345.000 CG Air Primary: Questioning its use

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
CG Air LA moved to NAS Point Mugu a few years ago, radio line-of sight from me, but I have yet to hear anything on 345. Previously I’d hear them talking to CG LA from this area when on a rescue or doing practice takeoffs & landings at Mugu which I'd follow on Mugu tower.

Am I correct in thinking that since becoming an intimate part of Homeland Security they have deserted 345 for HS VHF encryption?

By the way, I can follow ANG ops at Mugu L&C on UHF including on the ground.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
USCG air stations/aircraft typically are on a UHF P25 freq which may or may not be encrypted at any given time. We have many of these freqs documented in the database. See the USCG Net-4xx freqs. They can also use the USCG VHF P25 freqs.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
163.1375, CG 113, is the P25 freq for this area which I can tell is quite active but is always (at least when I listen) encrypted. I also monitor CG 21, 23, 25, & 27 which are supposedly active in S CA, all encrypted if received.

scannersnstuff

I can confirm when I was in NJ, primary air comms were switched to 412.975, at first clear, and then totally encrypted. Since being in Fla. I've seen several cg aircraft,but have not monitored any comm's.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaymatt1978

They're still on 412.9750 but they don't use it too often. When I hear them they're mostly in the clear but I have heard some encryption too.] Cape May is mainly on VHF

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I guess it depends on where you are. I hear CG Mobile (Alabama) aircraft calling in on 345.0 every now and then.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Still nothing heard on 345 MHz, but I did find something for the CG at Point Mug (PM).

Several months ago I came across P25 in the clear on 165.0875 (repeater) with a NAC of 293 which is the CG. It took all this time to verify what I was sure was the CG at PM. Hours go by with no xmsn & when there were they were very brief and to on station personnel.

A unit will say he’s “going to PM for gas” or “going on patrol.”Finally it was announced “helo inbound.” which nailed it.

Has anyone else come across anything on 165.0875?

The official designation of the CG at PM is Coast Guard Forward Operating Base (FOB) Point Mugu,

ecps92

NAC of $293 is not exclusive to the USCG
$293 is the Default Motorola NAC

165.0875 has been multiple users over the years, from Army/Air Force to US Capitol Police and some USFS

My Guess it is more Naval Base Venture County [NBVC]
altho I have been wrong in the past, nothing this year :)

Still nothing heard on 345 MHz, but I did find something for the CG at Point Mug (PM).

Several months ago I came across P25 in the clear on 165.0875 (repeater) with a NAC of 293 which is the CG. It took all this time to verify what I was sure was the CG at PM. Hours go by with no xmsn & when there were they were very brief and to on station personnel.

A unit will say he’s “going to PM for gas” or “going on patrol.”Finally it was announced “helo inbound.” which nailed it.

Has anyone else come across anything on 165.0875?

The official designation of the CG at PM is Coast Guard Forward Operating Base (FOB) Point Mugu,

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Negative on this being NBVC itself. As I said, even the little they say convinces me it is the CG FOB at NBVC rather than NBVC itself. Such NBVC activity is on United States Department of Defense (14C) Site 509 which I have monitored for years and contributed most the TGs to the DB.

FYI: I retired in 1997 from Point Mugu after 31 years as an electronic engineer so I’m familiar with operations there.

ecps92

See if you can find the input, that might also help in narrowing it down, based on prior Freq assignments

Negative on this being NBVC itself. As I said, even the little they say convinces me it is the CG FOB at NBVC rather than NBVC itself. Such NBVC activity is on United States Department of Defense (14C) Site 509 which I have monitored for years and contributed most the TGs to the DB.

FYI: I retired in 1997 from Point Mugu after 31 years as an electronic engineer so I’m familiar with operations there.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
The xmsns are so brief (a few seconds), so rare (usually over an hour apart), & NBVC 12 air miles away making it virtually impossible to find the input.

jaymatt1978

Her are the air frequencies I have for the Coast Guard:
US COAST GUARD SAR 1345.0000
US COAST GUARD SAR 2237.9000
US COAST GUARD SAR 3326.1500
US COAST GUARD SAR 4353.9000

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
From what I heard late this afternoon it appears that rather than CG FOB Point Mugu, 165.0875 is security for California Air National Guard (CANG) Channel Islands, home of the 146th Airlift Wing, located on separate property adjacent to the Point Mugu airfield but only connected by a taxiway. CANG has their own security. The snippet “going to PM for gas” makes sense as CANG probably uses Point Mugu’s gas pumps for security vehicles.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
The lost is found! Just heard CG helo 6540 (1640 PST) on PM NAS tower take-off. Then I scanned programmed CG frequencies.

Lo & behold, I found them on CG NET 411 413.025 in the clear. Anxious to see what the future holds as to clear vs encrypted.

1710 CG Sector called 6540 for position. 6540 not heard, but Sector acknowledged.

1724 6540 back on Mugu tower for landing.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Turns out I haven't heard 413.025 since my Jan 25 post which definitely was a helo out of Mugu and 413.025 is monitored whenever my 2 scanners having it are on. I'm beginning to think the base or repeater is at Los Angeles/Long Beach out of my reception range. It may take a major incident in this area the see what happens. Stay tuned.

Congratulations, reconrider8. At least we know the freq is legit. Let us know how much you hear it, who seems to control it, and from where..

Status
Not open for further replies.