35.18MHz question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

35.18MHz simplex used to be used by the Niles Flash Cab Association (Niles being a northern suburb of Chicago) until they went with CAD, when the channel went down to zero use. Recently I became curious if the frequency had been recycled by another user so I started scanning it again; after a while I heard some kind of signal barely breaking squelch. Maybe digital, but I can't get it strongly enough to ID it. Has anyone had better luck at hearing & IDing something? (I doubt it's unofficial comm between cabs since none of the cars I've seen have retained an antenna...)

WB9YBM

Digital on VHF low band? Don't think so. The only other active user on this frequency in the state of Illinois is KTP231. I'm not sure how far that is from you but VHF low band propagates a long, long way with the right conditions

Thank you for the information. I'm located in a northern 'burb of Chicago; where's KTP231 transmitting from? As for digital on VHF low band--maybe not commercially (haven't explored that yet all that far) but at least in ham radio applications they certainly use digital on much lower frequencies...

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, Niles Flash Cab Association has a valid FCC license of WPGG338 which expires 1/5/2025 on 35.18 MHz.

The interesting part of this is that the radio company that serviced and renewed licensing for Niles Flash has closed their doors a few years ago. Com/Rad Inc., owned and operated by a good friend of mine, Ed Folta Jr. retired a few years ago. Ed and his crew serviced many taxi cab and limo companies. I have no idea if another company took over their contracts or not.

Just a tidbit of information for you.

WB9YBM

For what it's worth, Niles Flash Cab Association has a valid FCC license of WPGG338 which expires 1/5/2025 on 35.18 MHz.

The interesting part of this is that the radio company that serviced and renewed licensing for Niles Flash has closed their doors a few years ago. Com/Rad Inc., owned and operated by a good friend of mine, Ed Folta Jr. retired a few years ago. Ed and his crew serviced many taxi cab and limo companies. I have no idea if another company took over their contracts or not.

Just a tidbit of information for you.

thank you.

ecps92

Depending on the Radio it could be an image

I had one in low band a few years ago, when I moved to a new QTH,
turns out my chasing of a low band user, turned out to be my local DPW in 460 mhz :)

Might be worth a quick sweep thru UHF and VHF when they are talking to ensure not an image.
35.18MHz simplex used to be used by the Niles Flash Cab Association (Niles being a northern suburb of Chicago) until they went with CAD, when the channel went down to zero use. Recently I became curious if the frequency had been recycled by another user so I started scanning it again; after a while I heard some kind of signal barely breaking squelch. Maybe digital, but I can't get it strongly enough to ID it. Has anyone had better luck at hearing & IDing something? (I doubt it's unofficial comm between cabs since none of the cars I've seen have retained an antenna...)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
FYI: back in the eighties a west police department had MDT that they used on 45 MHz which was their old dispatch freq. until they got a 800 MHz license. The signals were killing some department on the east coast.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
These are possibilities as well..
FCC Licenses for 35.18 in the State of Indiana
LicenseeFrequencyCallsignStatCityCountySvc
KIRKPATRICK, PAUL35.18000000KRR447ACOVINGTONWARRENIG

FCC Licenses for 35.18 in the State of Wisconsin
LicenseeFrequencyCallsignStatCityCountySvc
J & E CONSTRUCTION CO., INC35.18000000WQVR710ACALUMETIG
J & E CONSTRUCTION CO., INC35.18000000WQVR710ASTOCKBRIDGECALUMETIG
KRUG BUS SERVICE, INC.35.18000000WQVF886AMedfordTAYLORIG