33cm and baby monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Totally forgot about this thread, Don't mean to bring up one that's a couple of months old but I'd figured I'd share an update, After continuous rag chewing on 927.5 the baby monitor finally went away. Yes we could of used a different freq but being that 927.5 is the so called national simplex freq we wanted to use it to see maybe if there was any other local hams in the area that were messing around with 900.

One thing I have learned with this band is how the simplest things can effect how far you can get out and how much you can receive, If plan on using RG58 on 900 you might as well not even waste your time it really kills your power output and your RX sensitivity.

gunmasternd

yay! now can hear yourself and no one answering back lol I can understand buying a radio and not being able to use it. or buying a repeater and getting interference spelling. But really pick another freq and move on with life.

That baby is going to grow up and the monitor is going away. I doubt the 900mhz is hot enuff that you need a repeater or someone listening to simplex. thats like watching paint dry.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Actually there is a group of us that use 900 on a daily bases. Its not as active as the other bands but it is active more then people think depending on where you are located. NJ has a few 900 Repeaters that are pretty active and so does CT. Don't knock it unless you have tried it lol.

rapidcharger

Even if you can't find someone to talk to, you can sing a lullaby to the babies.
laughing.gif

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Last time I was down in jersey the one in little falls was active 927.3375 pl 141.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petnrdx

When I lived in the Seattle area, 900 got really popular. Like 20 years ago. Still lots of repeaters in the Puget Sound area.
When I moved to the Reno area there were only a couple and not very active.
Now there are several more, one on Slide Mtn that is linked to the NC9RS system in middle CA with plenty of activity.
Today I was repairing one of my 900 repeaters that will go back to 8015 ft on Pond Peak Wednesday.
I guess it depends on where you are, and what people are interested in.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Its like that with a lot of bands. There is a guy how moved to the area about year ago from NC, and where he lived 220 was more active them 2 and 440.

AC2OY

Last time I was down in jersey the one in little falls was active 927.3375 pl 141.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You my good man!!! 141.3 is a huge PL tone around here!!! As far as the baby monitor thing goes there putting out that much wattage or power to cause you interference? That stinks.

Last edited:

ab3a

From a purely practical perspective, you need to remember that the people who buy baby monitors are not RF savvy people. Let's not make them hate ham radio by asserting rights in an obnoxious way.

I don't have any pat formulas for dealing with situations like this, but I do suggest being reasonable, offering to pay to replace their baby monitors, and keeping records of every effort to advise and remediate this problem.

Above all, keep it civil and remember that very few people have your background in radio and that many don't even realize that the baby monitor is a radio.

Yes, the public is that ignorant. I wish it were different, but that's not going to change.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
There are a couple of baby monitors in my area on 927.5. I got bored and DFed one one day, and when I got close I switched over to 10W and asked them where their spicy sausage was in Spanish (donde esta su chorizo picante?) About a minute later I heard "what the hell was that?"

Come at me, bros. :D

Intresting. Just outta curiousity, how close were ya when ya did that? From what i recall those baby monitors don`t run that much power anyway, so i bet ya would have to be really near one to be able to even hear it, although i remember a friend i had (he`s now my eye doc :D) from over on the southeast side that was able to hear one for almost four blocks away (he, as did i, volunteered at the local HCC, the Health Care Center), and one day after we got done we started to try to find it, not all that hard. Still, it dosen`t seem all that much of a biggie since the 900MHZ band is even shorter wavelength than 33 cm. Like i said, intresting. N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.