ( Sorry if my spelling is way off, dang touch screen). But I do like the idea of setting up a prop beacon on that freq xD! That was pretty funny.

rescuecomm

We have been using CTCSS. My only issue is like say if some one is calling for help and they are not running the same CTCSS we are using. My mobile however which is a GTX as soon as I take it off of the mic hook it goes in to CSQ on rx.

Use your PL or DPL to avoid interference, since that is why so many repeaters had to go PL since the cell phone innovation. Too many nuisance keyups from not so random noise.

In any event, the baby monitor's owners probably won't even know what the big deal is about. Scanning 900 mhz, I can hear more than a few of those in near my home.

Bob

mastr

I stopped drinking the "serious ham radio operator" Kool-Aid a long time ago. If you still take your daily dose, feel free to ignore my suggestion.

kb2vxa

Banned
Serious ham operator Kool Aid? That sort of attitude is the prime cause of all the crap we have to put up with, you make it clear you're not part of the solution but part of the problem. I should have seen your confusion when you use a Motorola avatar in conjunction with a GE trademarked user name. Now you can lay off the insults, I have nothing else to add to this "discussion".

mastr

I did not intend to insult you, but after your reply, I don't feel too bad about having done so.

Last edited:

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
There are a couple of baby monitors in my area on 927.5. I got bored and DFed one one day, and when I got close I switched over to 10W and asked them where their spicy sausage was in Spanish (donde esta su chorizo picante?) About a minute later I heard "what the hell was that?"

Come at me, bros. :D

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
there are a couple of baby monitors in my area on 927.5. I got bored and dfed one one day, and when i got close i switched over to 10w and asked them where their spicy sausage was in spanish (donde esta su chorizo picante?) about a minute later i heard "what the hell was that?"

come at me, bros. :d

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.