• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

38 MHz CB Radio???

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KN6SD

No, not radio guys. That's usually politicians wooed by salesmen that do that. Most of us are quite happy with analog.

Cool... The old Sacramento County UHF system was great, all it needed was new equipment.... The Analog type...

Instead the local politicians went on a spending spree...

Like Jonny Galaga's sig says somewhere "analog is ALREADY interoperable"

:)

K

KN6SD

I don't remember ever hearing of cordless phones and toys on 5 or so channels causing problems for the military.

It wasn't just cordless phones, there was all sorts of wireless part 15 equipment in the old days... I remember Rat Shack having low power walkie talkies on 49 MHz...

prcguy

Ok, now that you weeded out some stuff and have a new band plan, take a step back and look it over very carefully like someone else just proposed this to you. Ask yourself what will these new channels do that cannot be done with existing GMRS or MURS? Be honest and distance yourself from yourself.

If you are still convinced its the thing to do and take it public, then get ready to be whipped and beaten by amateur radio operators, CBers, the FCC and anyone else who has an interest in radio. It will make the worst beating you've had in your life look like a day at the spa. After all the smoke, broken bones and scars heal you still have the FCC to convince and they aren't giving away any frequencies in recent times. They want to auction everything off and squeeze every penny out of every frequency they can.

Good luck with your plan and I actually hope you get somewhere with it just to prove some of us wrong.

Here's my 38 MHz fix...

U.S. 49 MHz VHF-Lo MURS Band Plan
TX/RX Mode of Operation FM (4 Watts rms)

Channel / Frequency / Bandwidth / Recommended Use
1A. 49.6750 (20.00 kHz) Interstate Highway Channel – Long Range
2A. 49.6950 (20.00 kHz) Off Road Vehicle (4WD) channel --- Long Range
3A. 49.7150 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
4A. 49.7350 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
5A. 49.7550 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
6A. 49.7750 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
7A. 49.7950 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
8A. 49.8150 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
9A. 49.8400 (20.00 kHz) Emergency / Travel Assistance ONLY
10A. 49.8650 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
11A. 49.8950 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
12A. 49.9150 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
13A. 49.9350 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
14A. 49.9550 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel
15A. 49.9750 (20.00 kHz) Long Range Talk Around Channel

U.S. 150 MHz VHF-Hi MURS Band Plan
TX/RX Mode of Operation FM (2 Watts rms)

Channel / Frequency / Bandwidth / Recommended Use
1B. 151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz) Short Range Talk Around Channel
2B. 151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz) Short Range Talk Around Channel
3B. 151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz) Truck / Cargo Terminals --- Calling Channel
4B. 154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz) Off Road Vehicle (4WD) channel --- Short Range
5B. 154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz) Interstate Highway Channel – Short Range

K

KN6SD

Ok, now that you weeded out some stuff and have a new band plan, take a step back and look it over very carefully like someone else just proposed this to you. Ask yourself what will these new channels do that cannot be done with existing GMRS or MURS? Be honest.

If you are still convinced its the thing to do then get ready to be whipped and beaten by amateur radio operators, CBers, the FCC and anyone else who has an interest in radio. It will make the worst beating you've had in your life look like a day at the spa. After all the smoke, broken bones and scars heal you still have the FCC to convince and they aren't giving away any frequencies in recent times. They want to auction everything off and squeeze every penny out of every frequency they can.

Good luck with your plan and I actually hope you get somewhere with it just to prove some of us wrong.

You guys need to remember the only reason FRS came into being was because Radio Shack wanted it, nothing more, nothing less...
If I can get one or two manufactures to promote the Dual-Band MURS band plans and radio, I'll bet you the new radios would be on store shelves in under 5 years...

nd5y

You want to play on low band? How about contacting the auction winner in your market area that bought the 35 and 43 MHz paging licenses (the frequencies that used to be for mobile phones) in your market area and see if they will sell or lease you some of their frequencies.

K

KN6SD

You want to play on low band? How about contacting the auction winner in your market area that bought the 35 and 43 MHz paging licenses (the frequencies that used to be for mobile phones) in your market area and see if they will sell or lease you some of their frequencies.

Uh, Tom I have an Amateur License, if I want to play on the Low Band I can play all day long...

My idea was to bring something new to the consumer market...…..

Firekite

Lots of smart people screaming like Sheldon Cooper :)
That’s unnecessarily inflammatory and a flagrant mischaracterization of the responses that seems designed to be combative and start a flame war. I understand that you may be enthusiastic and defensive, but you need to be able to understand others’ perspectives without denigrating them and flippantly dismissing everyone else, writing their notes off as simply being “afraid” of change. If you can’t successfully argue their strongest points, then you don’t understand your own position well enough to respond with anything better than these kinds of unhelpful and misguided ad hominem fallacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.