• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

38 Lower, Gone to the Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Yep been doing that way fun ..

Tuned my 5 element to 10 meters and put it flat, she's a monster ..haha ...

Having lots of fun 11 country"s 34 contacts so far ..

Getting used to the Kenwood 570-s ..

Taking the General Saturday ...

KDOZBC ..........Thanks Guys .....73

Good to hear Tim, er, I mean KD0ZBC. You're really racking up some contacts!

You can try for WAS on 10 meters, and eventually DXCC on 10 also.

Don't forget to plan for that 40 meter dipole (or inverted V with the center up on the tower) since you'll be getting the general soon. With a tuner, it will also work on 15 meters.

... and best of luck this Saturday!

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
It really depends on where you are. In some areas, you can still find some decent conversation on LSB.

I have some really good conversations on ch 19 AM traveling through the Arkansas Ozarks, and chatting with the locals, who all seem to have CBs to talk to the loggers and forestry workers. Rarely ever run into any crap until the skip starts to come in.

eastsidertim

Passed the general.

Don,t believe every thing you
hear about ham radio already ran across a couple very rude guys because i wasn't doing something like they thought i should ..Don't know why people think they need to be like that sure takes the fun out of it ..

TheSpaceMan

Passed the general.

Don,t believe every thing you
hear about ham radio already ran across a couple very rude guys because i wasn't doing something like they thought i should ..Don't know why people think they need to be like that sure takes the fun out of it ..

You will always find those fogeys who think that they are elite, and will complain and find fault with everything! Just ignore those clowns.

Dawn

I'm not going to take the high ground on this topic, but to a degree, I understand the sentiment that some of you guys might be feeling the cold shoulder as new amateurs. First, to start with, there has always been a seniority factor. When I finally got on 2m, you weren't a member of the club and worse yet, you were young, and not brought in by someone who "elemered" you, nobody would speak to you. That was 1973. I couldn't even join the local 2m club due to not having two members recommend me. The main ARRL chapter club would let me join, but again, due to the fact that I rose from novice myself without any "elmering", there was an institutionalized disdain for those younger folks that did it themselves among the predominantly old farts. I had the credentials, even a commercial ticket at 19 and worked in the trade on equipment these idiots never would have dreamed owning when everything was still crystal controlled, yet I was treated like an idiot with the locals and any technical input fell on deaf ears. Not that I was one to open my mouth either, but anything I said was ignored. When my year membership to the ARRL and the local club was up, I figured "screw it". I grew to like the novice bands on CW and even venturing out into the general section on CW, a WA or WB call at the time was often ignored or someone might refer to you as the "lid". It was beneath an old timer to slow down and bother with a novice, yet they had no problems venturing down in the novice bands like we weren't there.

Part of this attitude is old as the hills unless someone brings you into the group. Another part is the absolute hatred now amongs older amateurs that had to go through the ropes and learn CW and there were no question pools. You had to understand the theory to pass the exams, not memorize answers. Among the amateurs that I pretty much have had life long friendships that were also techs, the general attitude is if the user has anything below a N4 call, they won't speak with them. That attitude came from before the no code and question pools with the Dick Bash cheat booklets that instantly made anyone with a KA or KB call suspect as well as 2x2 calls where some guy shows up on frequency you never heard before sporting and advanced class ticket. Little cues like that caused old timers to back away or refuse to talk with the new guys. That sentiment remains and is even entrenched in many of the newer amateurs that did learn code against the new guys. One of the newer developments I've heard is many of the older guys refuse to operate below 28.5 out of spite. Those that occupy the novice segement are a step above a cb operator and there's no end to the stories that that section has turned into it. Funny, but I certainly don't hear that behavior there when I listen. Actually, I hear very little compared to up above 28.5.

Don't feel so bad, this is old as the ages. Best thing to do like we did at the time is to network with other new guys. We would get on 146.94 simplex when it used to be the national simplex frequency and all rigs came with 34/94 and 94/94 simplex installed and chatted away until we decided to order crystals and move to an lesser known frequency. If we got on a repeater, we just talked among ourselves. Sometimes you'd unkey and find the control operator shut the machine down.

Like anywhere else, you sometimes have to earn the respect even if it's unwarranted because you you have a class of @$$holes that figure you have to pay your dues. Don't sweat it, just stay among your own group and sooner or later you get tolerated and then accepted locally.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Dawn, that SO much relates to the conditions I remember when I got my ticket at the time in 1976. You know what tho, it was amazing how these old farts gave up their discrimination when they needed a DX contact for DXCC (I was in the Panama Canal Zone when I got my ticket). They would clamor in pile-ups trying to get me. I would listen and listen and listen, and then pick out the weakest, youngest, newest sounding station calling. I gave out lots of 4/1. 5/1, 5/2 contacts when there were literally hundreds of 5/9+++ signals there. I knew it had to really tick off those guys with the 100' towers, 2KW amps into a 4 element beam to be ignored while I picked up the weak guys.

I hung out in the 10M novice band a lot. We had voice priviledges in the novice band, whereas the US had to use CW. I would work the CW stations that could hear me using voice, or switch to CW if they had filters that narrowed the bandwidth down.

It was a lot of fun. When I got back to the US, I was automatically welcomed into the clubs because I had been a DX station. I actually did pass the general 20 wpm CW, tests as well as the General, and then Advanced written, without cheat sheets...but it still ticked me off to no end how clickish US hams could be. I had hoped it would be better now a days. I will talk to anyone, and if it means leaving the ham bands and dropping down to CB, so be it.

SCPD

QRT
Dawn, that SO much relates to the conditions I remember when I got my ticket at the time in 1976. You know what tho, it was amazing how these old farts gave up their discrimination when they needed a DX contact for DXCC (I was in the Panama Canal Zone when I got my ticket). They would clamor in pile-ups trying to get me. I would listen and listen and listen, and then pick out the weakest, youngest, newest sounding station calling. I gave out lots of 4/1. 5/1, 5/2 contacts when there were literally hundreds of 5/9+++ signals there. I knew it had to really tick off those guys with the 100' towers, 2KW amps into a 4 element beam to be ignored while I picked up the weak guys .... will talk to anyone, and if it means leaving the ham bands and dropping down to CB, so be it.

davenlr, I like your attitude, and good for you on your selection in the pile-ups. Kudos to you for giving the "little guy" a chance.

Hey Tim, very good to hear about passing the general, and take Spacemans' advice about ignoring the rude ops on the ham bands. Just have fun and learn as you go along. Don't lose sleep over any little perceived mistake you may make in "protocol".

a417

My suggestion
220px-AGM-45_Shrike_detonation.gif

AGM-45 Shrike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and Mancow with the best post I've seen today...

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Channel 38 LSB sounds like a mix of ham radio and redneckism. There are people using pseudo callsigns, and weird expressions like "World Radio 21 waving back at ya....Sendin' the flowers your way." Most of the operators use ham gear and many are hams operating out of band.

SCPD

QRT
What is the big deal about anyone using a CB.Ham operators have as much right using those frequencies as a redneck or any one else does,it does not mean the y are out of band and how would you know if the were using a amateur radio or a cb radio?

CB is free for anyone to use in the right way and I have no clue why you thing a person is using ham gear or a regular 40 channels cb radio.I can tell you what you want to hear same as you can be what you wish on the internet.

There is nothing wrong in what ever kind of language a person wants to use on the CB except cursing or being vulgar.CB users have always used the weird expressions as you call them and it doesn't hurt anyone.

Take a chill pill and sit back and enjoy it,stop being so uptight about everything.Who knows you might being to enjoy it after a while.

teufler

Our HAM CLUB WELCOMED ALL NEW HAMS BUT YOU HAD TO UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM. At meetings, the room was divided down the middle , used for an aisle. From the speakers vantage point, novices and tech set on his left, novies in the back, then the right side was generals, advanced, then extra had the front rows right side. As you advanced, in license privelgies, so to did you advance in your seating . Those days are gone but that was what is was like in the early 70's. For HF operators, some believed that they talked to "no k's,or A', or WA'S. A WD was out of the question. Now that I am an extra, I still retain my original call. My friends all know me, and I have too many QSL cards left . When I would drive, on the highway, I used a cb for awhile. Using Ham talk rather than CB talk, most would not talk to me as they were afraid I was some offical. I finally removed the cb, from the car as, when the family was along, the language on the cb was just not "family" rated. I really enjoyed the comfort of the cb, in having someone that I could talk to if I had a vehicle emergecy. In western Kanss, 20 miles or more was not uncommon. This was at 5 watts into a shakespear antenna. Francis antennas were my favorite though I don't know if either is made any more. I had a few times where I had to call for aid during a snow storm or the car broke down. Well with the CB gone, I found that the ham 2m got better range, the language was better, and it was just as comforting that I had 2 way contact when on the road.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
The REAL enjoyment of ham radio is whatever YOU get enjoyment out of doing, I for one have little to no interest in HF, Field Day is enough HF for me for one year. One nice thing about the hobby is there's so many facets to enjoy that there's literally something for everyone. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

One word of advice - don't get stuck in the "tech trap", where repeaters are the only activity you do. The real enjoyment of ham radio is on HF, communicating with other hams around the world.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I've become obsessed with digi-mode dx on HF and hate using ssb voice Two meters can be fun if you don't mind talking to the same small group of hams all the time. Not really my thing, but that's a matter of personal choice.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
For one thing, the operators talk about their gear all the time. Import 10 meter / 11 meter rigs are right up there with Kenwood and Yaesu.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Take Kenwood & Yaesu and replace it with Wouxun & Beofeng and that would make for a more accurate statement, lol...

For one thing, the operators talk about their gear all the time. Import 10 meter / 11 meter rigs are right up there with Kenwood and Yaesu.

ChetsJug

Really bad these days...

Keep a stiff upper lip, lad! We equate everything as "as it was when we found it". I came online with my first CB, a Panasonic RJ3200, the Christmas before the 40 Channel takeover. In fact it was the 40 channel changeover that allowed us to afford a CB in the first place. Currier's used to cost $300-$500. Then they were $200 or less.

I'm sure if the operators that petitioned the FCC for more channels would have known what they were getting themselves into they would have ditched the effort! Here they ask for more channels to make it less crowded and the FCC in return $Cr3w3d everyone thrice over! They didn't just add some channels, They UNCERTIFIED every 23 channel radio out there! No 23's sold AFTER Jan1st. Thank you very much Uncle Charley! You Bureaucratical Ninny!

Now movies were made, 12" vinyl albums popped up all over the place, Radio Shack was changed forever. You used to look for your car or pickup by looking for the red whip "Firestick". 1978 there's a Firestick on one out of 10 cars in any parking lot. "WHERE's me Flippin Car!" lol The entire retail CB industry had to get rid of as many 23 channels before midnight December 31 as possible. Then came the conversion kits for the ones left behind. But this led to the birth of the $100 CB. Even as low as $25 for a Radio Shack version of a cobra 18. The bottom had dropped out of the market and flooded the airwaves with brats and twits of all ages.

I remember that first summer after the 40's came out. In San Fernando Valley, all the old timers were feeling trapped in a morass of indifference. Let me remember the line up... We had the Channel 5 gang in the east side (Sun Valley to Sylmar). We called it the Arleta Gang, but no one cared where your house lived, Arleta or not. What we know as 6 today was on 7. 9 was still 9. 11 was the teen channel. They were the only ones who read the booklet then, 11 was the call channel, but why go anywhere else, there's no teens anywhere else. 15 was the trucker channel all over the L.A. basin and through the I-15 corridor as far as Las Vegas. North of Las Vegas you switched to 19. The only ones on 19 in L.A. were out of town truckers that didnt know the truckers were on 15 hehe. Then there were 16 upper and 17AM. Both had the same people really, nice older stereotypical folk like Truck Stop waitresses and bowling team captains. (hey, I was 15, I can stereotype if I want to).

The upper SSB channels had clubs on them pretty quick. 40 lower and 38 lower had the Humbugs and I forgot the other one. AMers were unheard of above 23. Those were mostly company channels like Buster Brown uses 26... i think.

Now, What has all this to do with the OP? Okay, I'm narrowing in on that...

When you went over the Grapevine to the north, Old US 99 and I-5 split. In the early to mid 70's the sun spots were at it pretty bad, just like the last few years. you would be talking to people thinking you were following them and you would soon figure out that they were over on the other highway. Smokey reports would become useless real fast lol. California will not use the green mile posts that other states use. You have to look real close. But they are white and go county by county. So the truckers decided to use Ch. 17 for Hwy 99. I remember Ch 23 being used on I-10 through Indio and out to the State line at Blythe. Now 23 seems to be the Spanish channel.

I've seen some sun spot charts and we are going out of a bad cycle. The skip that idiots all over AM are enjoying will be ending in a couple years. When they can't DX with the ease they are finding today, and the fad wears off, they will go away. I hope.

I know that old timers or the next gen of people like me, who have been hanging with the old farts since I was a teen and appreciate channel civility, will be back on channels in good fashion.

The point is, things change. Sometimes they go into hibernation. But as another member pointed out, Radio is a gene. Die Hards will be here to welcome the next wave. Even with the eToys in place, there are some young'nes trying radio out.

Bad times? "This too shall pass".

Hang in there 38er! Unlike the South, 38 will rise again!

:p

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Bad times? "This too shall pass". Hasn't in the last 45 years on crappy band.

Status
Not open for further replies.